“A mixed bag”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Ludington
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

There are good reasons to stay at this hotel and good reasons not to. I will cover both.

First, reasons to stay here. This is a very family oriented hotel. The water slide, pool, and hot tub are sure to be enjoyed by your kids. If that is not enough to wear their batteries down, there is also a small playground and shuffleboard court outside. There is a wood deck next to the play area outside the parents can sit on while the kids play.

A continental breakfast is offered each morning. In most ways, it is similar to other hotels in this price range (I paid $59 for a Friday night in early summer but expect to pay more if you do not book far in advance). One advantage this breakfast had over other hotels in this price range is they had four waffle makers instead of one. In addition to the regular waffle batter, they also had a strawberry flavored batter. Also, they had several flavors of syrup. The woman taking care of the breakfast area was friendly and interacted with the guests.

While this property does not have a business center, there is a public computer in the lobby and free wi-fi is available. Complementary newspapers are not included but the Ludington Daily News is available for purchase in the lobby.

Now, why you should skip this property and stay elsewhere. Since this property is the only one in Ludington with a water slide, it is easy to imagine how many vacationing families stay here. It's not that their water slide is hugely elaborate (see attached picture) it's just the only game in town. I am surprised no other hotel has added one to their property. Many of the rooms in the hotel surround the pool area but there are some on a separate hallway on the south side of the property. When I was assigned to a room in this area, I saw it as a positive. Unfortunately, I was not far enough away from the noise. The walls and floors of this property must have been made using cheap materials because it is very easy to hear people running up and down the hallway. Also, every time a door opened and closed, it was easy to hear. I had the misfortune of being placed next to a noisy family. From what I could discern through the wall, it sounded like two families were staying in the hotel and were using the room next to mine to socialize. The kids were back and forth from joyful screaming to crying while the parents talked over the noise. I asked to be moved to another room but the hotel was full. As I knew would happen, they got tired around 10:00 or so and started to settle down. Better to be next to a noisy family who does not stay up late than noisy couples who stay up all night. I got up at 7:00 the next morning. I can say with great certainty they got up at 8:15. Could these walls possibly be any thinner?

Would I stay here again? I would certainly try to avoid it. If for some extreme reason it was unavoidable, I would request the very last room at the southern edge of the building in hopes I could detach myself from the noise. I understand kids will be kids but parents need to be responsible. When they are not, the resulting noise seems 10x magnified if the building has cardboard thin walls and floors.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank pinnacle-project
ilovebwlud, Director of Sales at Best Western Lakewinds, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do attract many families because of the water slide, this can be less desirable if your traveling without children. We do have several rooms that are away from the pool area and I apologize that we couldn't move you to a quiet location of the hotel, we do fill up quickly in the summer months. Thank you again for you honest review and hope you continue to come and enjoy the Ludington area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We choose the BW Splash Park Inn for our long weekend vacation for our family of six, consisting of two adults, a 17 year old boy, six year old girl, four year old girl, and 11 month baby. We stayed in the " two bedroom apartment" for four nights June 5-9, 2013 for $169 a night. I liked the idea of this room because it had a kitchen and living room, as opposed to two adjoining rooms, which probably would have cost nearly the same....maybe more. I believe this is the only room like this here. It's an odd room, right behind the front desk, completely separate from the rest of the rooms. My husband said it seems like someone's weekend project. There are no dressers in any of the rooms and the decorations seem like leftovers from another project. The bathroom is the tiniest, most cramped, afterthought of a bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. It is literally 5'x7'.(I counted the 12" tile.). The door barely clears the sink by three inches, one has to be completely walk around to the backside of the door to close it. One room has a comfortable queen bed, older style TV on a wall bracket, and large closet with useless storage above. The other room has two twin beds, with one being a trundle, the same type of closet as the other room, and a 40" flat screen tv. This worked perfect for our two little girls. Then there's the "living room", it has 60" tv, two club style chairs, and a pull out couch. The kitchen has full size appliances, and a round pedestal table with four chairs.

I'm not sure how often this room rented, the staff didn't seem used to having anyone in here. The room only had four towels upon arrival and the pullout couch only had one DIRTY sheet on the mattress. We had to ask for bed linens and pillows for it, as well as extra towels. Our first day here, the room was never cleaned. I asked for more towels and asked for the room to be cleaned. I thought the front desk would have been very surprised and apologetic, but no....just here are your towels and make sure you don't have the privacy tag on the door. (Which we didn't use at anytime during our stay.). There was something sticky on the kitchen table and floor, which I just cleaned myself.

The breakfast was good, the pool was okay, and the playground is very nice. I felt very safe, and am glad they had wifi. Would I stay here again? No, there are a lot other hotels in Ludington that probably would cost about the same that I would give try.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Beth P
ilovebwlud, Director of Sales at Best Western Lakewinds, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, this room was the owners quarters back in the 70's and has been remodeled for guest use. We are sorry that your experience wasn't as good as you had expected, our goal is to have every guest enjoy their stay and want to return. We do have a variety of rooms that would fit your family size and hope that you give us another opportunity to provide you with a memorable stay at our Best Western. Please give us a call if you will be in the Ludington area.
Manteno, Illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Recently had a great stay at the Best Western, Ludington MI. Great Rates. Clean, well appointed
room. Great hot breakfast with waffles, biscuits and gravy. Also bagels, juices, rolls. Very friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are always happy to know that our guest are enjoying their stay. We hope that if you are in the Ludington area in the future that you will give us a call.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for our anniversary. Was greeted nicely. Check in was a snap. The room was very clean and comfortable. No real downside other than I think our room was near a car wash because you could hear the dryer every so often. That was only because the window was open. Heat/air conditioner worked great as did the mini frig.bed was soft,everything was very clean and fresh smelling. The pool and hot tub were amazing! Breakfast was pretty good too. Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013
ilovebwlud, Director of Sales at Best Western Lakewinds, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we do have a great team at this Best Western and appreciate you taking the time to let us and other travelers know how your stay was an enjoyable one. Safe travels to you and if you find yourself back in Ludington, please give us a call.
Buchanan, Michigan
Reviewed May 20, 2013

On your way to a great time outdoors, stay at Best Western in Ludington, MI. In our travels we have found that some of the Best Westerns have become tired looking-outdated. They are in need of a face lift. Not so in Ludington. It is modern, comfortable and a great place for kids to enjoy the pool and slide which is indoor so they can enjoy it anytime of the year. The breakfast is fantastic, also. The reason I say a great time outdoors is that northern Michigan has so much to offer for hiking, fishing, kayaking, beaches, dunes, biking and good eats. Start your tour in Ludington and then head for the best state park in the state which is Ludington State Park. It has it all, miles of sandy beach, great campsites, super hiking and biking trails and outstanding sunsets at the lighthouses. We have traveled all over the US and still love to go up north.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the pool, get an inside room. If you want to relax without the noise of kids...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
It is nice to know someone else appreciates our beautiful Ludington area as much as we do. And thank you for taking time to write this review, we want to share all Ludington has to offer and we think were the Best hotel to stay at while your traveling to our area. Thank you for sharing.
Narrows, Virginia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I am late with my review but wanted to get this out there. We were here visiting in the fall of last year with our Granddaughter who is a member of the Coast Guard, Station Ludington, Mi, We needed a larger room with access for a wheelchair so we booked a Family Room. The main bedroom was separate and had a jacuzzi tub which was awesome. The second bedroom (yes each had their own door), had a twin size trundle bed which was perfect for our disabled son. There was a small entrance room kitchenette, and large accessible bath room. We were here for 3 nights and were very pleased with the service. We arrived late in the evening and were a little disappointed in the mattresses on the trundle bed. They were completely worn out and very uncomfortable. Within an hour of telling the front desk the next morning the mattress was changed out for a brand new one. The buffet breakfast was top notch and the lady who was working there was a joy to converse with. Everything was clean and bright. Although we did not use the swimming facilities those who did seemed to be having lots of fun. We look forward to our next visit with them.
If there was a negative it would be the Handicap parking as there were only a couple places close to our room. Actually parking altogether would be greatly improved with the addition of 8 to 10 more spots. Thank you for making our visit so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank your for your review of our hotel, we do have quite a variety of room types and we were very glad that this one worked so well for you. We appreciate that you let us know about the mattress, some guest may not have and just left unhappy. We encourage guest to let us know right away if something is not satisfactory, we do what we can to make everyone's say an enjoyable one. Thank you again and hope to see you in the future.
Muskegon, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Went away just for the night for the kids to swim in a pool....and me to relax in the hottub...After arriving we find out the hot tub jets are not working, which that is the main reason to get into a hot tub...and by the looks of the signs I don't think they have been working for awhile....The pool water was cold and the water slide water is extremely cold.. The rooms are small but that was ok, we were there to swim not sit in a room....The breakfast buffet was very nice.....If they could get the hot tub jets fixed and heat the pool and water slide water,,,they place would be perfect for a nightly family getaway.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

ilovebwlud, General Manager at Best Western Lakewinds, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Tina S,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We are in the process of getting the hot tub jets fixed and are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludington
Comfort Inn
#11 of 17 in Ludington
Ludington Pier House Hotel/Motel
Nader's Lakeshore Motor Lodge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manistee

Been to Best Western Lakewinds? Share your experiences!