The Grand is still grand. Staying here is very much like being on a cruise--if you eat in the main dining room, you dress for dinner which is served by waiters in white ties and tailcoats. Even breakfast is a multi-course meal (I loved the banana-raspberriy smoothies). The lotions and soaps and indeed the whole place smells like geraniums.
If your package includes meals, the trip is really less expensive than it would be if purchased separately. There is no tipping and your luggage transfers are included. For entertainment, the ballroom opens at 9:30 every evening for dancing and the Cupola Bar offers a great view. The Fort was also free with our package. We also love the porch. I wouldn't recommend the lunch however; it is just a buffet. There are so many great pubs on the island that I wouldn't want to have all my meals in the hotel.
We were there in the fall and the autumn colors were glorious. We walked all over the island and shot an enormous number of photos. It was an all around wonderful trip.
One thing--It is a little disconcerting in this day and age that the waitstaff are all people of color. I am told they are from the Caribbean and work the cruise ships in the winter and the resort hotels in the summer, but that is one element of the 1885 hotel that feels like a class distinction.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island