“Very disappointing”

Mustang Lounge
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Welcome to the Mustang Lounge! Mackinac's original year 'round restaurant. We are located on Astor Street in the heart of downtown Mackinac. Come see us for a burger and beer, pizza with the family or enjoy our nightly entertainment. Family appropriate with great food and prices. "Hang at The Stang"
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Our family visited the Mustang for dinner. The waitress seemed very indifferent and didn’t seem to respect our business or that of other nearby diners. We just ordered hamburgers and cold drinks, but we were not impressed. There are so many other good restaurants on the island, this would not be one I would recommend. Other family members said they would not be back.

3  Thank dinnerguest

Reviewed July 1, 2010

We were on a Girl Scout trip and looking for an inexpensive meal with lots of kids options, so the Murray Hotel staff recommended the Mustang.

Our waitress seemed fairly clueless. First she said that there wasn't a written kids menu, and named off several options, including popcorn shrimp. Another server overheard her, and brought over paper placemat menus, which didn't included popcorn shrimp. We all ordered, and two of the kids did order the popcorn shrimp.

During our wait, the server returned to the table to inform one of us that she couldn't substitute the vegetable for the cole slaw. When I asked why not, she shrugged. When I asked if there was an additional charge for the substitution, she shrugged. I had to ask her to ask the kitchen, and when she returned she said, oh yes, they could substitute, no charge.

We waited 45 minutes for our dinners to arrive. During this time, two tables that arrived after us ate and left.

Three of us decided to split the special, a 16oz steak with a cabernet reduction with mushrooms and roasted garlic. The steaks arrived hot, but the server didn't use a tray, and walked back and forth from the kitchen, carrying one or two meals at a time, each time saying "I'll be right back with an extra plate." Only after serving the entire table (14 people) in this fashion did she bring the extra plates, while our food cooled. My friend and I ordered additional grilled mushrooms and onions but they didn't arrive. When we asked, she insisted they were on the steak. When we pointed out that the reduction didn't even have the promised mushrooms, she said "There's one, right there!" One?! And it was the roasted garlic, not the mushroom. Several minutes later, she brought the mushrooms and onions. By the way, the steak was not very high quality, but the sauce was delicious.

When the bill came, we saw that we were charged $12.99 for a shrimp basket. When we questioned this, the server said that my daughter had ordered it. I said, no, she ordered the popcorn shrimp. She said "We don't have popcorn shrimp." Well, we had all heard her offer it, and when my daughter ordered it, she didn't contradict her. She went to the bartender/manager, and returned insisting that my daughter had ordered it. I asked for the manager to speak to us, and explained that since we all heard popcorn shrimp offered and ordered, and since the kids weren't even given adult menus, she couldn't have ordered an adult entree. They then reluctantly and grumpily only charged for a kids meal.

4  Thank aladyinpublic
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I do not know if it was the waitresses 1st day or what, but I will not be going back, We ordered pizza, breadstix & wings. The pizza was ordered wrong, the breadstix came as cheese stix. Instead of making it right she just wanted to argue and try to prove we ordered it wrong. After admitting her mistake she shrugged her shoulders. Asked to split the bill - she literally split the bill in half.
Food was cold & expensive. With the prices of everything on the island, I strongly recomend going somewhere else. Plenty of options on the island.

4  Thank theperryboys
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We went into a little restaurant just as it was closing. The woman - a long time resident of the island- directed us to the Mustang Lounge - "where all the locals go for pizza". The Mustang is not on Main Street and is somewhat removed from the tourist surge. What a wonderful treat. It was the best pizza we had ever eaten. The crust was thick and the toppings bountiful - and the cheese- it tasted fresh and delicious. We took it back to our hotel and tried to finish the whole thing and mourned when we just couldn't eat another bite. You won't go wrong here!

Reviewed July 25, 2009

They have totally redone this place. It used to be kind of gross, but now it's a lot bigger and more family-friendly (before it was strictly a bar with food). We were really looking forward to their pizza b/c we'd had it many times before, but this time we were disappointed b/c the pizza was WAY overdone. The waitress acknowledged it, but we didn't ask for a different one b/c it takes 25 minutes to make it, and we had our young son with us. We just sucked it up. It was disappointing, though, b/c we really had been excited about having their pizza again. Normally, we are happy with this place, but this one isolated time left a bad taste in our mouths (literally).

1  Thank jwilson11513