“Ridiculously awesome burgers!”

Chuck Wagon of Mackinac
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We are the smallest restaurant on Mackinac at twelve feet wide and forty feet long. We use fresh ingredients and have food delivered everyday.You can watch the cook/owner Don prepare your breakfast or lunch right in front of you.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you are on Mackinac you have to eat here. The place was busy as usual so we took our burgers to go. Wow are they worth the wait to get. We tok 6 burgers/sandwiches back with us and the only words spoken as our family devoured them were - "Wow", "Yum", "MMMMMMM". Eat here!!!

2  Thank SkolVikings
There are newer reviews for Chuck Wagon of Mackinac

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Could not be less pretentious. We had an excellent, fresh, hot burger. The atmosphere is not upscale or even "clean feeling". Very tight seating. At first it was full so we sat at the counter overlooking the grill. Within five minutes a group left and opened up a table. We asked to change seats and the staff were great/accommodating. But we had a few friendly flys in our table area that were persistent. We were satisfied with lunch and thought it was fair value for the island. It is just not a must do for us on our future island visits.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've been a big fan of the Chuck Wagon way back to Jesse's Chuck Wagon Days. I read some of the other reviews and must say a few things. First, you are on Mackinac Island - a unique tourist location ironically at the very crossroads of fur traders and Natives back to the 1600's. There are no vehicles here. Your food probably came across with you on the ferry or the Arnold cargo transport earlier in the day or week. There is an abundance of eateries with unique fare, many of which I enjoy as often as I can on our annual trips to Mackinac Island. So, if you are looking for lobster and crab omelette - it's up the street, to the left at another super place. This is your regular restaurant with eggs, burgers and sandwiches. They are all excellent! Always well cooked and watching a short order cook work that grill when it's busy is a marvel every time I've seen it done. Food, service and price are above par - especially price in a place where fudge sells for more a pound than your burger and fries. (did I mention there's just a few fudge shops?)
Finally, what I love about this little place (it's small) is if you have some time to just sit and sip your coffee - you will get caught up on what is happening, who just arrived for the summer or left for the winter, and all the local society information. This is a tight knit little community that as I sit in February and type this, has a population of probably less than 400 for the entire winter - and you can't just hop in your jeep and drive away - you are there and there you stay. So, the stories you hear are funny, and unique to this little place. Order a regular meal and just sit back and enjoy. I will eat at the Grand, I'll bike all the back roads, I'll check out all the gardens - but the highlight of my trip is breakfast or lunch at the Chuck Wagon. I hope it never goes away!

2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I absolutely love this place. I've worked on the Island for the last three summers and I go to the Chuck Wagon at least once a week. The food is very cheap and extremely tasty! I love the breakfast burrito, but I'd honestly be happy with anything from the menu, that's how good everything is. I love the atmosphere, the food, the people, everything. And the staff is always so friendly! They are cheerful even during the summer heat and when lines are out the door. Once I left my wallet in a booth there and one of the owners tracked me down at my work location to give it back, before I had even realized it was missing! It is amazing how they are willing to go above and beyond to ensure their customers have a good experience.

2  Thank Jenny48858
Reviewed January 3, 2014

the food was served fast and was good. there was really nothing we disliked, it was more just and average breakfast for a good price