“Northern Michigan's Secret”

Ranked #8 of 71 Restaurants in Ludington
Cuisines: Sushi, Bar, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a French/Japanese Fusion bistro that specailizes in farm to table and boat to table, we also have a sidewalk cafe. We are open in our bistro Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 4:30 pm. to 9:30 P.M. and our patio is always open one hour later with drinks and snacks sometimes later depending on business. We are open on Friday and Saturday from 4:30 pm to10:30 pm bar open later on weekends. Winter hours may very. We offer a wide variety of local fish, and speciality old cooking techniques from pot roast to a full sushi menu, also offer a full kids menu!!!
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Last week my boyfriend and I ended up staying in Ludington for a days on our way to Mackinaw. We stayed at a great bed and breakfast where they recommended the Blu Moon as the area's best. Needless to say, they were dead on, in fact we ate there two of the three nights we were in town. The place is eclectic and all over the place, especially the way too many items menu, took us ten minutes just to read the three menus, but this negative quickly fades when the rest of the experience hits. We sat at the bar and Tom the bartender comforted us in tons of personality and original cocktails. He guided us through the mess of their enormous menu and pinpointed the food that makes the Blu Moon special. My cutie pie boyfriend had the pot roast and I went with the tuna tartare. The pot roast was as simple and as perfect as one would expect while the tuna tartare was to die for! This is big city flavors in a small coastal town. We finished up with the recommended owner's recipe carrot cake and were simply blown away! We were told they run out of it frequently due to it's popularity, good sign.

The second night was two days later after a miserable dinner at another local "nice" restaurant. Once again we sat at the bar and focused on small plates and drinks. Duck carpaccio, sushi, and shrimp and grits. My god, delicious. We let Tom create drinks for us throughout the night and we ended up having one of the best times at a restaurant bar we have ever had. Even tried a one of a kind homemade bacon vodka cocktail. Stunning.

I can see where others, especially the stuffy rich locals that seemed to be swarming Ludington when we were there, not liking this place for it's eccentricity, but as a hipper younger couple with big city tastes we absolutely adored the Blu Moon. Next time we will be trying their roof top and their front sidewalk cafe, which was being built and wasn't open when we were there. Bravo Blu Moon, bravo.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Referred by several locals as the best place in town for dinner, we tried it after eating at Jamesport Brewing Company the night before. Blu Moon was better, with an interesting menu, excellent service and good atmosphere. Better beer at Jamesport, but for food, go to the Moon.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I've visited Blue Moon recenently. I was sat at the bar by the host and was promtly told by the bartender (in a very Condescending manner) that the seat was reserved. I was then shoved at a small table in the bar area. The two other people i was with order drinks, two sushi rolls, and the calamari and mussels, they were okay. The intire time I was the the bartender was joking loudly with whom I would assume we're his friend that he "reserved" the seats for, ruining mine and my friends Experience.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We enjoyed sitting on the roof top for dinner. They were busy, so the service was just a bit slow, but our server made up for it in friendliness and lots of communication. We enjoyed everything we ordered and would return in the future.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food is good and somewhat varied, but I'm not big on fusion so I admit that up front. The rest of our party picked the restaurant and I went along. The few times I've been here I've always found something I like. This time around I had the fish and chips which was nicely seasoned and not too greasy. The fish was flaky and fresh tasting and the batter was light. The fries didn't need added salt in my opinion, which is good because there was no salt or pepper at the table. I might add that on a previous visit I had the Damn Yankee Pot Roast and found it overly salty. So if salt is an issue for you - either you want more or want to limit it - you might want to take that into consideration. You can always ask the chef to hold the salt or request the server bring a shaker to the table and add your own. The staff are efficient and polite.