“Mackinac Island get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Haan's 1830 Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Haan's 1830 Inn
Cedar Falls, Iowa
“Mackinac Island get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very nice B&B, room was good, owners were very helpful with much good advice and input. Enjoyed the porch, great for people watching and enjoying a drink! We enjoyed renting bikes and seeing the island. Pink Pony is a great place for a drink and snack.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzy L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Loved our room. It was nice and large. We had a queen bed in one room and the kids had two twin beds in their room. We also had our own private bathroom. It was quiet and we had a great nights sleep. We only stayed one night as that was the only night we were on the island. It was nice. The owners were very friendly. We also enjoyed breakfast. Highly recommend. I noticed a previous reviewer talked about the walk from the ferry. We used Arnold's and had no concerns about walking with our lugage to the B&B. It was easy to find and not a bad walk. We arrived before our room was ready so we storred our lugage and went exploring. We left our bags after checking our so we could explore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ktaggie
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Haan's was great. We got there before our room was ready so we left our stuff in the front room and went wandering around the island. We came back for check-in and got our room, which was TINY but exactly what we were expecting. We shared a bathroom with the other rooms on the floor, but it wasn't bad. We sat on the front porch at night and had a glass of wine while people-watching. Nice breakfast in the morning was provided - not a lot of options, but the owners were personable. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alli318
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I absoutely loved my stay at Haan's 1830 B&B. It was cozy and made you feel comfortable. It was me,My wife and my parents who stayed there and we all had a GREAT time. Everyone there was super hospitable. The porch outside our rooms was excellent as well as we could sit up there and talk and watch the horse carriages go by. It was so relaxing. The breakfast in the morning was so good. Haan's is not too far from downtown either but you feel off the beaten path because it's far enough to walk to town but far enough away to feel not so congested like it gets downtown. I will certainly stay here again when I go back to Mackinac Island! Thank You for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the John Jacob Astor room and it was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TCEric514
Mascoutah, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I took a solo trip to Mackinac Island, and after reading other B & B reviews, and checking out prices, I settled with Haan's 1830 Inn. I called and reserved the Beaumont Timeless Luxury Suite and was laughed at over the phone when I said I would be staying there alone. (There are 3 beds in the room.) When I arrived, I was greeted by name and immediately shown to my room. I was told I could pay any time that was convenient for me, as long as it was before I left. The room was clean and well furnished. There was a large bed in the center, plenty of lighting, a chair, small sofa/bench, a desk, two end tables, and a large dresser. The most interesting furnishing by far was a large bookshelf built in to the wall with about 70 years' worth of National Geographic magazines. Very cool. The conjoining room had two twin beds, an end table, a large dresser, and two lamps. As other reviewers have stated, there was no TV. Which was fine by me. The only slightly annoying thing was the wireless internet. There was no security key code given at check- in, so if you want to use the internet, just make sure you ask for the code during duty hours or you won't be using it.
I noticed another reviewer said not to use Sheplers Ferry because it was too far from the inn, so I made sure I used Arnold's. I would recommend doing the same, even though Arnold's isn't that much closer. I guarantee your shoulder will start hurting from carrying your bags by the time you get to Haan's, so you will want to get as close as possible.
To get to Haan's from either Shepler's or Arnold's, you will make a right turn from the ferry service, then walk through town maybe a half mile- three quarters. Then you will pass the Butterfly House and St Anne's Catholic church, and Haan's will be the next house on the left.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank laura M
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Haan's embodies the whole purpose of Mackinac Island - simplicity... unplug, slow down, and actually appreciate time. We've stayed at Haan's every year we could since 1994, for those reasons, and because the owners are so friendly and accommodating, yet unobtrusive. You can curl up in your own little world in the room, porch or parlor, or Nick Haan can tell you stories and history until he's blue in the face.

No, there's no TV. You don't need TV... you're on the wrong island. Go to the Seabiscuit or Goodfellows, or back to America.

Haan's is a few blocks from downtown and the ferry docks, about a 10-15 minutes walk. Dock porters will bring your bags for a tip, or catch a taxi. Luggage can be dropped early if your room isn't ready for check-in yet. Bike parking is plenty.

Continental breakfast and coffee hit the spot - no one needs 6 eggs before biking the island. Try Jesse's Chuckwagon sometime. Or run to Doud's Market for some Whitefish Pate, crackers and a couple Labatts or wine. Ryba's a good chilli-cheese fries.

Haan's is a great jumping-off point for a bike ride... take a left out of the Inn, and go around the island, or take the next left to go quickly (and steeply) toward the center of the island, the cemeteries, Arch Rock, Sugarloaf, the airport, and wooded trails - try all of them! though I prefer those left traveled and those East of Cadotte Ave and British Landing Rd.
Then come down to British landing and back into town for ice cream at Kilwin's.

Horn's Bar and Village Inn are great eating, I especially favor Horn's. Or finish dinner and grab a Kilwin's ice cream, then walk through town to the school and watch the sunset.

Save the fudge you got in the middle of the day (Like Murdick's Peanut Butter or Murray Hotel's Pumpkin), and eat on the porch at night while the horses clip-clop by.

But it's Mackinac... leave the worries of "America" and enjoy the simplicity of a book, a walk, a bike ride, history, a meal, a sunset, and most of all - a view.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the Beaumont and Cass are especially beautiful. William Preston has a k...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Ratherbtravelin
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my second stay at the Haan. My sister, sister-in-law and I liked it so much two years ago that we booked the same suite this year. It has the charm of the early period on Mackinac Island and is decoratd to the period. The hosts were wonderful and very helpful. Breakfast consisted of homemade sweet breads, hot and cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast, juice, etc. It is only a five minute walk or bike ride to the main area of town. You can sit in rocking chairs on the front poarch and watch the horse and buggies go by. A very quiet relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with friends or family and want your own bed try one of the suites.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family