“A timeless experience on a grand scale”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Lake Placid, New York
“A timeless experience on a grand scale”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

What this place has that sets it apart is superb staffing. Everywhere you turn is a friendly face ready to pamper you.

The view is spectacular, the food excellent and the rooms old but well kept.

A upscale price tag makes the experience elite but bargains can be found off season. Well worth the price just to experience luxury once

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Korean first
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed on the island for two nights in August 2013. One night at The Murray Hotel (eek) and one night at the Grand in one of the "named rooms". We were upgraded to a "named room" upon check in - which of course, was pleasant surprise. These rooms normally go for $389 a person (which includes 3 meals).

Pros: Very clean (except grout along toilet edge), grounds well kept, mostly friendly employees, history, high ceilings in "named room", Starbucks coffee, free wi-fi, few dollars off at Sheplers with a Grand stay, pool on sight (except hours), free snowcones, friendly pool workers and we appreciated the upgrade.

Cons:

1) Beds were comfortable, but small - I'm talking a small double. I understand these rooms were built over 100 years ago, but it is big enough for a standard double/queen upgrade. Heck, even the beds at The Murray were larger. I shared a bed with my 6 year old and it was cramped!

2) Pool hours - perhaps they are listed somewhere, but we missed them. When checking in at 4pm, we overhead someone indicate that the pool closes in 2 hours! My kids love to swim, so this was a big letdown - we would have skipped a tour ride on the island if we would have known this. I'm sure these hours are to curb bathers from coming in while everyone else in the hotel have jackets and dresses on.

3) Our original hotel purchase included a free breakfast. So we head down to the breakfast area at 10:00. Unfortunatley, the breakfast dining/buffet closes at 9:30am, so we were ushered into an area with a continental breakfast. Yogurt, fruit, muffins etc. Also, my son loved his visit last year (with grandmother) and the waiters opened and poured his milk for him, not this time in this area. And not too happy that my room included a breakfast and all I got was a continental breakfast.

Overall, we had a pleasant experience, but was a bit too stuffy for us. The jacket attire for men after 6pm was a little overkill for our family, but for some, I think it would be fun to dress up for the night. We felt awkward coming back to our room, passing a woman & a harp after our dinner downtown, my husband in a t-shirt and myself in a jean skirt. It is a bit noisy in the morning, but I'm ok with it since the building has such a history to it.

It is a very pretty place, but a little too stuffy for us. I can see this being a great place for people 50 and older without kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank pilotwife517
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

With smart phones and constant emails and texts rarely can you disconnect. Grand Hotel is just a very special place. Waking to the plodding of horse hooves, or the consistent reliable service makes for a wonderfully relaxing getaway.

2 Thank MIjudge
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just returned from a four day stay at The Grand Hotel....we loved every minute of it! We stayed in a category 3 room and had plenty of space for our family of five. We have three boys ages 18, 16 and 12 and had plenty of room with the rollaway provided by the hotel. We were able to take advantage of a family package which included golfing deals. The meals included in the price and the golf specials worked out perfect for three active and hungry boys.
The hotel itself is beautiful and well maintained. Every evening there was entertainment on the porch and following dinner the band in the ballroom and piano player in the Cupula Bar were included in the price of the stay.
The grounds and gardens were amazing, as was the swimming pool. The pool is heated and has a large deep end perfect for adults and older children. The shallow end provided a basketball net and huge floating worm for kids to climb on. Snow cones and a attentive pool manager and chair side food/beverage service made for great days spent poolside.
I read many reviews before booking this trip and I can easily say this was one of my favorite family vacations so far. The staff is friendly, there are children of all ages enjoying the various activities offered and at no point did I feel the hotel was stuffy or only for the rich and famous. The casual dining option in the evening is there if you don't want to dress for dinner every night. My family decided to dress every night to enjoy the 5 course meals and the delicious desserts offered. The favorite was the Pecan Ball!
The island itself is beautiful to ride bikes around and walk/hike through. Bike rental is offered at the hotel and well worth the convenience and small hourly charge.

Room Tip: Get a room with a lake view....it's well worth the price. Book the ferry from Shepplers, they t...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Plake2013
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Staying at Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island is a dream. The staff is excellent with speed, service and graciousness. The food is more than tasty. We stayed for 4 nights and every night was a different menu. I love the fact that they have a dress code after 6:00 pm. It is refreshing to see people "dress" for dinner, even the children. It was fun that they had dancing every evening, jazz during dinner, piano in the Cupola Bar, harpist during high tea and after dinner. We had booked a moderate room but was pleasantly surprised to find that we had a corner room with a view of the water. The room had a nice sitting room also. Plenty of room and well decorated. Lots of other things to do on the island too. We plan on returning again next summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

After visiting in 2008, it's taken me a while to get back, but it was even better than I remembered. The sheer splendour of the building, upon approaching on the ferry it was truly breathtaking. I wondered what it must have been like in the 1800's arriving and seeing it for the first time. Long dresses, big hat boxes, and gentlemen in top hats and tails. It truly must have been glorious. So upon my visit a week ago, I sat enjoying high tea... And watching the customers, wondering who they were, did they see such grace as I, the carpet, chairs, flowers all as elegant as each other, the view from the porch across to Mackinaw Bridge was stunning...the sheer elegance of service and grandeur was wonderful... Memories that will last forever

2 Thank Yolanda F
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because of a medical conference. The staff were excellent with service and speed. The food was mediocre at best with repetitive choices. Rooms were tiny and cramped with ugly decor even for the traditional old fashioned charm attempted. View of lake is great from front porch. Wouldn't stay again.

2 Thank LaughLove1