“Stonecliffe Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Ocala, Florida
“Stonecliffe Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Excellent food and service in what used to be the mansion's stable. Good bar and neat old bowling alley. Used to be open for New Years Eve and we never missed the chance to go there for cross country skiing to bring in the new year but that, regrettably, didn't prove profitable and management had to stop reopening for just the three days. Understandable, but I shed a tear.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank John_Goodspeed

Charlotte, North Carolina
“A very bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

My wife and I made reservations for dinner for the two of us at the Stonecliffe Saddle and Sirloin Steakhouse at the recommendation of our B&B hosts on Mackinac Island. Our reservations were for 8:15 on July 19, 2008. The restaurant is located in the Inn at Stonecliffe (apparently a very nice small hotel) which is about a 45 minute horse and wagon taxi ride from the harbor area. Our dinner experience was the worst I've ever had for the money. Where to start? We had house garden salads, which my wife liked but I did not. There was too much going on. Lettuce, dried cherries, nuts, cheese, etc., with too much dressing. It was like eating granola with fruit juice on it. I'd started with a cream of mushroom soup, which was pedestrian. My wife said that her 6 oz. filet mignon was fine, but my 16 oz. bone-in ribeye was awful. it was overcooked and overwhelmed by the sauce. I think I got a piece of the saddle rather than the beef. The service was slow to nonexistent. We were not the only sufferers. Apparently only two waiters were assigned to the entire restaurant. They took orders, served the food, cleared tables, filled water glasses -- everything. Other tables complained. One guest walked out, though his companions sat it out. We just did a slow burn. We remained polite and did not complain. Later several more people came in to try to help, including the hostess, hotel desk clerk, and maybe a dishwasher (just kidding -- I don't know who he really was). Also, to be fair, the restaurant manager did show up early on to pour our wine (amateurishly). This reminds me that the wine list was very short, mostly mediocre, and way overpriced. As it became apparent to the restaurant that they were failing we were offered one free glass of wine (not one each), which we declined, and then free desserts each, which we declined. Voluntarily the restaurant then knocked 20 percent off our tab and offered an oral apology. The entire meal should have been comped. The tab was about $98 after the 20 percent reduction. (The steaks themselves had been about $29 each as I recall.) We also left a $20 tip because we did not think the waiters were particularly at fault. Simply, there was no management expertise. One more negative. The two of us were steated at a small table for four in a large (and very attractive) room with only two other tables, both large and occupied by very large family groups, one with small children. Obviously I have no problem with large groups or small children, but we should have been seated in a quieter, more intimate space. On the plus side, when we reported our experience to the B&B owners who'd recommended the Saddle and Sirloin to us, they remarked that our experience was the first negative one they'd heard of and that others had brought back very good reviews.

5 Thank Roycal