“The locals said this was the best stable on the island...”

Cindy's Riding Stable Market Street
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
250 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 319 helpful votes
“The locals said this was the best stable on the island...”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Three of us took a one hour ride on the island. The staff will have you fill out a questionnaire in order to match you with the best horse. I rode Yogi, who was the lead horse and Charlie, my daughter's horse, followed closely behind. It was obvious that they are stall mates. My friend's horse was Major and he was the well behaved. We enjoyed seeing different parts of the island including the homes and the trails through the woods. Our guide was nice but he did not offer any insight or information along the way and only spoke when asked a question or giving guidance. It was $40 per person for the hour. An hour was a perfect length of time as we rarely ride and ended up being sore for a few days!

Visited August 2012

Chicago, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“You can ride, but don't expect us to help/teach!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I took my daughter riding for her first time while on Mackinaw. The cost was $40 per person for 1 hour. This stable was more conveniently located to our hotel so we chose it over Jack's for that reason alone. We were sent out with 4 other riders and 2 guides. The guides would speak only when spoken to and did not attempt to try to help my daughter learn how to ride. At times they seemed irritated that her horse wan't doing what they wanted it to do and would say things to my daughter such as, "don't let her eat that", "make her go to the right". What they should've done is show my daughter how to better control the horse. How else is a first time rider supposed to learn?

On the upside, the stable seemed clean and the horses well cared for. And, the state park trails were beautiful and peaceful.

3 Thank travelingtrio2010
Fenton, Michigan, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Our Favorite Thing on the Island”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We weren't greeted very enthusiastically. However, we were given horses for our abilities. We had yogi and charlie (horses) and rode for an hour and a half. We paid $60/person for the entire time. In my opinion, I would do this rather than the horse drawn carriage tour that covered all of the same routes. You could have a guided tour, or they would take you to the trails and cut you loose (what we did). The horses knew the trails very well. We even tried to take a wrong turn and the horses let us know it wasn't the correct way. They listened to us when we told them to turn, but you could tell they didn't want to go. So, we just let them do their thing and we made it back with no worry!

2 Thank Coastie165
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nothing like it!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was my first time being on the island and it is absolutely incredible! I've ridden many times before and have taken private lessons, so when I heard about Cindy's riding stable, I was definitely looking forward to that! I highly suggest to go any time ranging from 9-12 in the morning, the horses are fresh and very responsive than later in the day. I went solo but you go out in a group with a guide and they lead you where to go and from there you're on your own, but it gives you a lot of time to take everything in. I would also reccomend to be honest on your riding level because a man that was in my group was new to riding and his horse went off the path he wanted to go with his wife and rolled down and starting kicking but a couple minutes later got back up, after that he was a little nervous. The horses are like people, they can sense when you're afraid and will try to be the boss. I had Brandy, she had a very independent mind like me! She always did as I directed, just make sure you are gentle and if they seem to start getting a little temperamental, just speak to them and they're fine! I definitely reccomend the horseback riding, but just to give you a heads up, kids younger than 10 are not allowed to ride!

3 Thank Angeljayxoxo
Lakewood, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“enjoyable”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

great way to see the park. Horses were well behaved and easy to ride. staff was very helpful and friendly