Grand Hotel
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$161
  • Restaurant
Mission Point(Mackinac Island)
$119
  • Pool
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
$169
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Chippewa Hotel Waterfront(Mackinac Island)(Great Value!)
$129
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
$190
Hotels.com
Hotel Iroquois(Mackinac Island)
  • Breakfast included
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa(Mackinac Island)
  • Spa
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
2,759 results
All reviewscupola barcourse dinnerno tippingthe main dining roomjockey clubgrand experiencebucket listlongest porchhigh teaonce in a lifetimedress codecoat and tiecelebrate michiganpecan balllunch buffetcruise shipterrace room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Been to the island many times over many years. I've always wondered what it would be like to stay at the Grand. Now having stayed here on company expense, I can say it is a great place to stay. However, at $1600 for a three night stay, I can't justify staying here again. It's a great place, don't get me wrong. Everything that has previously been posted is true. I don't need to repeat previous posts. But I've stayed at other hotels on the main drag on the island and the rooms are comparable, if not virtually identical. The food at the Grand is good but not five star. Horribly overpriced if your meals are not included in your room rate or if you're eating here as a non-guest. It's a minimum of $15 for a drink. The place is historic and beautiful but that comes at a great price. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank rjsharon
Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a marvelous visit - 4 days/3 nights for our 39th anniversary. First off, Mackinac Island is amazing - no motorized traffic on the island - only bikes and horse-drawn vehicles. Took Shepler's ferry over from the mainland - very well executed, from the valet car service, to handing over our luggage and seeing it next in our room.

The hotel is amazing. Five star staff, service and food. Our plan included breakfast and dinner, and there was no room for lunch. We took the "back stage" tour, as well as one of the history lecture, from the hotel historian - definitely worth the time.

Biking around the island (8 mile loop) was beautiful, once on a tandem, and five more loops over two days on my road bike.

Horse-drawn carriage tour across the State Park was also very worthwhile.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the lake view - the higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank USMA74
Reviewed June 27, 2013

For my wife's late June birthday, we knocked off one of the items on her bucket list - a stay at the Grand Hotel! I had seen and read about the hotel decades ago, but never stepped foot on the grounds. My wife, on the other hand, has been stalking the place ever since the movie "Somewhere in Time"

We were fortunate to have found a room/meal package on the hotel's web site that was available on her birthday! That's the first tip - check the web site, especially if you are flexible on your travel dates. Our package included the room, dinner, breakfast, golf, an evening reception, and entry to the Fort and other attractions.

We understood the rooms on such packages wouldn't be the best, but the only thing lacking was the view. The room itself was quite comfortable and quiet. The bathroom was large, and ventilation was good. The beds were also comfortable.

The evening reception was held on the HUGE porch that overlooks the gorgeous gardens and the lake, including a view of the bridge. Dinner was followed by a five-course dinner that was scrumptious, and we were attended by awesome servers. Ditto for Breakfast.

The service simply could not have been any better!

There are lots of restaurants and shops on the islands, so one does not need to eat on the hotel property. We also enjoyed a lunch down in the city, and some nice walking right in the mansion neighborhood of the hotel.

We also took the "carriage" tour of the island, but that's another story.

This was an expensive trip, considering fuel expense, ferry expense, lodging, food, and entertainment. It could have been much worse without the travel special, but all in all we have no regrets.

I will recommend this destination to many friends in the coming weeks.

Room Tip: There are many rooms - you'll get what you pay for. Discount rooms will overlook the multi-colored roof of the convention facility. The best rooms will face the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am glad my company paid for this. I would have been disappointed if I was out of pocket.

Let me break this down into pros and cons.

Pros - beautiful property - stunning grounds and building. Worth seeing, absolutely. (Do you have to stay there to do so? Not at all, as testified to by the hoards of tourists all over the place.) Staff were very attentive, and the "no tipping" sign above reception is a welcome change - didn't feel like I had to keep small bills in my pocket all the time. Free wI-fi - worked very well. Good reception throughout hotel. As I was attending a conference as an exhibitor, the staff were also helpful throughout my set up and stay. Exhibitor room was lovely. Luggage handling from ferry was great. The stables and carriage museum were well kept and interesting. The art gallery was great. Renting a bicycle was easy, from onsite. Pool was beautiful. Cupola Bar was great.

Cons - Price, price, price, price, price. Rack rate online of 650/night - add your meals and a family of four could cost you a grand a day for the privilege. Not worth it. My conference rate was 438/day, including meals. Most expensive hotel we have ever paid for as a company. And the meals? Strictly okay - not great, just okay. Breakfast was a mediocre buffet or a small number of a la carte items. I have had better breakfast buffets in a Best Western. Lunch was a bigger buffet, but still only 3 entrees and side dishes. Dessert assortment and seafood offerings were good. Dinner was a 5 course affair - and as another reviewer commented, like a cruise line dinner. Select from the menu and it comes to your table in waves. Good but not great, and for the price (70/pp for dinner alone) not good value. My room was very very average - you would not have known it was a supposed 4 or 5 star property. I think it was a converted linen storage area. As I came out of the elevator, there was not even a reference to the room # - it said 100-150 to the right - 152-200 to the left. I was room 151. It was okay in size, but there were exposed pipes and vents at the ceiling level, and only one small window in a corner - that looked out onto - nothing. Cluster of roofing and drainage tile. Bathroom was small and had no bath - just a walk in shower. TV was so so - HBO had no audio. Air conditioner rattled all night. My door was ill-fitting - had to set the deadbolt to feel it was securely shut. Due to poor fit sound from hallway penetrated easily, so I heard every conversation as people passed.

The island itself is beautiful - and there are many inns and B&B's available. I would return to the island, but not to the Grand Hotel - not if I had to pay the bill.

Resort style properties in Vegas or in the Caribbean have better rooms and amenities, for far lower cost.

I like historical buildings and a sense of history - but not at that price.

Room Tip: room 151 is highly average - I guess if you have the option, ask for lake views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank theappleguy
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We LOVED the lobby of the Grand Hotel, but the guest rooms with their old time charm, were dated. Our dinner, at $70 a plate, was nothing special and the dining room seats 1300. Beakfast, which was included in our rate, was better. We really enjoyed high tea, and we especially enjoyed the paintings from the Manoogian Collection (American Impressionsism).
We got a special holiday rate which was less than $400 a night. We enjoyed the carriage tour although it was a cold, rainy day. Everyone told us to dress warmly early in the summer and we needed the coats we took.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends