“I don't get it”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“I don't get it”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in for lunch based on reviews here. I was unimpressed. The wait was long and the menu was limited. While the food tasted good, It was overpriced. Sandwiches were $8.75 or $9.25 and came with a tiny pickle or 4 or 5 tortilla chips. Thats it. They were not large or particularly filled to expect these type of New York Deli prices. Beverages were $1.95 for a 12oz.can of coke and $1.25 for a 20oz. Bottle of 7up.??? I really don't like when places fail to post prices on their menus like they are free or something. A family of four can have one drink for almost $8. We barely got out of there under$50 with tip.

If they were $6 sandwiches and free refils on fountain drinks you would have something worthy of the hype. The decor was eclectic (read garage sale) and yes it did appear to be stachybotrys (black mold) on the vents in the wall. I chalked this one up to experience.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank TheMItraveler

Ludington, Michigan
“Extraordinary soups ~ and more”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

You will not be disappointed in your meal here. The soup menu is amazing, delicious. The breakfasts equally so. Prices also reflect the unique quality of ingredients, etc. Baked goods, breads, comfy setting add to your enjoyment. Open for breakfast and lunch.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mary D
“When will they start selling franchises?”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had been to Chef John's about four and a half years ago and wanted to go back this trip. This place is very down home, and the food is Amazing. The staff never lets you down and you can always count on the food to please. The next time you get a chance stop in and ask for one of their Cinnamon rolls, you will not be disappointed.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jgifford7
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Don't be fooled by the decor!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Humble surroundings both inside and out, on a little side street, in a little lake front town, Chef John's European Bakery and Cafe is an amazing surprise. I have had two breakfasts there now as we travel by boat and stay in Ludington. The menu offers "Breakfast Torte", "Nested Eggs", "Heuvos Rancheros" among others. But my favorites are "Eggs Roulade" and "Shirred Eggs" as well as the "Nested Eggs" which was my last meal there. Potato pieces just the right size and cooked perfectly on the rim of the plate, mixed with sun dried tomatoes, prosciutto and Parmesan cheese which also lines the bottom of the plate with two eggs atop baked in the oven. Oh, my! What a delight! I've never had eggs like this and in a little shop such as this! I could be actually be in Paris from the taste of this food. It is exceptional by any standards. And the hostess/waitress is so pleasant. And the smell of the baked goods - I wish I was not gluten-free! Such temptation everywhere! I did taste test a cookie bit, chocolate chocolate chip, I think. It melted in my mouth. If ever in Ludington, this is a must stop! Open from 8-11 for breakfast, 11-3:30 for Lunch. Sooooooo gooooooood!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank MurJD
Redford MI
“choose your bakery items ASAP”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our down-state group of friends has been eating here for years...... Breakfast, lunch and bakery items..... sometimes it's hard to choose. I prefer the breakfast menu and the first of the morning bakery items which can be sold out by lunch. But the lunch soups are so marvelous! Check out both restrooms... unique as the floor painting and various artifacts that are about the small and mis-matched dining area. Yes, they get crazy some times and not every one gets served in a hurry. WELL WORTH the wait if you are there prime time. They do take charge cards so you can buy lots of yummy bakery items to take back home!

• Visited August 2012