“Very comfortable”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
Chicago, Illinois
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Nice, clean and comfortable hotel - the beds are amazing...you won't want to get up and out of them in the morning. Good location adjacent to shopping and restaurants, and convenient to the expressway.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Guest ~ thank you kindly for providing a brief but thoughtful review of our hotel noting those features and characteristics that are specific to our hotel such as our comfortable mattress/bedding and clean environment. We greatly appreciate your insight into your stay especially as your comments relate to those features/services which fall within our role. We do continually review all guest comments whether through TripAdvisor and/or brand sites and will often make changes to meet guests needs even if over and above Marriott standards (its why we offer refridgerators and free wifi in ALL guestrooms). Thank you for your honest assessment.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The rooms were excellent, service was very professional. Very friendly staff. Very good value. Will stay here again. The Hotel Resturant serves a great Breakfast Buffett. Full Room Service Menu. Very spacious Bathroom/adjoining dressing area.

Room Tip: Rooms with Double Beds are a bit larger. All rooms have Mini Fridge
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Grand Rapids Guest ~ thank you kindly for taking the time to put your personal impression of our hotel and services on the TripAdvisor site. Your positive review is very generous and we greatly appreciate your thoughtful review. We rely greatly on respected sites like TripAdvisor to help us meet and exceed all our guests expectations and a personal perspective opens the door to helping us achieve this goal. Our aim is to always make our guests feel at home and important. Please know we greatly value your loyalty and support and hope to have the honor of serving as your host hotel when in the area.

Philadelphia
Reviewed August 9, 2014

In town for a wedding, front desk so rude to me mother ; they had no idea they were dealing with a family of a sophisticated traveler- call and verify your reservation / room preference - they honored not one detail of our reservation and we had to recheck in next morning for key reprogramming even after all their management performance errors! Nightmare - if you're having a wedding here put in all your contracts financial performance clauses and penalties - they overbooked wedding event areas for the same times -

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank RoadWarrior3Decades
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest;

I am saddened to learn you were not satisfied with your stay. In reserving group blocks, I want to assure you, as the Director of Sales, that we do NOT overbook group blocks. This would not be fair to our guests or our associates. In addition and relation, we do try to honor all guest room type requests but as noted on our site when booking and standard to the industry, room types are not guaranteed. Please know that we do greatly value your thoughts and as a team continue to strive to do better; your insight has been shared with our executive team.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2014

The staff is so nice, it's the design of the building and the guests that make it such a terrible place to stay. My husband and I booked here because there was rooms blocked for a wedding we were attending. So the location was convenient. It is connected to a really mediocre mall, but I guess that is ok too.

We had a room on the second floor. It was right above the atrium, so when people were partying at the bar downstairs it echoed up and into our room. It wasn't as bad when the AC was running, but still come on. After that the maid closed our hallway door to help drown out some of the noise, but then every time someone went to there room from 12am to 3 pm is shook the walls in the room. I kept going out and opening them. I saw the maid come and close them and explained that the slamming of the door was worse than the noise downstairs. I ended up having the trip refunded, but it was just ridiculous. Never stay in room 227. Its that bad that I even remember the room number!!!!

It maybe better on floors 5+, but make sure your not on the 1st 3 floors at all!!!!

Room Tip: stay on floors 5 and higher. The atrium is horribly loud
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Arica H
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Senior TripAdvisor Contributor;

Thank you for your fair assessment of our hotel, the Detroit Marriott Livonia. While although your review could be perceived as negative, it is important to note you were fair in your ranking (both service and location received a 5 of 5 stars, while value received a 2 of 5 stars). It is true, room 227 is in an awkward location and is always the last room we assign specifically because of the hall doors and overview of the guest lobby. We do have additional executive team on staff all weekend nights but in the case of your stay unfortunately we were not able to oversee this particular location of the hotel as often as we would have liked. I am pleased to hear our front desk team reacted properly in reimbursing your stay, as we did not provide you with a peaceful night stay. It is our hope that you know how very much we appreciate your honest review and hope you will consider giving us another try.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I traveled from Pittsburgh, PA to Livonia, MI for a dear friend's wedding (July 18-20th of 2014). I was in the wedding party, and they were offering group discounts for us to stay at the Detroit Marriott Livonia. I was emailed my total when I booked my stay earlier in the year. The total was $202 and some change. I had set aside money for the trip there (I am a college student, so I was nickel and diming everything). When my boyfriend and I arrived, and we checked in, they asked for my card and I gave it to them. The lady at the front desk told me my card was declined for $262. I told her the total I had received was $202. She rudely informed me of a SIXTY DOLLAR security deposit and said my card was declined and I needed another form of payment. I had to call my mother and she had to put it on to her credit card. Granted, the security deposit does get refunded in 3-5 days, but when I booked, I was not informed of it. I had set money in that specific account for this trip. After that fiasco, the woman also had me sign a waiver about their "No Party" policy. The policy stated if you are making excessive noise, you will get one warning. If you continue to be loud and obnoxious, you will be asked to leave (She also made a comment that it was important to us since we were visiting for a wedding, great way to discriminate, lady). Since we arrived the night before the wedding, my friend (the bride)'s husband had booked a suite room for her to stay in that night and for them to stay after the wedding. Myself and four other bridesmaids stayed with her in the room that night. When the bride took a shower that night, the bath tub was not draining, so we had to call maintenance. The woman from maintenance came up and unclogged the tub, and the whole room smelled of sewage for the rest of the night. When we went to sleep, there were people out in the hallway making noise. We gave them some time to calm down. Come midnight, they were still out in the hallway. The hallway reeked of booze, and they would not stop screaming. We politely asked them to be quiet and informed them we are in a wedding the next day and the bride needs her sleep. They continued to be loud and obnoxious. By 1 AM, we called security and they said they would take care of it. After the 1 AM call to security, they continued to be loud. We called security 3 TIMES AND visited the front desk. Needless to say, we had to be up at 7 AM for our hair appointments, and security didn't kick them out until 5 AM. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the way this was handled. They should have been ejected from the hotel after their first warning. A lot of the bride and groom's family stayed at the hotel and had nothing but issues with the staff. I will never stay at this hotel, let alone another Marriott, ever again. I had put in a complaint with their corporate line and all I received was an impersonal e-mail from the hotel manager apologizing that theirs, and my, standards were not met. I have never had such an awful customer service experience in my life.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for providing us with insight into your stay. As an industry standard all guest charges upon arrival include an upcharge (usually $30-$50 per day) to accommodate for potential amenities (room service, movies) and are then reversed if not consumed. I do apologize that when you made your reservation through Marriott's reservation center they did not inform you of this. Additionalloy it is important to note that we do not profile guests and only pass out Party Policies to wedding guests but pass out to ALL weekend guests. I think you will agree it is a fair policy, and one you could understand as the night of your stay progressed, as to why we have in place. What is unfortunate is that we did not react quickly enough. Please know we do greatly value your loyalty but more importantly your thoughts and opinions and have reviewed your response with our executive team who in turn have shared with their team members.

Washington DC
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying here with my family this past weekend, and was pleasantly surprised.

The Good:
- Very convenient location just off the highway, close to chain restaurants (from Red Robin across the street to multiple premium offerings nearby), adjacent to a mall, and with large chain retail stores less than 2 miles away (Costco, Target, Grocery Stores)
- The rooms were nice, and at the price-point I was able to secure from Marriott's web-site, a good value
- The service was solid, from the front-desk, to the housekeeping, to the server who brought us beverages at the breakfast buffet
- The breakfast buffet was a solid value, as we were able to get a rate which included it, and featured a nice selection of fresh fruit, cereals, hot items, and an Omelet and Waffle station
- The hotel offers WiFi (rooms & lobby) including in the price of the room, a pleasant, and much welcomed offering.

Less Good:
- Weekend Parking: The hotel was quite busy over the weekend (as was a bar, Bar Louie, in the immediately adjacent mall), and when we returned late from a Wedding we had attended, the parking lot adjacent to the front of the hotel did not have a space to be found. While I did eventually find parking behind the adjacent Courtyard by Marriott, and there is a parking garage for the mall behind the hotel, I didn't feel comfortable parking there for obvious reasons.
- Elevators: The hotel only had two elevators to get to the rooms, and on a busy weekend, you may be up for a bit of a wait.
- Rooms: While nice and a good value, I was surprised to hear that they were refreshed 1 1/2 yrs ago. Also, I could never quite get the heating/cooling just right in the room. If the thermostat was left in the preferred position per their instruction, the cooling/heating just continued, indifferent to the temp I had set.

All in all, at this price-point, a solid choice for families and solo travelers, that I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you have special needs (which we did), make sure to call Marriott's 800 customer service numb...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed assessment of your recent stay at our hotel, the Detroit Marriott Livonia. As a team we try to anticipate all our guests needs and realize the importance of providing good value. We are very appreciative that you highlighted value in your response and yet also made sure to include friendly service as a key factor. Often it is these two factors that greatly influence other perceptions and can leave a positive impression.

In gratitude,
Danielle Bastianelli
Director of Sales & Marketing.
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Livonia Marriott as a speaker at a company organized meeting. The local team made an excellent choice and after a 450 mile drive I was greeted and in my room in under 5 min! The king room was clean, cool and properly stocked with everything a traveler needs. I could not be happier as I AM HOME AGAIN! I look forward to seeing you again!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Icantdrive65
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Contributor:

On behalf of the staff of the Detroit Marriott Livonia, we thank you for your thoughtful review of our hotel. Having traveled quite a distance to get to the hotel I am so pleased to learn your check in experience was quick and efficient. It is often the smaller details such as a warm smile upon arrival, and/or personal recognition, as well as hitting all the basics (clean room, amenities that meet a travelers needs) that shows our guests that we are considering their needs and equally of importance ~ are grateful for their loyalty and support. Thank you for being a supportive guest!

Kindly,