“Great Place”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Ludington
Evanston, Illinois
“Great Place”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Summers Inn in Ludington seems like it would be a perfect spot to rent out a bunch of rooms for a family reunion or wedding. This adults only inn was a great place to stay. My husband and I could tell that a lot of work and love had recently gone into fixing the place up. The room was very comfortable, clean, quiet, and spacious (we were in one of the Suites with a single queen bed). The garden/pond were very well kept up and seemed like an excellent place to spend the afternoon. The location couldn't have been better either - only a 15 minute walk to downtown Ludington/the lake! We were lucky enough to have stayed on a Friday night when a festival was going on downtown, which the owners let us know about when we checked in. The complimentary breakfast was great - probably the best I have ever had at a hotel/inn outside of a B&B. The homemade raisin bread was delicious! Definitely a great place to stay, with a price the couldn't be beat!

4 Thank echodumby
SummersInnLudington, Owner at Summers Inn Ludington, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thanks so much for your review. Your good words and suggestions mean alot to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
michigan
Reviewed July 28, 2012

my wife and i stayed here for 3 nights in mid July. We had a queen suite with a small patio overlooking the gardens. The room was a little plain but very clean. The suite was divided into two rooms - a bedroom and a living room with a small fridge, mircowave and sink. There was plenty of room for two people or more. The suite included a small pull-out couch. The bathroom was large and very nice. The only drawback to the suite was the rock hard bed. much too firm for my taste. The motel in still under going some remodeling but the owners have done a great job with the updates. The garden area is beautiful and includes a small pond and a large covered deck. The breakfast that was included was very good. Great coffee, fruit, homemade breads, cereal, egg "quiche'. The owners and staff were very nice and offered tons of info on what to do and see. We would certainly stay there again.

4 Thank guatepoppy
SummersInnLudington, Owner at Summers Inn Ludington, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thanks for the good review; it is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you both again.
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was the second year at the Summers Inn. This year was just as exceptional as the last! The room we stayed in (the same one as last year - as requested) was newly remodeled and was absolutely gorgeous. There is no doubt that the Summers Inn is better than staying at a motel chain. The rooms are so perfectly decorated, you would swear you are in a little apartment by yourself! The breakfast in the am is unbelieveable - homemade breads and jams. Oh, and the shower... well it is absolutely wonderful! I am hoping to make the Summers Inn a annual tradition!

Room Tip: Get out of the chain and support local business! You will surely be rewarded for that choice.
4 Thank Amy W
, Owner at Summers Inn Ludington, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Amy, thank you so much for your review, it means a lot and we appreciate your returning to stay with us. Sue & Keith
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I were extremely pleased with our stay here last year when it was the Four Seasons. It really fits our style (and budget)- from the modern vintage decor to the homemade breakfast served by the owners themselves! I wish we would've been in town for more than one night so that we could have enjoyed the beautiful grounds that surround it. This will be our go-to hotel for sure anytime we visit Ludington. And it's nice to read that they started the wine tastings this year like they said were going to when we were there last year. I'd love to make it back for one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Veronica G
, Owner at Summers Inn Ludington, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Hi Veronica, Thanks for your review. Your words mean a lot to Sue and I. Were hoping you can return for a glass of wine in the garden. You'll have to check out our new Japanese style lanterns in the pavillion.Sue and Keith
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My partner and I decided to take an overnight trip to Ludington for a weekend in June 2012 to celebrate his birthday. By default, we pretty much always start by looking at the chain hotels in any given destination. But the available rooms in those chain hotels in Ludington were fairly expensive and more than I really wanted to pay. We decided to look for a gay-friendly bed and breakfast and came across Summer's Inn (under its old name - Four Seasons) on the website www.globalgaylodging.com . It's not a bed and breakfast per se but is a decent motel that does offer a very tasty breakfast.

Earlier in the week I had called Suzette to make our reservation and had no difficulty at all. I was expecting to pay about $89 for the night, but when Suzette mentioned the "deluxe queen" room and told me it was only $10 more, I figured why not. I guess the normal rooms are pretty small, and I was willing to pay a little more for a bigger room.

When we arrived, we noticed that it's a lot like your typical roadside motel (the website calls it "a 1950's Vintage Motel for Adults", which is pretty much true). However, there have been a lot of nice renovations that have been made to it. The office/registration/dining area is very nice. Check-in was a breeze. When we walked into our room, we noticed that it was clean and renovated indeed. One thing that's unusual for a motel, though ... a hard wood floor as opposed to carpet. I'm used to carpet, but this was actually very nice! There was a flat-screen TV on the wall with two very comfortable chairs positioned in front of it (where a second bed would have typically been). The low point, however, was the bathroom. The bathroom was clean but was definitely old-school - complete with an old shower like you'd expect in a college dorm. I don't like those dorm showers, and this one does not have a light in it. So I really didn't want to spend much time in there. There is some counter space above the sink/toilet area (recently added) which I found very useful - given a lack of counter space where the sink is. The other thing strange was that there was no molding on the floor where the main room floor ends and the bathroom floor begins; the room floors were only separated by duct tape.

The bed was okay ... nothing special. The bed sits pretty close to the floor. The room did have an air-conditioning unit, which definitely came in handy. Unfortunately, though, I didn't sleep well because the sheets were kinda small (we kept stealing the sheets from each other) and because the air conditioner was blowing cold air on us all night. (We should have taken the time to turn down the AC before going to bed.) One thing the owners should do at some point is swap out the old telephones that still say Four Seasons (at least the little plate that goes over the numbers) and replace them with the current information - front desk hours and breakfast times.

The outdoor sunroom and garden area (as mentioned on the motel's website) are both very nice. We had a chance to sit out there but would have loved the chance to sit out there longer.

Breakfast was very good - complete with homemade bread, local jams, a vegetarian quiche as well as a sausage quiche, baked French toast, fresh fruit, coffee, and cereal. No juice though, which we found a little strange. Very nice dining area where they also have wine tastings at various times.

In general, the service we received was very friendly and welcoming. We were given a few restaurant recommendations for dinner, which were helpful. The only thing the person checking us in forgot to tell us was the time that breakfast would be served in the morning. I had to call the front desk in the morning to ask how late breakfast runs. (The girl who answered the phone didn't know and had to ask someone else.) When I first called, I believe it was before 9:00 and there was no answer. I had to call again around 9:20 to find out.

Overall the motel was slightly above average. The value was okay, but we definitely appreciated the renovations. The bathroom needs some work, but it was acceptable for a night's stay. Excellent location (very close to downtown Ludington) and great service!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank New_friends_GR
, Owner at Summers Inn Ludington, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thanks for your review. When you stayed we were just finishing our room renovations and the threshhold between the bathroom and living room is now installed. We always have o.j. in the morning and I'm sorry that you and your partner missed it when you had breakfast. Yes, our bathrooms are vintage and small but the showers are large. We point this out on our web site. knowing they don't work for everyone. However, they are nicely tiled and we appreccciate that you noted their cleanliness.

Thanks for staying with us.
Chesterfield, Michigan
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I could not have been happier with our stay at Summer's Inn. The owners, Keith and Sue, were very friendly and inviting. They took the time to suggest areas that we would enjoy specific to our interests. They really want their guests to be comfortable and to enjoy their stay. I still am amazed and so thrilled at how clean the rooms and bathrooms were. Homemade breakfast in the morning with fresh ingredients was so delicious. The grounds were very well kept and quiet. They pay attention to ever detail. I do not have one complaint. The price is affordable and this place really exceeded our expectations. I really think that our great experience here will be what brings us back to Ludington. It's rare to find this kind of customer service and hospitality and we thank them:).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Renae N
Thank a lot for the good review and kind words. We hope to see you again soon!
Michigan
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Overall a nice stay for the price. The owners and the staff were extremely nice and helpful. The room was a newly remodeled king, nice size with a small but ok bath. The bed was not as comfortable as we would have liked, and there were a few minor problems that the owners resolved quickly. The outside areas were very nice and quiet with lots of places to sit and relax. The breakfast was ok, and we were very close to town and to the beach. They are still remodeling so things are a little disorganized, but once completed everything should be really nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple