“Jazz Festival Weekend Sept. 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Bay City, Michigan
“Jazz Festival Weekend Sept. 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our experience at the Grand Hotel was more than we expected. We were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and chose the Grand Hotel for that reason and was not disappointed in any way. We were assigned a suite on the Parlor level which gave us easy access to many public areas in the hotel. The staff and outsanding personal service made our stay very memorable. We also took an escorted tour through the hotel and learned many wonderful details of this amazing property. We would recommend the Grand Hotel to anyone interested in historic sites in a relaxing environment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Korean first
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

As a Michigander I was wholly surprised at the Grand. The history, beauty and grandeur of this place is a 5++ but the operation of it fell short in big ways. I was there for a wedding on the porch, which was to die for. What lacked was the front desk service; our room was not right, our luggage was 'lost' for a couple hours, our room rate was wrong and only corrected as a credit after checkout because someone was verifying all the wedding guests bills. The food was really mediocre, and not just one meal. The drinks are high, even by Four Seasons standards and inconsistently priced around the hotel bars. A manicure by a noticably un-seasoned person was $48 and included nothing more than a brief palm massage. I would come back to visit and walk the grounds but never to stay. Unfortunate really. My husband did say the back nine of the golf course was incredible.

Room Tip: Insist on a king bed if you want one. The rooms are small and having two fulls or queens make it ve...
1 Thank noname9999
Orillia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Absolutely fabulous place to go. Have been there 10 years in a row. Everything was and is superb. Plan to visit again next year. The Hotel is our favourite place to go. The history about the Hotel is great. Love the hotel décor. The horses are also great. Wow is all I can say

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a 3 day weekend at the Grand Hotel and it is truly grand. Professional operation from the ground up. The staff is friendly and polite and everything about the hotel has been well thought out. The food was to die for, the only complaint is that we ate too much. It is expensive, but after having been there, it is worth every penny. So much is included in the hotel rate, well worth the money. Beautiful rooms. A classy operation in so many ways, truly a delight. We can't wait until our next visit.

Longboat Key, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We splurged on a room with a nice view. No disappointment there. But the bed squeeked badly and the air conditioning didn't work the first night. (They did fix it.) The closet had no handles to the doors. It seemed like the sofa and chairs hadn't been replaced since the Nineteenth Century. Good comfort food, extra large portions, but not gourmet.
We filled out their post-visit form with the information above. They asked for our contact and we gave it to them. But they never contacted us. We guess they are only interested in good reviews. Way overpriced!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Thomas J
Saint Joseph, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island has been our Michigan vacation location of choice for over 32 years. The hotel's beautifully appointed rooms, superb cuisine, outstanding personal service, and historic atmosphere provide an exceptional vacation experience in the pristine environment of northern Michigan. While staying at Grand Hotel is a treat in itself, their theme week-ends provide an additional delight to their famous five course dinners, welcoming receptions, full breakfasts, afternoon high tea with live music, and dancing in the evening to the hotel's resident orchestra.
The recent Labor Day Jazz Festival featured well known artists including Ramsey Lewis, Freddy Cole (Nat's younger brother), Branford Marsalis, Dianne Reeves, and several other outstanding musicians. Concerts were held in the theater and outdoors in the expansive Tea Garden below the hotel accompanied by a bountiful cook-out.
Other theme week-ends that we've enjoyed include: Somewhere in Time, Murder Mystery, Titanic, Arts, History, and Wine Tasting. The Ballroom Dancing week-end will be on our next year's agenda.
And, of course, no trip to Grand Hotel is complete without enjoying a beverage of choice in the Copula at the top of the hotel with its spectacular view of Mackinaw Bridge and the Straits of Mackinaw.
Celebrating its 126th Anniversary, Grand Hotel offers an experience and memories that will definitely last a life time.

Room Tip: All rooms are delightfully and individually decorated. Lakeview rooms offer wonderful views of the S...
3 Thank John O
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

The island is a place set apart. To get there, I drove from my home in Wilmington, NC to the RDU airport, two hours away, in order to fly on two planes, not three. Delta to Detroit, and then Delta to Traverse City. Then I rented a car and drove two hours up scenic US 31. I had to stop at Charlevoix and eat at Roquette Burger and Bistro, a block off the street I was on. Amazing burger! I'll review it elsewhere. On up to Mackinaw City for Shepler's Ferry to Mackinac Island, a twenty five minute ride. Then, you can choose to take a horse drawn carriage or walk up the hill to the Grand Hotel. I walked for the exercise. The town is great, a big touristy fun place. Lots of Fudge Shops - every fourth doorway, it seemed, was a fresh fudge shop. Then, lots of T shirt stores, bike rental places, and restaurants. Also, lots of hotels are everywhere. But the Grand Hotel is the Queen. It's like traveling back in time to a place and culture of its own.

The hotel is in some ways like The Greenbriar, but a touch less formal, despite the formality of the traditions, like high tea, and dressing for dinner. I loved everything about the hotel. It's huge and rambling, and there is more eclectic furniture than you've ever seen, in a huge lobby parlor and everywhere else, and the colors are BRIGHT and fun. There's even an art gallery with very nice American Impressionist paintings. And the food was incredible, at every meal. The service is legendary and I saw why. I was going to give a presentation at 8:30 AM, and discovered at 8 that I didn't have Snickers Bars in my bag. I always throw out Snickers Bars for good answers to questions at my talks - I have for 20 years. And I saw a shop in the hotel that had Snickers Bars but didn't open until 8:30, which would be too late for me. I told a man in a snazzy bowtie my conundrum, and it happened that it was Peter the Assistant Manager or something, who had been just standing near the concierge desk and he went into action and found a key and got me my candy fast. There's no problem too small or big for the staff of the Grand Hotel.

The views of the lake from the hotel are pretty spectacular. Try to get a great lake view if you can. But even if you don't have one from your room, there are porches galore and bars and many places to sit and just relax into the beauty of the place.

I loved my room. It was big and comfortable, and I slept well. I never heard hallway noise or exterior noise. It's a great place to restore yourself.

I want to take my family on this time travel trip at some point. I hope this hotel lasts forever.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor, lake view, and it was awesome!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
#2 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!