“Old but fun :)”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stearns Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ludington
Stearns Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Ludington
“Old but fun :)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

I have been to this hotel a few times and although it is old and I must say a little creepy :), I would definately stay there again. My husband, myself, and another couple stayed there and we went to the Tiki Lounge. We had a great time. The hotel is incredibly old and the hallways and room doors even look crooked but the room was very clean and if you don't expect brand new accomodations you will be fine. (I like nice, clean hotels and this passed the cleanliness inspection) We enjoyed exploring other floors and just looking around. We also liked that the Tiki Lounge was right in the hotel so we could have a good time and then just go up to our room. Also, someone mentioned coffee... we didn't see any but my husband asked the woman at the desk and she went and made some fresh for us. She was very nice and accomodating :)
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank amyinmichigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

Nothing in this hotel has changed since at least 1979. Completely serviceable and well-maintained, reasonably comfy beds, and quiet, but everything is at least 30 years old.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TartanBadger
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

Your first walking into hotel you meet stain all over carpeting and an old musty smell.....The old couple that run this joint are about as friendly as a piece of wood.....the over all look of the place is unreal.....nothing is straight anymore in this place where you check in the main header is off about 6 inch in one corner...if i could of got my money back i would not of ever stayed here.....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BabyKakeMi
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I was here for a wedding and the Stearns does have a lovely facility for weddings. I was impressed in that respect. The hotel, as already mentioned, is old. Not old-quaint, not old-charming, just old. The rooms were decently clean, although smelled (as did the entire hotel) of stale cigarettes and was musty. There was no iron or ironing board in the room, although the front desk was able to locate both with some effort. Oh, and NO COFFEE in the lobby (certainly no coffeemakers in the room.) The website boasts that there is morning coffee...there is...in the restaurant down the street! Many of our group were without shampoo and soap in the bathroom. The rooms were in desperate need of renovation. Not just the furniture and artwork that were completely dated (these actually provided a focus of fun for our group as we compared all the funny mis-matched furniture, etc.) but the doors did not all fit flush in their frames and, in some cases, appeared to be rotting as you could push on the door and it flexed significantly. If I were in a large city, this would be worrisome. I would not make any complaints if the room were reasonably priced, but they were $85/night in Ludington, MI! This seemed extravagant. Being that I was at a wedding I preferred not to drive after the reception and so booked at the Stearns. I expected at least Holiday Inn quality for this price and did not get it. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank ams03
Lansing, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Sterns Motor Inn was just what we were looking for: close to everything, good rates, clean, and nice people. Can't get much better.
Dennis & Beth

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bruizer_man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

A bunch of girlfriends & I stayed at the Stearns Motor Inn the night before my wedding. We were 100% satisfied with our stay. They offer large rooms, great customer service, and good rates. The Stearns is a historic hotel with many new updates. They have a fabulous ballroom that has just been renovated, it would be perfect for an elegant wedding or party of any kind. They have a night club on site that is open on the weekends. It is nice to be able to drink and not worry about finding your way back to your hotel because it is just one door away! It is great for one last night of freedom! Book a room and hit the club! They also have a fantastic hair salon right in the building, but if you plan to have your hair done you better make an appointment well in advance because they are the best in Mason County and are often booked. They also have a gym, fittness spa & tanning. The Hotel is very clean and they have many things to offer. I would recommend it to anyone who would appreciates the finer things in life.

• Liked — Everthing is very close which is great for a busy wedding day with many people!
  • Disliked — Everything was wonderful!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BethAnn K
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

I have stayed at the Stearns on several occasions over the years beginning in the late 80's when I took my family on a driving trip which included our first lake crossing on what was then the "Chessie" and has now become the Car Ferry. Since then I have had several trips of various kinds and when in the Ludington area, always stay at the Stearns. It is not what I would characterize as "charming", however my experience with the management and staff has always been delightful and the Tiki Club located within the hotel is a must-visit experience. When it comes to Retro, this place is the real deal. Loaded with authentic Hawaiian relics and collectibles from blowfish lamps to hula skirts! I love it.

As for the rest of it, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I always got a very nostalgic feeling when I was there which took me back to summer travels with my parents in the 50's. The music in the lobby at the Stearns was always the first flashback...Frank Sinatra and the all the rest, crooning away, always put me at ease the minute I stepped into the lobby. I can't say that the rooms are anything exciting (at least none that I stayed in, but then I'm a bargain hunter so I might not have seen the "best of the best' they have to offer). I can say however that my rooms were always well appointed and very clean and a very good value. While it is true that you can find places with much more charm right down near the beach, you will pay dearly for the experience, that is, if you can find a room at all and don't mind all the traffic and noise down there.

I stumbled upon this site because I hope to get up into Michigan again this summer and I couldn't help but comment when I saw some fairly negative feedback about the place. I have also had similar problems like booking errors at other properties so I know that those things happen, but it has never been the case at the Stearns, and based on my past experiences with the staff there it is difficult to imagine that they wouldn't go out of their way to accommodate any reasonable person. So I thought I ought to say something nice about the place and the people who ran it during my visits.

For my money, the Stearns is a bargain and I would consider staying there again. It means a good long walk to the beach but I'd rather spend the savings on sightseeing.

• Liked — Nice people and the Tiki Lounge
  • Disliked — Except for vending machines, no in-house food/snacks available at time of visit
  • Stayed July 2005
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank IllinoisBeachBum