“GO FOR IT!!!”

The Grand Hotel Luncheon Buffet
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just returned home from a long weekend trip to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island with my husband, two children ages 4 & 6, mother-in-law, and nephew age 11. Leading up to the trip we just couldn't decide on whether or not to do the buffet, especially w/ the kids. We finally decided to try it and we ALL LOVED IT- even the kids!!! Of course the hotel grounds are fabulous and upon arrival the staff was so kind and courteous, especially the hostess. She told us which areas of the hotel we would want to check out, especially the coupela (sp?) for some great views, and to take our time. The food was delicious and the dessert buffet was awesome. Service was great. The kids loved all of the choices. The dining room was packed with people of all different ages. I'm so glad we did it and I didn't think the price was too outrageous. Think about it... it covers your appetizer, meal, desserts (lots of them!!), drink, tax, AND TIP. $30 is not too outrageous when you would add that up at a different restraurant. Give it a try... how often will you have the chance to do it!

3  Thank NFAM4
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel Luncheon Buffet

Reviewed June 24, 2011

First off, I LOVE the Grand Hotel! The atmosphere has a magical quality about it, mostly I think, due to the filming of Somewhere In Time here back in 1979. It was no wonder then, when my wife and I heard that they had a buffet lunch here from 12pm - 2pm, we had to go. We had to purchase a $10 admission just to get on the hotel grounds which was the deducted from the $40 per person price tag of the buffet. We got there right at noon and paid for our meal via credit card at the podium. Tax and gratuities are included, so that was nice. We were shown by the hostess to a lovely 2 person table by the window which offered a spectacular view while we dined. The food was great - they served oysters on the half shell and peel 'n eat shrimp - since I made several trips to refill my plate with both of those items, I got my money's worth. They also had sushi, turkey, fish and a salad bar. The desert bar was decadent - and extremely good. The only complaint I had is the lack of service from our waiter. He seemed indifferent to our drink needs and even though free refills of iced tea and lemonade were included, my wife and I were nearly finished with our water glasses before the maitre'd - not our waiter who seemed to be absent from the dining room at that point - asked if we would like more to drink. The waiter finally showed back up as we were ready to leave but still seemed to have the attitude that the diners are a stupid annoyance that he had to endure so that he could collect his included tip. I noticed that that same attitude with a couple of exceptions was present in the staff throughout the hotel, which is curious to me at a place that is the single largest employer on Mackinac Island. Would I dine here again? Yes, but only because of where it is located.

3  Thank TheRealComputerGuy
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We thought that this was a once in a lifetime experience. Well, it was. The food was good, not excellent. The service was fantastic. The room was way over crowded with many tour groups. The coffee & ice tea were fantastic. Buffets are kinda like combat eating. I think it was over priced.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

I had really been looking forward to eating at the Grand Hotel and was slightly disappointed. There certainly was lots of food, but the buffet layout was confusing. Would be great to sit by windows, but we had a table in the back of the room. There were so many people crammed into the restaurant that it felt crowded. Cost of lunch was $40, quite a bit for lunch- but I guess you are also paying for the experience of eating at The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

This is a once in a lifetime experience!! The view is outstanding and the service and food was excellent! The waitstaff are all men dressed in white uniforms and trained in how to present a meal! They are always near your table if you need anything, but not obtrusive. Believe me you will never forget this experience!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank trsandsas