“decent food and beer but fraudulent pricing and inept customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Claddagh

Claddagh
Ranked #50 of 266 Restaurants in Livonia
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Midland, Michigan
“decent food and beer but fraudulent pricing and inept customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food is adequate and the beer selection is good. If you stick to the beer on special and lower-priced food you will do fine as I did for 6-8 visits. When we decided to order Irish whiskeys then the bad started. Quite as you would expect when ordering a whiskey the waitress asked if we wanted neat or on the rocks. I ordered neat but with a side glass of ice - my buddy ordered his on the rocks. When our bill came we found that for each of his drinks we were charged an extra $4.25 for "the rocks". Huh????? They claimed that "on the rocks" was more alcohol so they charged more but the menu price said nothing like that (prices were listed with the drinks and no upcharge noted). Even better, we still had our last untouched drink order on the table with my neat and his rocks but my free glass of ice sitting there. Pouring my neat into the ice showed that the drinks were identical.

Instead of correcting the bill they (waitress and manager) lectured us that all bars charge more for "on the rocks". Hmmmmm... we are not that young and have never experienced this. Searching the net shows that there are other cases out there of bars charging like this but none as outrageous as Claddaugh and all answered with outrage. Some internet examples were $9 shot upcharged by $1 for rocks (ours was 8.50 upcharged to 13.00! and it was a bad small pour, too - we would have let that pass without the ridiculous upcharge). I have asked several other nice bars within a mile of Claddaugh since 2 days ago and none of them have even heard of the concept of charging for ice - not just saying that they do not do it but they have never even heard of it. Actually they seemed like they did not believe me that Claddaugh added 50% for "rocks".

The more important point: This place is patronizing and deceitful. We had a $50+ bill and were objecting to a 4.50 charge for ice. Rather than correcting it they argued with us and insisted that this is always how bars do this (are we still on earth, I am thinking???). When shown that the neat drink poured over ice was the same exact size as the rocks they said "your neat drink was overpoured - you received too much" - note: It was NOT a generous pour! Not that it should matter but we had ordered dinner, beer and drinks yet they chose to stick us (and fight about it) to make us pay for getting "on the rocks" (and they asked - "neat or on the rocks").

It is really sad that they try to gain a few extra dollars by sticking bad charges in their bills. I think it is beyond ignorant for their business. I was planning to go there again tomorrow night to see the live entertainment (McSpillin -Irish music) but getting ripped-off and treated badly trumps all. I cannot imagine ever going back again.

Visited December 2012

Livonia, Michigan
“Fish & Chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The fish and chips are excellent and so is the corned beef. I once took all my kids and grandkids there for dinner and we had a great time. We were given a private room. My son and his family were visiting from Hawaii and we all enjoyed the ambience and the food and libation.

Visited August 2012
Southgate, Michigan
“Only Once”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went here 5 years ago for an rehersal dinner and the food was great and could not wait to go back, but for some reason I haven't gone yet. Will have to go soon!

1 Thank Chelsea M
Livonia, Michigan
“Try the Sheppard's Pie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I like to walk the almost 2 miles from home to Claddaugh's for a little exercise before having a Boddington's and the Sheppard's Pie. They also put on a nice St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Visited August 2012
Plymouth, Mi.
“Ambiance and Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times now. Sometimes the food is exceptional, sometimes it's just good, especially considering the cost. It's not that it's overly priced, but throw in a couple glasses of wine and a beer, that's when you're paying for it. Not that you're not at most places. The service has always been good, exceptional at times. This last trip was no different. One thing that is for sure, the wait staff there does a great job. I asked for some info on my choice of beverage and she was spot on with it. The dish I chose was not a great choice considering it being Irish fare basically. So I have to cut them some slack on that one. It was good, just not great. I've had the fish and chips there a couple times and it was excellent.

• Visited September 2012