“Labor Day & Jazz”

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Once again i have stayed at this wonderful historic hotel for a weekend of music, meeting old friends who return every year , meeting new friends and enjoying the fine hospitality of this hotel coupled with great music all weekend and almost of the day and evenong for the entire weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We enjoyed our very first stay at the Grand, - it was a wonderful experience. Staff was friendly and helpful, grounds were breathtaking, and the room was charming! Would recommend this property to everyone - well worth the extra $$ to stay. Dinner was delicious - chance to try new things, as well as some favorites. Breakfast was good, also. It was an experience everyone should try - especially if you live in Michigan! Best place in the world in the summer time!

Room Tip: Lakeside view is gorgeous!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

What a horrible rip off. I booked a reservation for four people, 3 months in advance of arrival and paid for a named suite and requested the "Somewhere in Time" Suite. They placed us in a room with 1 bed which had purses on the wall for decor. The one bed was two twin beds that had been lashed together. They said there was not another room available. Check in is not until four p.m. and after a boat ride and then a carriage ride (which you pay extra for) to get there, I didn't see how we could go anywere else that night. One of us slept on a couch and the other on a roll away. The package for 3 nights cost almost $2000.00. The waiters kept messing up our food order and bringing us things we hadn't even ordered and I am sad to say the food service was poor, they kept messing up the orders.

The manager told me that I wasn't entitled to the elements of the package I had purchased because one of the elements of my package was a third night free. So I had to go to my room, pull up my confirmation on my computer, take it back down to the desk and show him that the third night free was a part of my package.

The ice cream social was outside on the porch with very little seating. The nightly movie, which I was told when I made my reservation was in the hotel theater ended up being in a side room with a projector screen and folding chairs because they had rented out the theater for a private function.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
30  Thank Susan R
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My mother and I visited the Grand Hotel (which we hadn't done since the '70's) and found this beautiful hotel needed some work. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous and the views from the porch are really beautiful. The rooms are nicely appointed, but showing their age (wallpaper peeling in spots, rugs look worn) and the walls are thin. You very clearly can hear your neighbors or people in the hall. Worst of all is the food. With your stay, breakfast and dinner is usually inclusive and I wish it wasn't. They have the tradition of dressing for dinner and I think if you have to "dress" for dinner then dinner should reflect the tradition. I had very dull and uninspired food. Breakfast even was lackluster and something I could have skipped. For a hotel which charges $10 for someone to just visit the hotel and grounds for the day, I expect a far better food service than I experienced.

Room Tip: Get a room with the "porch view" and you can't miss as far as views go.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
24  Thank ktmccb
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Grand Hotel was a perfect place to celebrate our 36th anniversary. Beautiful gardens, beautiful veranda with white wicker rocking chairs and 8 mile road around the island to bike or take a horse and carriage.Excellent meals.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KRSWisconsin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Mackinaw Island is a charming island and the Grand Hotel is an historic hotel there. It is a very large hotel and very elegant.

The rooms were satisfactory, the service was very good. The restaurant is enormous and it overwhelmed us. The second night we ate at The Jockey Club on the premisses. The food and ambiance were more to our liking. The service there was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Cantor Jill S
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Wonderful hotel and beautiful surrondings no cars allowed so travel by foot, horseback,carriage or bikes..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple