“Great coffee and more!”
Review of J L Beanery - CLOSED

J L Beanery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A coffee shop located in the harbor offering freshly made muffins, scones, bagels. Coffee drinks, fresh fruit smoothies, and teas are available.
Reviewed August 28, 2014

My husband and I recently spent a weekend on Mackinac Island. As we walked from the ferry docks to our hotel, we noticed a line out the door at Starbucks. Based on the long line, I thought that was going to be our only option for coffee on the Island. Wrong! As we got closer to our hotel, I noticed J L Beanery. Unfortunately, it was late in the day, so I didn't have the chance to get coffee my first day on the Island. I did return the next two mornings and enjoyed delicious iced coffees, while my husband had regular drip coffee. We both loved our coffees. We both ordered breakfast sandwiches on the morning of our departure and they were outstanding! The ingredients were so fresh and prepared perfectly! I'm sad that we didn't have the chance to try some of the other menu items, but we'll just have to plan another trip to Mackinac Island to do so!

I kind of feel sorry for the folks who wasted so much of their time standing in line at Starbucks. J L Beanery has much better coffee than anything I've ever had at Starbucks. The service was tremendous and it was quick. More time to enjoy what the Island has to offer!

2  Thank terezar

Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

It was our first morning on the island. The sun just came up the streets were quiet and I strolled to this great coffee shop. What a view first thing in the morning, right on the water. Chatted with a local while I waited for my latte. The oatmeal looked amazing as did the danishes. You know it's good if the locals go there.

1  Thank S R L
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Small place, really worth noticing. Behind a b&b, wouldn't necessarily notice that it was there, but we are very glad we did. Good food, nice people. It was a nice morning where outdoor seating was available.

1  Thank Melanie_Charles
Reviewed August 26, 2014

My new husband and I decided to go across the street to this wonderful establishment. It is tucked away and so quaint. We took the cake topper from our wedding cake and since we didn't think it would make the trek home decided to have it with some coffee for breakfast. We ordered our coffee, very good cappuccino, and sat outside. They brought us a cake server, plates and forks making the day that much more special. I know we will be back!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I've been going here for many years. Went recently with my kids, who also love it. Mostly had beverages, but did have lunch one day, my son and I had corn chowder soup, my daughter had a sandwich. The soup was one of the best i've ever had - the potatoes were a good size and cooked perfectly. The broth was also very good, not greasy, not too spicey. And a good amount too. There is a water pitcher and glasses if that's what you want to drink. Priced pretty well for the Island. On the water, a nice view.

1  Thank mackinaclover