“My Favorite Fort”
Review of Fort Mackinac

Fort Mackinac
More attraction details
Owner description: Historical site of the re-enactment of the fort's 1763 Indian capture and massacre.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband is quite a history buff so I have been drug to numerous forts over the years. I must say, I loved everything about this one. The exhibits were great. The rein-actors doing the presentations were the best I have ever listened too. And it is so pretty perched atop the town of Mackinac Island. My best fort to date!

There are newer reviews for Fort Mackinac

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We tend to stop at many forts as we travel. This one has a great view but not a strong sense of the past. The youngish staff portrayed soldiers with enthusiasm and knowledge. Camera buffs will love the harbor views.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

First, I really do like historical sites. But there is little to set it apart from others to make it extraordinary. We saw the cannon demonstration and the rifle demonstration. We walked through many buildings with original furnishings etc inside which I do enjoy comparing to what we have now. It is possible that there would be more to report enthusiastically about but the power was out while we were there so none of the audio-visual displays worked. Would I take a friend there on a future visit? Yes.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This fort tells the story of the Native Americans, French fur traders and British soldiers from a time long ago. These stories added to my knowledge of that period in history and was a welcome addition to our tour of Mackinac Island.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Love the Fort, we take it in on every visit. And the Tea room over looking the lake is a great place for lunch!