“Quick, Casual Dining”
Review of Pancake House

Pancake House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charleston, South Carolina
“Quick, Casual Dining”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Their specialty is breakfast, but they are very busy during breakfast time, so get there early. Pretty good food and not too expensive compared to other island restaurants. They do also serve lunch (burgers, sandwiches) and ice cream. Pretty good service and fairly quick if you're there when they're not slammed. Good if you're looking for something more casual.

• Visited July 2012

“Waste of a meal in Mackinac.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We ate at the Pancake House this morning, and I was so disappointed. It was busy so I took that as a good sign. Apparently, people just get off one of the ferries & wander in because it was absolutely nothing special.
We sat at a little two-top and waited on our server. The servers were mostly teenage/young twenties girls with a couple of older ladies who seemed to be in charge. Our server took a few minutes to come over, so I had been able to look through the menu. I was a little put off that there was Log Cabin "Lite" syrup on the table. In looking around, I saw that there was ONLY Log Cabin syrups with varying degrees of sugar--original, "Lite," and sugar-free.
Don't get me wrong...Log Cabin is fine in a pinch, but this is a "Pancake House." In Michigan. Where is the real maple syrup? We passed more than one sign on our way up the Michigan highway advertising fresh maple syrup. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to think that there would be real maple syrup available.
I asked our server if they had real maple syrup and was told no. Then, I asked about their corned beef hash--whether it was homemade. Once again, the answer was no. Non-homemade corned beef is basically on par with spam--meat in a can.
I decided to have a BLT and my date had a fried egg sandwich. Our server--who was not helpful at all--never asked for our drink order. She brought us 2 waters about 5 minutes after she took out order. Our food was delivered, and she never came back until she decided it was time to ask if we were ready to "cash out."
The food was ok--3 little bacon strips on toast with some iceberg & a sad little tomato. My date's sandwich was "fine," but looked a little lonely on the plate with nothing accompanying it--a sandwich all alone on a white plate. I got a handful of chips with mine which must have accounted for the nearly three dollar difference.
There are much better restaurants on the island--I would not waste a meal here. Head down the block to Chuckwagon Cafe instead.

Harbor Springs, Michigan
“Not just pancakes”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I love the variety in the menu. The crepes are delicious. The Dutch Baby, Fresh Vegetarian Omelette and Strawberry Waffle are all specialties worth noting. Nothing accompanies breakfast better than fresh squeezed orange juice.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Shinjin7
Wurzburg, Germany
“A Little Disappointing”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Since we were staying a bit out of town at Mission Point Resort, my family and I had eaten breakfast every morning there instead of in town. I found the breakfast there a bit overpriced and inconsistent (as I mention in my review of the resort), but it was convenient. On the last day of our trip, however, we thought we'd head into town and eat at the Pancake House as we had passed by it every day and thought it looked nice. I also thought that it might be a better value than Mission Point's à la carte breakfast menu as they specialize in breakfast served all day and are in the center of town competing against other restaurants.

Sadly, this wasn't the case. The food was fine, the service was fine, but I felt like the portions were quite meager and a poor value for the price. (And I'm not even that big an eater.) The finish to our trip that I hoped would be a great breakfast at a great value just didn't measure up to that. The inside is nice, though. Loads of character.

• Visited September 2011
chitown
“Cold bacon, colder service”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Service was horribly slow. Waitress forgot things. She neglected our food so it sat A WHILE before it got to us. Food would have been decent if it wasn't stone cold. And for the price they charge for a small juice I'm glad the waitress didn't care to bring refills. Used to be a good place but has obviously been neglected.