We had a lovely suite that felt as if we were in a treehouse. It wasn't too much more than a regular room. While TGH reminds me of The Greenbrier because both have Dorothy Draper's signature style, due to the remote location it is not quite as luxurious as The Greenbrier.
The pool service was lacking. The grill was closed because the person who knew how to use the grill was sick? My husband had to order sandwiches from the main room and go pick them up himself? Not okay TGH for the price paid. This will deter me from returning soon.
Overall, the room, the charm, horses, and dinner in the restaurant behind the hotel made this experience enjoyable but not without glitches.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island