“Very dissappointing....Not Hyatt Quality.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia

Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
Orlando
“Very dissappointing....Not Hyatt Quality.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I travel quite a bit for work and was using hyatt points for a majority my 2 week stay in Michigan. We started off by staying a week at the Hampton Inn on Loop Drive in Commerce. I will review that also but we wished we would have stayed at the Hampton. It is about a 10 minute drive from this hotel but I would highly recommend (and I'm not a huge fan of Hamptons overall for it's totally unbiased). I had 9 days worth of Hyatt Points to use so we spend our second half of the trip at the Hyatt Livonia as it was closer to our family in Ann Arbor.

We were very surprised/dissapointed by many things in this hotel. It is not a hyatt caliber hotel. If I would have paid for this room, I would have checked out immeditely upon check in and went back to the Hampton. I would not have spend the money for this hotel. It was the quality of a motel 6. The hotel is in disarray, you can tell that there is a lack of interest in maintaining and up keep from the top down. The hotel was dirty, the staff only vacuumed our room once during the 8 days we were there and we had to request it. We didn't hear them vaccuuming any other rooms either not even where guests checked out (only the hallway every few days). We needed to formally request for sheets to be changed even though we placed the card on the bed. Even then, we could only get them to change them once. Housekeeping works until after 6 pm everyday and we didn't want them in the room without us there. It really didn't matter though, since they seemed very aware of when we left and arrived to our room, it made me a little uncomfortable. We saw the housekeeping staff a lot but it was only because their break room was right next to our room. they were very dilligent in getting food from the gallery, smoking, and talking amongst themselves but not very dilligent in....well....cleaning. Some leaves had blown into the hallway, right outside of their breakroom, and remained there for 4 days.

No one here seems to be aware of how a hotel should run, or of Hyatts own policies. Many of the staff can't answer simple questions like where is the printer. You get answers like, "I'm new" or "i'm not sure". And not with a follow up, "let me find out for you".

The pool is dirty, cloudy, and cold. My kids, who normally live in the pool, only visited the pool once and lasted 5 minutes.

the breakfast was very lackluster and 90 percent of the dished were notably dirty. I mean, old food caked on them. You have to go through litterally 9 bowls to find 1 clean one. If this is what we can see, I would hate to think about the things that we didn't see. Many quests were commenting but no one seemed to care at this Hyatt. The breakfast was burnt.

There was old food, from another guest, under our fold out bed. the floors in the elevator are cracked and broken. This hotel looks very run down and it is obvious that no one takes any pride in. I felt like they do the absolute minimum that they can get away with so that they make the max dollar off each guest. Of course, we know that this is usually the case in business, but it is very obvious here. This experience has made me reconsider using hyatt for all my business travel. I wouldn't want another vacation experience like this for my family so I think I better reconsider which loyalty plan/chain I use so that when it's time to benefit, I actually want to use it.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. We tried the Hampton Inn on Loop Drive in Commerce/Walled Lake and it was exce...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 3lildivas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
North Olmsted, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with the room. it was quite spacious, had two double beds, a large desk with a chair, two sinks, a fridge and an L shaped 4 seater sofa. i am not sure if this is the size of all rooms or if I was given a suite. This is the largest room I have ever stayed in, in a hotel

The rooms were well presented, clean, had granite worktops around the sinks and were generally pleasant.

With my expectations raised, i was disappointed with the bathroom. It was clean and had nothing wrong with it but it seemed more like the bathroom of a budget hotel and was not in keeping with the rest of the room. It was a bit small and a bit plain.

The staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. I thought this was better than most other places i have been to.

The breakfast was scrumptious, had a good variety and the room where it was served was also quite nice, albeit a bit small.

I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I already stayed at the Hyatt Place for the second time during a business trip to Detroit. I like the location as many restaurants are nearby to get something to eat in the evenings.

Also the in house bar offers some food. The salads are good and reasonable priced. The breakfast is included and I like it.

The rooms are big and you get a small kitchen, a huge sofa and two queen size beds, a desk to work on in the evenings.

The rooms service could have been a little more accurate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels over the years and this was one of the best stays I have had. Fantastic rooms and great breakfast in the morning. The staff was awesome and the location was great! I have nothing bad to say about this place and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dyer, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Hotel staff was extremely friendly during my entire stay. From the lobby, to the guest rooms, the meeting spaces and breakfast area; the property was impeccably clean. The rooms are very comfortable and easy to work in. The Hyatt Place Livonia is an excellent value for both business travelers and families.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Montague, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my adult daughter and visited in the room with two other adult daughters. The layout of the room was perfect for this family get together. The desk staff were friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was varied and well done. I recommend this hotel.
But I do have some tips. Do request a room away from the elevators. As indicated in other reviews they are loud. It was very surprising to have a nice mini-fridge, sink and counter, but NO MICROWAVE.
Here are the negative comments:
Upon entering our room after check in, there where about 6 housekeeping staff in there having a bit of a party. I'm sure they were just all taking a break ...but REALLY?? It was well after posted check-in times. As a result there was still a little trash on the floor of the bathroom and the room didn't seem to be cleaned fully. There was a decorative panel kicked out of place that should have been put back.
One additional negative. There seemed to be an overall sense of stain. (sofa, floor) Not terrible, but obviously they could steam clean a bit more often. For this I do not give an Excellent rating.

Room Tip: TIP: If you need a microwave, ask for one on reservation or check-in. I was told when checking out...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hansonv
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice hotel, located within a mall back from the main road, room was quite large with a king bed and a pull out queen couch. Stayed there for a recent hockey tournament. They went out of there way to have breakfast available for the hockey teams earlier than advertised, great selection and friendly service. Had a lot of noise from one team on our floor and they promptly took action including calling the police when they would not comply I would highly recommend this hotel as they went above and beyond to make us comfortable and looked after our requests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank noarc1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livonia
Fairfield Inn & Suites Detroit Livonia
Comfort Inn Livonia
#5 of 15 in Livonia
4.0 of 5 stars 147 reviews
TownePlace Suites Detroit Livonia

Been to Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia? Share your experiences!