“Very good lunch buffet”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Oak Park, Illinois
“Very good lunch buffet”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My mom and I took a day trip to Mackinac Island and wanted to visit the Grand Hotel to see what all the fuss was about. It is a beautiful huge hotel with colorful, slightly eccentric decor. You have to pay $10 a person to visit the hotel if you are not a guest. This is to cut down on the crowds. We did it and then decided to have lunch there. It is $40 per person for all you can eat. The huge room is very nice and has a great view of the grounds and the lake. The food was excellent and beautifully presented. The staff was fine. The area around the buffet was crowded though, and it felt a little bit like a mob scene. The tables were also close together and felt crowded. The buffet went until 3pm (we ate late) and at 2:30 the staff started clearing some of the buffet tables, so we felt uncomfortably rushed. But on the whole, it was an excellent lunch. If you are a big eater, you will get your money's worth.

1 Thank 13ellezee

Michigan
“Ok - not worth $45.”
Reviewed August 27, 2008

For a wedding present, my mother-in-law bought us admittance to the Luncheon Buffet at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We were pretty excited about this, as we'd see a lot about the 100' long buffet during our honeymoon research, but we had opted not to go as it was $30 per person plus $15 per person admittance to the hotel grounds; a $90 lunch for two people. So we were pretty psyched to be able to go.

We chose to go during our second day on the island. The Hotel, from all outward appearances, was pretty. But once we were up close to the hotel we were very disappointed. Paint was flaking off of the front porch, and the carpet on the inside had many VERY visible spots and stains. We were suddenly extremely happy that we had opted not to stay the the hotel (which was more than twice as much a night as the hotel we did stay at - Main Street Inn). Also, the bathrooms were not very clean.

The lunch buffet itself was ok - nothing spectacular like they advertise it to be. It was also super crowded, and it was really hard to get around people. There was a lot of food variety, but the food itself (aside from the smoked salmon) was not all that great. I had a piece of the carved roast beef and it was so dry that I had to wash it down with three glasses of water. The food presentation was also not up to par with the propaganda - it just looked like your average-joe buffet to me. The desert was also just ok.

Overall I would not recommend eating at the Grand Hotel Luncheon Buffet to any of my friends. The Hotel itself is in need of a good scrubbing with fresh paint, carpet, and a staff that speaks English. I am really glad that we received this as a gift and didn't spend the $90 ourselves.

5 Thank c_juleski