Grand Hotel has always been on our bucket list. When we heard about the "Celebrate Michigan" package on select nights in September and October we had to give it a try. The package included one night's lodging, a five course dinner, breakfast, a wine and hors d'oeuvres reception on the huge front porch before dinner, and use of all the facilities of the hotel (too bad we don't golf!). The cost after taxes and fees for the two of us came to about $325 per night which we thought was a great price. We were not disappointed.
Grand Hotel is an awesome, historic facility that is one-of-a-kind. Its location overlooking the Straits of Mackinac and the Mackinac Bridge is spectacular. The grounds and facility are gorgeously decorated and maintained. Even though the building is over 125 years old, the accommodations are up-to-date to what you would expect in a modern hotel. Our room and bathroom were immaculate and very comfortable. The flat screen HD TV and wi-fi worked perfectly.
Eating at Grand Hotel was an experience. The dining room is huge and wonderfully decorated. It was definitely not an intimate experience, though. We were told it can hold over eight hundred people. The noise level did get rather high, but not to the point of not being able to carry on a conversation.
The five course dinner was good, but it reminded us of a cruise ship experience. There were three or four appetizer choices, two or three soups, one salad, five or six entrees, and about a dozen desserts or ice creams to choose from. We were a bit disappointed with the entrees and had the impression of mass-produced rather than individually prepared food.
Breakfast was excellent, with the ability to either eat from an extensive menu or from a huge buffet table that had to be at least thirty or forty feet long. We tried both as we stayed two nights. Both were great. At lunch, there was another huge buffet table with an extensive selection of salads, fruits, hot foods, etc. The selection and quality was excellent.
All in all, we had a great time and were not disappointed with our experience. We probably would never pay the full summer rate price to experience Grand Hotel, but if we get the opportunity to return at one of their special package rates we will seriously consider coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island