“Lots of history” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fort Mackinac

Fort Mackinac
More attraction details
Owner description: Historical site of the re-enactment of the fort's 1763 Indian capture and massacre.
Renton, Washington
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Lots of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

To learn the history surrounding this fort and the roll played in the war of 1812 was enlightening. There was a cannon firing demonstration and rifle firing too. The displays are well done and very interesting and held the attention of a 10 y.o. and a 6 y.o.

• Korean first
Woodhaven, Michigan
“history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

The fort is like stepping back in time. The people that worked there were very knowledgeable. We had lunch at the cafe and the food was excellant.

Visited May 2014
Michigan
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Our teenager liked it. Need I say more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Even though we go to the island every year we haven't been to the fort in 6-8 years. Our 13 yr old son wanted to go back. We all really enjoyed it.

Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

The fort does an nice job of reenacting the history of the time. It is really great for the kids. You will hear the guns going off on a regular basis as you are walking around town. Great views of the lake and the straights from there.

Rio, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Climb Was Worth It!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

I originally visited the Fort because my husband, US Army Veteran, wanted to see it. I will admit that the climb up the steep hill was a bit much for me...it was well worth it, though. Taking a taxi up the hill to the back entrance is another way in. The young men in period costumes were fabulous!!! Especially young Mr. Andrew-- he was superb! I learned more about the War of 1812 and Seven Year War from him in 20 minutes than I did in public school. We went in every single building. The views of the Island from the Fort are breathtaking! We witnessed the rifle shooting- twice! Andrew explained to us afterward what the "fog of war" was-- ask him about it. We watched the cannon fire and the men were lucky with their shot and hit the buoy they were aiming for! I'm so glad I went with my husband to see this...reading the letters about life in the Fort from a woman's viewpoint was especially interesting.