“Not up to Marriott standards”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Detroit Livonia
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Harbor Springs, Michigan
“Not up to Marriott standards”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My wife and I stayed one night at this Fairfield Inn in Livonia, MI, while in the metro Detroit area on business. As a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member who has stayed at various Marriott facilities in the US and Canada for over 6 months this year, I was somewhat disappointed in this particular Marriott, which is beginning to show its age.

The entire staff was cordial and hospitable, definitely up to Marriott standards.

However, our room, which was actually a complimentary upgrade was not. We checked into the room in mid afternoon on one of the most hot days of the summer. The air conditioning fan was running full blast, but the room was stifling hot. I innocently assumed that housekeeping had just turned on the unit and that it would take a while to cool down. We left the room shortly after leaving our luggage and did not return until late in the evening, at which time the room was still stifling hot. We were too tired to request a room switch at that time of the night and hoped that the cooling outside air would do a better job than a non-functioning room air conditioner.

The next morning I grabbed a bath towel from the towel bar next to the shower, only to have the bar fall from its brackets because of loose screws. Further the water kept flowing into the toilet water basin because the flush handle was stuck.

Complimentary breakfast was nice, as was the breakfast supervisor.

Complimentary wi-fi Internet was easy to access from my laptop.

The location of this Fairfield Inn was good, close to major roads and the Interstate, but still far enough away to be quiet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank LouBobHarborSprings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ohio
Reviewed May 11, 2009

This is a really nice hotel. The price was much better than other hotels in the area that I was looking at and the place was really nice. Everything was clean and fresh, including the pool area. The breakfast was good and the staff was very friendly. My son had an incident while we were there, the housekeeping staff was sympathetic and understanding. I plan to stay here again when I am in the area next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TraciNK
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at the Livonia Fairfield Inn twice in the last two months. Both experiences were excellent. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating. We had a jacuzzi king on both occassions and loved it. The rooms are quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The kind lady who runs the breakfast buffet goes out of her way to make sure that everyone is satisfied and the area remains clean for new breakfast goers. The hotel is located close to numerous restaurants and shopping areas as well as 2 movie theatres with a short 1 mile drive.

• Liked — Quietness of the rooms
  • Disliked — Breakfast area was a bit small
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy J
Southeast, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I wasn't too sure what to expect, and frankly was prepared for the worst. But the Fairfield Inn, Livonia really surprised us. We rented the Jacuzzi Suite and the room was much nicer than the pictures on the website made it out to be. The rooms must have been updated since the pictures were taken. The staff was very friendly, rooms very clean, and all of this at a great rate. Would recommend and would stay there again. Thanks Fairfield.

• Liked — One of the only hotels in the area with a Jacuzzi room.
  • Disliked — We wished breakfast ran later than 9:30.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Stayed here at the end of March 2008. Booked a feather free room, as my husband has allergy to feathers. Also requested extra pillows with the online booking. Also requested AAA price. On arrival the room was full of feather pillows, so we went to ask at the desk, and were made to stand there while they looked, so I suggested that as we were late for our dinner booking we should "leave it with them" they looked confused and told us to check in with the desk on our return, I said they could just sort it out and and leave the foam pillows in our room,...no they couldn't do that as they don't go in the guests rooms! Well they found 2 pillows, put them in our room but did not take the feathers out. We ended up having to use a folded duvet for a pillow. They told us they would "comp" the room, in the morning the bill showed we had been charged the full room rate without AAA discount. On arrival we were made to sign a no smoking agreement, but in the middle of the night we definately smelt someone smoking as the smell came through the air vents. Definately would not stay here.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2008

After reading the reviews here I decided to stay at the Fairfield Inn due to the fact that it was the only place with openings at the time. I must say that I was extremely impressed after the mixed reviews here. However, I started up some small talk with the front desk staff while waiting for a cab to the airport and I guess they had somewhat recently changed managers. I must say it really shows if the earlier reviews are true.

The staff at the front desk was great from check-in to check-out. When I realized that I had no toiletries with me they gave me whatever they could in the form of a toothbrush, shaving creme, toothpaste and some other goodies.

The breakfast area was great and the lady working that morning was one of the nicest ladies I've ever seen at 7am.

Finally, the room was adequate. I don't need much besides a bed and that was provided to me in a clean fashion.

I would recommend this property to anyone that is staying in Livonia near the expressway. Its unfortunate that the reviews started with old management otherwise I would think that this property would rank higher.

• Stayed July 2007
Ohio
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I had to stay overnight due to an extended business trip, so I did not have a reservation. I checked the Courtyard first, but it was full, and the Marriott next to the Courtyard was over $200/night.

The staff at the Fairfield inn was friendly and professional. The room was clean and adequate for my needs. The breakfast bar was nicely stocked. I needed shaving cream and the front desk provided a small can, not the useless packets that some hotels offer.

Whatever problems they may have had a few years ago seem to have been fixed.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business