“My Favorite Lighthouse!”

Big Sable Point Lighthouse
Ranked #4 of 34 things to do in Ludington
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This lighthouse is in the State Park, so you need a pass to get in. Then it is nearly a 2 mile hike on a trail through the dunes just to get to it. It seems like a lot of work just to see a lighthouse but it is worth it! I'm from Indiana so I'm not familiar with these things, but when I think of a lighthouse, this is exactly what comes to mind. You can't see anything but beaches and dunes from here. The keepers quarters are just beautiful. You have to pay the volunteers to go up it and its a easy climb. The spiral stairwell seemed wider then others we had went up, and the view is spectacular. The volunteers where friendly and really loved the lighthouse. If you are able to get to it, this is a must see.

There are newer reviews for Big Sable Point Lighthouse

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took my 2 year old grandson here, we have a jogging stroller so it did ok in the sand, we only had issues in a few spots along the way. Once we arrived the view was beautiful and staff friendly. I had been to the top previously so we did not go this time, not recommended for small kids but a must if you can.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great Light house. Friendly Staff. Great Views from the top of the
tower. Nice gift shop. Nice to see this beauty open to the public.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have been to Big Sable Point Lighthouse many times. The first couple of times we visited as guests, now we are members of SPLKA, Sable Points Lighthouse Keepers Association. We have been members for many years now and volunteer as two-week keepers every other summer. The lighthouse and keepers quarters are a great historic site and is maintained by SPLKA members. Big Sable LH is located on a wonderfull sand point north of Ludington, Michigan and is entered by going thru Ludington State Park. It is a nice walk, but long, via a well maintained sand road from the park. You can also walk the beach to the LH from the park. They offer tours of the tower, have a great history presentation, a very big gift shop (with beverages and snacks), very clean public bathrooms, and is beautifully remote and private, aways from the busy world. Ludington is a great town to visit and spend time in, and don't forget the lighthouse in the town itself, Ludington North Breakwater Light.

1  Thank RandBTravel
Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you walk along the shore to the lighthouse, be sure to look for a historical sign and remnants of a shipwreck validating the need for the Big Sable.

Inside access and tours of the lighthouse end at 5pm - since it's volunteer ran I'm not complaining. The staff is EXCELLENT, just know you can't see sunrises or sunsets of the lighthouse from inside.

I wish I spent more time learning about this lighthouse before visiting it - the lighthouse seemed rich in history.