“Peaceful, storybook safe haven”
Review of Metivier Inn

Metivier Inn
Reviewed August 20, 2009

As the tour guides pass the inn we hear them say, "this is the best inn on the island." We whole-heartedly agree. Each time we stay at the Metivier Inn we want to stay longer next time. The ambiance of the inn is perfect with several porches and areas to relax in solitude, or observe the fabulous gardens. The gardens are exquisitely planned, groomed, and the object of several painters on the island. The bedrooms are typical hotel room size with everything you need, up-to-date televisions, and most importantly, VERY comfortable beds. Finally, the service is friendly, prompt and accommodating. With the ideal location, I recommend this inn to all for a great vacation.

1  Thank 20137-on-the-go

Reviewed August 1, 2009

I chose the Metivier Inn because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. Let me start by saying this is not a typical bed & breakfast. The Inn has 22 rooms. It gets very crowded in the high season. Also, I paid for a standard plus room (not the cheapest) and we were put on the 3rd floor in a room that you could barely turn around in. We counted the steps from the street and there were 41 steps to get to our room. If anyone in your party is elderly or has any limitations you need to let the Inn know BEFORE you make a reservation.....otherwise be prepared to climb!
The people are very pleasant and polite! The gardens are beautiful. The porches are also nice. This Inn has been re-done in the Victorian manner of the Island.
The breakfast is filling but NOT gourmet as they advertise. My husband and I have stayed at the Windermere, the Grand Hotel and Stonecliffe on the Island and we would recommend the Windermere over the Metivier Inn at this point. Let's put it this way......if you like a small room for $215.00 a night and love to climb steps....this is the place for you!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jegaPentwater_Mi
Reviewed July 20, 2009

The Metivier Inn has become our home away from home for extended family vacations. Everyone who has joined us over the years has fallen in love with the place. The hosts are the best, the accommodations are very nice and comfortable, the location is nearly perfect (except the year while they were building the new medical clinic next door), and the place is the talk of the island due to the beautiful landscaping. Breakfasts are wonderful, as are the afternoon treats. The porches are perfect for sitting and listening to the passing of the horses. You can even rent one to ride directly across the street. And no, the showers are not perfect---rather small and not convenient for those who are tall.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MimiMom68
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Stayed just one night but loved this Inn. We will be back again. Look no futher this place is for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2009

The Metivier Inn is in a great location on Mackinac Island. It is just behind the main street, so you do not have to carry your bags far. The rooms are a comfortable size and the breakfast in the morning is wonderful! You will definitely be full from breakfast! If you are not sure where to stay on the island, give the Metivier a try.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My husband and I booked a room for a wedding that was being held on the Island, and we are so happy we didn't stay at the wedding site. The Inn was very quiet, and low-key (granted we weren't there too much during the day due to the wedding). The room was very clean, and had everything that I could possibly want right there. I loved that there was a nightlight in the room, and the bed was like sleeping on a huge fluffy cloud. Normally I don't fall asleep on my back, but here I had no trouble- the instant I hit those fluffy pillows I was out! The heater was attached to the wall, and with the push of a button on the remote we had the perfect temperature, with a humidifier included to make sure we didn't get too dry. I also loved that it was a thirty second walk to the ferry docs, so carrying our own luggage wasn't a big deal (we didn't feel like waiting for it to arrive by porter). The breakfast in the morning was great- my husband thought it was so-so because he's more of a hashbrowns, sausage, omlette guy- but I was very happy with it. They had a crockpot full of warm oatmeal with apples and raisins in it that was so delicious (I wish I had someone to make that at home for me!) There was also an egg casserole, ham, different breads to toast, and fruit salad. The staff were also very friendly and accomidating. I would definately stay here again if I come back to the Island!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank avandeven
Reviewed October 2, 2008

My wife and i stayed here for 1 night and really liked that it was off the main street which made it a lot more relaxing and quiet and slower paced. very nice flowers and easy walk to main street. our room did not have much for old time charm for of a newer add on. HATED the shower and showerhead! My wife warned me after taking her shower first. I almost went down and requested to change rooms. My back was against the shower wall my arm was against the shower wall and my other arm was outside of the shower. The showerhead is very low and when i stood there and had it pointed all the way down it was still spraying water in my face. But the bed was awesome! Very nice mattress.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family