“everything we needed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ludington
Country Haven Resort Motel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Ludington
Plymouth, Michigan
“everything we needed”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We recently stayed here for the weekend of the Ludington Lakestride. We stayed in cottage #8. My mother and aunt arrived a few hours before us and although the reservation was in my name they had no trouble checking in early after a quick phone call from me. The cottage was larger than expected, always a nice surprise, with my mother even commenting "i would call this a house, not just a cottage." Although everything was clean, the bathroom fixtures had some years on them and I wasn't sure how great the shower would be but I was happy with the water pressure and overall it was just fine.

My two complaints would be that the staff wasn't readily available. I've never stayed in a cottage before though so maybe this is typical of that atmosphere. I had to make three phone calls before finally reaching someone to ask about my family checking in early. I was told when I arrived to please pay at the office but when we got there (between their 4-6 stated check-in time) the door was locked. Someone did respond from an upstairs window fairly quickly though. Upon check out, they were very kind in letting us know that we could take our time as there was no one scheduled to arrive for the cottage that day. When we were ready to leave I went to the office to find it locked again. I rang the doorbell and waited at least 5 minutes before calling the phone numbers listed on the door. When I finally spoke with someone she told me to just leave the cabin open and keys inside. I just wish they had told me that's all I needed to do for check-out before I stood around trying to find someone.

We also never found an area to swim. I thought I had seen online that there was a sandy area with some things for kids to play on/with and a small swimming area. When my husband asked about this he was told the beach was 1.5 miles down the road. He said he was told something about a slide but he walked around and didn't see anything. So maybe we just missed it???

Overall, it was a nice place to stay, especially if you're going to make use of all the water toys (boats, kyaks, etc) they have available, which we didn't. If I were to go to Ludington again, I may look for something with actual beach access though.

Room Tip: we had cottage #8, great space, decent front yard area, but quite close to a busy road which some ma...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Heather R

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I took a trip to Ludington this fall and wanted to stay somewhere reasonably priced and close to the downtown area. This is the first place we came across online and we booked it. The price was very good and it was right on Hamlin Lake which we thought would be nice. When we got there the lady was very nice and extremely laid back. The room was very clean and just what we were looking for. It had a full kitchen and bath, one bed and a futon. Along with the room rental they allow you to use their canoes and small bass boats with trolling motors on them for free. Unfortunately we couldn't go on Hamlin Lake because it was so windy and choppy, but there is a channel leading to a smaller body of water that was calm enough for us to go out on. It was very nice and serene. Another thing that was very nice was the hot tub they have in the boat house. Since it was kind of chilly it was nice to relax in that in the evening. They leave the boat house unlocked all day and night so you can use it whenever you want which was also very convenient. Overall, I would recommend Country Haven to anyone who is looking to stay in the Ludington area. It is only about four miles away from the downtown area, and is close to the state park too. The price was very good, especially with all of the extra stuff they let you use while staying there. If we go back to Ludington, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kylewagz
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Country Haven was where I stayed the first time I visited (and fell in love with) Ludington. My boyfriend at the time (now husband) would stay in one of the apartments in the main building, and then his parents, aunt, and brother (or whoever would come up with us) would stay in one of the cottages. Because of the kitchen in the cottage, we rarely would go out to eat, and it saved a ton of money. I will say, try to get a cottage as the showers in the apartments (or at least the one we usually stay in) is just a stall. And remember, this resort is intended for outdoors-people. If you don't like the country, don't stay in the country. You can ask Shirley and Bill for anything - the key word is ASK. If you want them to leave you alone, they'll do that as well. :-)
Make sure to take out a pontoon! So fun! Last year my husband and I took out a jet-ski. We couldn't move for days after!
We often would stay over the night of the Perseid meteor shower (late August) - if you see a couple lying on one of the bayou docks at 2 am, that's probably me and my husband watching the meteors. I've never seen anything like these! We even had some of our engagement photos taken at the docks.
My husband's family went back earlier this month; unfortunately we could not make it as we used up all of our vacation time getting married in Ludington in May. I love this town. - Thanks to Shirley and Bill for helping me fall in love with this area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Gwendila
Tipton, Michigan
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Please dont let the one bad review above scare you away. This place is very clean . My husband and I stumbled upon it accidently just driving through Hamlin Lake and very glad we did. It was our one year anniversary and were looking for somewhere romantic an cozy on the lake. The prices are great and there are so many free amentaties with it along with ATVs you can renl. Its family owned and they are wonderful people. We stayed in room #3 and thorougly enjoyed ourselves. You can kayak, take one of the electric boats out, bike, canoe, paddle boat and enjoy the jacuzzi all for free with your room rental. What a great place. Its just minutes from downtown ludington . We will definitly be coming back in the near future and will definitly reccomend this place to all our friends. Thanks for making our anniversary unique.

The Voelkles

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank svoelkle
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Not sound proof, electrical issues, hot/cold water problem in shower, not smoke detectors

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ILoveMI
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Where to begin? Perhaps the mousetrap we found behind the dresser-- evidence of a clear problem. Or maybe that the provided flatware and dishes in the cabinets all had remnants of food on them and had to be washed before we could use them. The refrigerator smelled terribly from the last visitors. There was no air conditioning (not mentioned on the Web site, btw, but perhaps that's my fault for not asking), and one of us was asthmatic. The only ceiling fan in the 4-room suite was in the common area, so we went out and purchased box fans for the bedrooms. The internet connection didn't extend to the side of the motel we were staying on at all. Not really a problem for me, but my stepson was devastated. We ran out of toilet paper on our 3rd day (out of a 7 night stay), and no one ever asked us if we needed anything. Luckily, my mother had brought a roll or two for just such a situation. The final straw was the roaches. One crawled across an arm. Another scuttled behind the toilet when the lights were turned on in the bathroom in the middle of the night. I got an up-close view of that one myself. We left a day early. I realize now that the requirement to pay in full in advance, preferably by check was not a quirk of a small town motel but a defense against any attempt to stop payment.

All that said, the wrap-around porch was quite lovely. We spent most of our time at the motel out there. Would I return to the Country Haven "Resort" Motel for that? Not on your life.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank knittermom09
Shirl56, Owner at Country Haven Resort Motel, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
First and foremost we would have appreciated it if this guest would have brought these concerns to our attention immediately so we could have addressed them. We pride ourselves in operating a resort which is known for its cleanliness and family orientation.
Our resort is located in the country and although it is rare we do ocassionally get small rodents that do their best to get into the units for the warmth, hence the mousetrap located behind a dresser.
This situation occurs in the Fall and we merely forgot to remove it from the unit.
We have ample supply of toilet paper in our main office located within the main lodge. All this guest would have had to do is merely ask for more and we would have graciously provided it. We generally leave additional rolls of toilet paper in each unit but it is very possible that one of our housekeepers failed to restock. They are human and do make mistakes despite there every effort to be thorough.
We are completely puzzled at the comment regarding the 'roach' as this would be the first time in 21 years that one was sited on or in our properties. This summer was hot and humid which certainly provides for the perfect environment for bugs but we find it very hard to believe this siting is accurate. Once again had we known there was a concern we would have addressed it and applied the proper spray to immediately eradicate this matter. We have never had a complaint of this type from any other guest prior to or since. Again, we pride ourselves in the cleanliness of our resort. Just this summer we received a call from our area Chamber of Commerce informing us that a guest had stopped in and was raving about how clean our resort was.
We do not have air conditioning in our units, however, ceiling fans can be found in all units with box fans and stand fans available upon request. Many times we leave portable fans in each unit during our summer season but to save on storage space within the units we will often times store them in our office. All these guests would have had to do is ask and we would have graciously provided them for their comfort. We try and provide our guests with privacy and depend on them to let us know if there is anything at all they may need. With our resort located on Hamlin Lake and just miles from Lake MI we frequently get prevailing west winds off the lake causing our guests to request more blankets than air conditioning. With the hot humid summer we had we found this the first year in our history where we actually could have used air conditioning. If this becomes typical summer weather for us we will certainly consider installing it.
Again, we pride ourselves in the cleanliness of our resort and the family atmosphere consisting of free use of kayaks, paddleboats, bassboats w/electric trolling motors, canoe and bicycles. We have to believe that 19 of 21 years in business being record years, with an increase of over 40% this year must say something about our goal of satisfying our customers, at least most of them.
DetroitGrrl3
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My significant other and stayed at cottage # 9 at Country Haven in mid-October for a long weekend. Prior to arriving, the owners Shirley and Bill were very pleasant and helpful. We also booked a day of ATV rentals for this trip, which Bill very kindly helped us with. The cottage that we stayed in was recently updated and very clean. Newer bathroom, windows, floors, kitchen, deck, etc. The cottage was on a small hill overlooking Hamlin Lake. JUST GORGEOUS! We are actually going back up there again in about 2 weeks for another long weekend. I highly recommend a stay at Country Haven. The Resort is very clean and quaint. You can stay in the hotel part of the resort, or the cottages (which I recommend the later). Pricing is VERY resonable. I just love this place! We plan on continuing to go back there every so often. You can also rent from Country Haven several types of different boats, snowmobiles, and jet skis (again, we rented the ATVs). I was also told by the owners that they have a jacuzzi in the boat house, which we plan on using when we go back this November. GREAT PLACE!!

Stayed October 2008