“Step back in time”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Step back in time”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were staying on Mackinac Island...but I didnt know we were staying at the Grand until my husband surprised me. I was so excited having seen the hotel in a movie I have always wanted to go there. It never dissapointed me. The Grand stands on top of a hill like a grand old lady looking down on her people. The rooms are all decorated differently, ours was a flower garden theme. The beds were comfortable. The room was spotless. Food was excellent. I'll never forget that first evening relaxing on the verandah with a Bahama mama cocktail in my hand bought to me by very attentive staff. wonderful!! Very romantic place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debra L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Korean first
Roseville, Michigan
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Everything was perfect, the room was beautiful, the service was great. I can't wait to go back for my third stay. Dinners prepared perfectly. The gardens are immaculate. The views from the porch are beautiful. The whole experience has always been great.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank ConnieTomaszewski
Michigan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed on a celebrate Michigan weekend, at a discount. My room was beautiful, as was the porch that we sat on before dinner. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner was included. The buffets were amazing, and the 5 course dinner meal was fabulous, I was stuffed. We walked the grounds of the hotel, and discovered new things. A very enjoyable time

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view, mine didn't though. Its ok, I don't go to a hotel to sit in the he...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary2273
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Overall. I have reviewed the Grand in great detail these last few years (see my contributions file), and find my very detailed past reviews are still current. Definitely check-out my “insiders hints” from 2011. The Hotel remains a rare jewel of a place that all should visit, and is among a very few traditional American resort standouts, like the Greenbriar and the Breakers. The place was packed to the gills while we were there in August, which is the best way to experience the place in the peak social season. Those deciding whether to make a visit who notice the few negative reviews should keep the following in mind. These naysayers slot themselves in a few categories: day visitors who resent having to pay the $10 admission fee, guests who paid the lowest off-season discount rates for the smallest rooms who resent not having Gatsby-sized suites with the best views, and fussy “foodies” who think they should get individually-assigned waiters and bowlfuls of caviar with their complete meals for less than the price of a entrée and salad at your local Ritz Carlton. Some folks just have to complain about a window seat on the bus to heaven!

New this year. Big news for regular visitors is that the deteriorating horse stable was replaced by a splendid new Victorian structure further up the hill. Accurately described by some as a “hotel for horses”, it is definitely worth a visit to see your favorite horses, carriages, as well as stable master Ben and his assistants. The hotel completed its replacement of mattresses, and the new ones are great. The dining room now has 4 rotating dinner menus (up from three). Finally for you detailed-oriented folks, the pink soap bars were upgraded,

Okay, now for the fun part. Instead of hearing another exhaustive review from me, let my daughter Lili give you her review of the Grand this year. If you have children or grandchildren, you can’t do better than to come here. Here is what she is actually said about this place during our 10-day stay in August.

So Lili, what did you like this year? Blue snow cones at the pool are better than the others, but the orange and red ones are pretty good too. The boys get pushy some times and get the syrup all over the place. Snow cones melt in the hot tub. I jump in the pool all by myself, and can stand on the bottom all alone in the shallow end. Sometimes there are bugs floating around. A lady with big red hair got it wet and was mad. Dry towels are better than soggy ones. When I am a big girl I get to play with the croquet set. Why can’t I swim in the fountain?

Do you like the waiters? Paul brings me a strawberry smoothie every morning and I drink most of it. They should have those “bendey” straws. I am going to have smoothies at my birthday party and Paul is going to make jokes. When I go to dinner, Glendon makes sure my food comes out first. Leroy is really tall and knows Mama and Dada very well. I am going to invite Glendon and Leroy to my birthday party too, and Paul is going to give them peanut butter sandwiches and those little forks to eat with. Eric gives me chocolates when I leave, and Dada keeps some of them in his little inside pocket on his suit and gives me them at home.

Do you like the food? All yellow food tastes good at the Grand Hotel. Macaroni and cheese, corn, cheese sandwiches, corn muffins, and lemonade. Potato chips are yellow too. Dada, you were feeding chips to the seagulls on the lawn. You are not supposed to do that. The mad lady with the red hair was not happy about that. They should make some blue food. Are blueberry pancakes blue?

What do you think of the horses on Mackinac Island? The best horse is Duke, who lives in the new red barn. Ben gives us carriage rides and Joker is the other horse with Duke. We go real fast and Ben lets me stand behind him so my hair blows around. The big horses by the red carpet in front are really, really, really, really, huge. Dondi tells them to behave. They lick my ear and it feels funny. Why don’t horses wear gym shoes? I have ones that make sparkly lights. The maids always put my shoes in the wardrobe in the morning. Grace is my babysitter and the boss of the maids, and they come from Jamaica. They like me to run down the halls and stomp my feet. In the winter they go play at the beach, eat ice cream bars, and collect shells. Everybody knows my name.

Anything else? I like Shirley Temples, and Harris brings them to me on his head at the Jockey Club. Keisha always laughs, but she has too much hair on her head to bring me my Shirley Temples that way. Harris does not have hair on his head. Dada, are you taking hair off your head? Onique makes everyone behave. I like climbing on the big green turtle over there. Why are the men running after little white balls on the big lawn? Mr. Musser goes really fast on his scooter and looks fun. His scooter should be purple and have fringe like the horse carriages. I like my “twirley” dresses when we go to the ballroom. The harp in the lobby is pretty, and makes some people sleep. They have green, yellow, red, and purple candy in the art gallery, and I go in there all the time. Shepplers boats are blue, Arnold boats are green, and Star line boats have tails.

Do you want to go back next summer? We need to go back or Jennifer will cry. She is in charge of the parlor and is nice to people. Last year she gave me some toys. Can I have a big doll for Christmas? I like going over the big bridge when we go to St. Ignace. Mama is especially happy when we go to Grand Hotel, so next year we are going to go for all of August.

Okay folks, I can’t top that for a review. I’m happy to receive contributions to help pay for my next summer vacation.

Room Tip: Always get a category 2 or above.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chadchicago
GHKellie, Social Media Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We are in love with this review! Thank you so much for sharing Grand Hotel through the eyes of a child.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just returned from a wonderful tour which included a two night stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island Michigan. Mackinac Island is a throwback, an island in the Straits of Mackinac which divides the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the island, so horses, carriages, and bicycles (and your feet) are the only modes of transportation. As you can imagine, it is very quaint.
The Grand Hotel, which is celebrating it's 125th anniversary, is the crown jewel of the island. Not inexpensive, it is worth every penny of it's cost. Room rates include a modified American Plan, which provides a sumptuous breakfast and dinner in the commodious dining room. An optional luncheon buffet is available daily
The rooms range in size from somewhat small to suites. But each room's decor is unique, no two are the same. While such decor may not be to everyone's taste, it perfectly fits the Victorian ambience of the hotel and the island. The hotel staff are very welcoming and take very good care of their guests.
Given the opportunity, I will revisit Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank soccerman56
Thank you for your wonderful review. We do hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I enjoy visiting the old hotels built by the railroads in the late1800's. The ones that are open now are usually very nice and have a lot of history. The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw island fits the bill. There are no motor vehicles allowed on the island (except for Fire and Emergency vehicles) It is only reached by Ferry boat. The ferry service , that we used, Sheplers is efficient and moves baggage and passengers in an efficent manner. On arrival on the island we had the option of walking up hill to the hotel or using a taxi service or Grand hotel service, all horse drawn of course. When our taxi arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a smile, our room was ready and though not spacious was nicely decorated, comfortable beds and all the amenities one has in a good hotel. We were on the modified American plan that included Breakfast and a 5 course dinner daily. There is no tipping at the hotel and the service is wonderful. There is a very large staff for the hotel and dining room. Breakfast is buffet style or you may order off the menu, which we did, I had room service breakfast it was delivered on time and nicely presented. Dinner was very good and it was amazing to watch the waiters move around the room, which is huge and weave around the guests and others. We had wine with dinner and were not feeling rushed to finish dinner. After dinner is the demitass tradition offering demitass coffee and tea in the main parlor where there was a harpist or pianist playing . The weather was sunny for the first two day and cloudy with rain showers on the last day, exploring the island may be done on foot, bicycle or horse drawn vehicle. Our three night stay was just right.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2012

From the moment you arrive on the island, the experience begins. This is the ultimate way to relax and enjoy serenity. From the clippity clop of the horse drawn buggys to the 5 course dinners.... the grand hotel is not to be forgotten. The food was OUTSTANDING; the services was perfection and the porch was better than it looked. A must is renting a bike and riding around the island! Take a picnic w/ you and stop anywhere along the way... all the views are amazing. What a great weekend getaway and worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for a room w/ a view of the lake and balcony! Worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
#1 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!