“Nice property”

Detroit Marriott Livonia
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The rooms were standard size for a Marriott property. There was a fridge and a single cup coffee maker in the room. They didn't have the standard orange Bath & Body works amenities in the bathroom. I don't remember the brand but I did like them more.

Because we were there on the weekend the Executive Lounge wasn't open so we had breakfast in the restaurant and we also ate dinner there one evening. Their menu had a good selection and they were very attentive to my food allergies (gluten free & dairy free).

It's conveniently located right off of I275 and connected to a shopping mall. There are several restaurants nearby as well.

We didn't get the chance to check out the pool. We would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Senior Contributor to TripAdvisor;

We appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts into action and submit a review via TripAdvisor. As an independent review site it offers us as host hoteliers an avenue from which we can obtain one's true perspective regarding their recent stay, and we are thrilled to learn you were pleased when at the Detroit Marriott Livonia. Having just gone under a guestroom and lobby refresh, often this outward appearances can set the stage but details, such as a clean environment, close proximity to other venues, and an all inclusive menu offering accentuate one's stay. Ultimately service; being friendly, attentive repesent the "icing on the cake" and with 5 out of 5 marks in all categories, we are thrilled to hear we hit all marks. Please know we greatly value your thoughts and recommendations to improve, and hope to have the distinct honor of serving as your home away from home when in the area.

Kindest,
Danielle Bastianell

There are newer reviews for Detroit Marriott Livonia

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel was quite nice as I would expect out of any Marriott full-service hotel.
The room was clean and bed was quite comfortable, as well as the new Marriott bath products are very nice. The concierge lounge was nice and food was absolutely amazing (better then most lounges I've been to). It's location next to the mall and restaurants is perfect for any business traveler.
My only major complaint is the air system in the rooms. (or at least the room I was in). It was extremely loud whenever it kicked in and often woke me up when I was sleeping.
I do travel every week for work (130+ nights a year) and would recommend this hotel for the business traveler (as long as you don't get woken up by the air kicking in).

1  Thank abastara

Dear Vancouver Traveler;

Thank you for your thoughtful review of our hotel, the Detroit Marriott Livonia. As a seasoned business traveler who stays in hotels 130+ nights per year, your assessment is very much appreciated as you have had the opportunity to experience the best and the worst. We are thrilled to hear your found our accommodations to your liking and I will be sure to pass along your high marks to our Executive Chef, who prepares the evening concierge food daily from our assortment of locally grown and organic goods. Please know we greatly value your patronage, but more importantly your loyalty to Marriott and hope to have the pleasure of serving as your hotel partner once again.

In appreciation,
Director of Sales & Marketig

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I traveled here recently because of a friend at the St. Mary Mercy Hospital nearby. I spend about 150 nights in hotels a year, and this place, by far was the most confusing, for lack of a better term.

I made my reservation on the Marriott iPhone app on our way to the area on Friday night. Upon check-in, I was greeted by a surly lady who wasn't very friendly or helpful. We were handed our keys and sent on our way. I asked if the lounge was open on the weekends, because as a Marriott Gold member, we're entitled to either lounge access if it is open, or breakfast coupons if the lounge is closed on the weekends (as was the case). She sharply said, "Oh, you just made your reservation today...We don't have the coupons ready for you if you just made the reservation". She wrote out two vouchers for Sweet Lorraine's and handed them to us. As we were staying 2 nights, I inquired further, "Will we get more vouchers tomorrow?", because both vouchers were written to expire the next day. She continued, "Our policy changes all the time...I don't know what the current policy is, because I've been off for a few days. Ask tomorrow".

We received a room on the top floor, the 6th, which is also their concierge level. The room was a tad on the small side, but well appointed, the bed was comfortable, and it was nice to see bath care products different than the horrible-smelling Bath and Body Works citronella stuff that I'd become accustomed to.

The next morning, we couldn't see our friend in the hospital until the afternoon, so we waited in the room until around 11AM. Upon leaving the room at 11AM, we removed the 'Do Not Disturb' sign, and I mentioned to the front desk "We're getting a late start, can we have our room serviced, please" (to a much friendlier front desk worker)...We then proceeded to the hospital. We returned about 4PM to find our room still not cleaned, despite passing a housekeeper almost directly across from our room when we left and telling the front desk about it. We called down, and they apologized and sent a housekeeper up within 20 minutes.

We had decided that we would an extra night, so I made a separate reservation early Saturday on Marriott's website (using points). I called down to the front desk and told them that we would be extending our stay, gave them our confirmation number, and this very friendly clerk made all the arrangements so we wouldn't have to swap rooms. I also inquired about breakfast coupons based on the experience the night before, and this great clerk promptly wrote us out two more.

We were out late Saturday night at the hospital, then dinner, and didn't return until after midnight. Knowing our friend didn't want us to visit early, we once again slept in Sunday morning, and departed the hotel about noon. DND sign down again, and telling the clerk once again, "We're late leaving again, could you make sure housekeeping cleans our room?". The clerk assured us it would be.

You can guess what happened (or didn't happen) when we returned to the room...It was not cleaned. It was about 7PM, and we told the (once again friendly) front desk clerk that our room wasn't cleaned. I told her that we'd spoken with someone around noontime about this, and she checked a sheet and said, "Yeah, I see right here that you requested service...But sorry they missed you. Unfortunately, housekeeping is all gone for the night...I can send you up some towels."

A full-service Marriott should have at least 1 housekeeping person on duty 24/7...I was disappointed that they didn't, especially since our room was never cleaned the second night.

Upon checkout on Monday, the gentleman who checked us out was taken from the same stock as the surly gal who checked us in originally. It seemed as if it was a bother for him to print us a receipt.

So, some of the staff--great. Others, not what I expect at a Marriott.

On the plus side, the hotel restaurant, Sweet Lorraine's is pretty good! I avoided their limited breakfast buffet, but enjoyed my off-the-menu selection. We also had dinner there Sunday night late, and both my wife and I enjoyed our food. My wife has Celiac disease, so it was nice that they offered a gluten-free menu...Big plus for that!

We're coming back this weekend to the area, and I think we're going to stay at the Embassy Suites a few blocks away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MichWorldTraveler
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Mich World Traveler;

I am disappointed to learn of the lack of customer service you received. Having a well appointed guetroom is not nearly enough to win one's loyalty; it is equally important to provide superior service. Marriott International implemented a new stand up that as a team we review daily titled: Advancing the Art of Hosting which is focused on our Brand Founder's words "put people first", and you have provided a personal perspective that can help us to be better. Apologizing should be an expectation, and it is my hope that through this very public medium somehow I am able to extend our deepest apologies. Yet just apologing is not enough. As I say to my now adult children, with every apology must come an action - to not repeat bad behavior, to do better. I have shared your review with our entire executive management team, who in turn will couch cousel. I thank you, most sincerely, for bringing this to our attention so that we can create action steps to improve and be brilliant hosts to our deserving guests.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had a plan to take care of two issues with one visit. 1st Visit our daughter in college and 2nd get some R&R, along with shopping. The plain was to have 2 rooms with 2 beds in each room, one for my 2 daughters and one for me, my 6 year old nephew and my wife.
Problem One: Purchased rooms through Priceline.com; this did guarantee 2 rooms but because the hotel was full, we could not get any rooms with 2 beds, the only rooms available were the ones with a single bed.
Problem Two: One of our stay days was college football Saturday, therefore, there were many kids running down the hallways unsupervised and making a noise that you easily hear in your room.
Now for the good stuff: The rooms were clean and management did provide 2 roll away beds. This hotel is directly connected to a shopping Mall and various restaurants that allowed you to shop, eat and go to the movies without putting on a coat. The weather cold and wet the entire time and this was a good perk.

Room Tip: If you need 2 beds be sure to reserve a room with 2 beds. Also rooms does not have a microwave or r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Van for reviewing our hotel. It is difficult to guarantee room type in advance but we always try to do our best to accommodate. Fall is a busy time in the market as many travel annually for the University of Michigan football games creating high demand in the market. I am pleased to learn you felt the hotel was well maintained and clean; these are 2 important factors that with the support of excellent customer service can make for an enjoyable stay. We hope you know how much we appreciate your patronage, but more importantly your loyalty and hope to have the honor of serving as your hotel partner in the future.

Thank you once again!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a nice, full service hotel that could be great with just a few improvements to the customer service level provided by the front desk and restaurant staff. Although I have Platinum status with Marriott rewards, I was not given a room on the Concierge floor nor was I given any type of upgrade so that was a little disappointing. My room was nice and had lots of windows which I liked. The sitting chair appeared to be new and the color scheme of the decor was nice. There was coffee and tea in the room and a small refrigerator. I stopped into the Concierge lounge and picked up some bottled water around 8:30pm and they had some nice desserts available. I ordered room service for dinner and the only thing that was not so great was the stainless steel plate cover which appeared not to be as clean as it should have been. The food quality was good. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets were really nice! The problem was that when I got out of the shower and reached for one of the clean bath towels, I opened the towel to find blood on it! I called the front desk to report the problem and the man who answered did not seem too concerned. He did not offer any discount or anything for my experience. I then asked him until what time was the breakfast buffet served and he said until 10:30am so I planned my time accordingly. When I arrived to the buffet at 10:04am, I was informed by the waitress that the buffet was closed. When I explained that the front desk had told me it ran until 10:30am she said that they continually get it wrong and she was sorry and that I could make a quick trip through what was left out. I felt rushed and unhappy with the misinformation. This is a nice hotel but they need to improve in housekeeping and guest service.

Dear Top Trip Advisor Contributor;

Having reviewed many hotels across 53 cities, I am confident that you have seen the best and the worst in terms of your hotel experience, and I find your review to be fair and honest. Thank you for bringing the problem of miscommunicating the end time of our buffet to our attention, I have to admit to not being aware that there was this problem but will be sure to resolve immediately with proper outlet service hours posted behind the front desk. The shame was that we had a great opportunity to "wow" you as you seemed pleased with the accommodations. Please know we recognize how very important the "details" are in ensuring a "great" experience and for that you have helped us do better. Thank you once again for your candid review. It is my hope you will afford us the opportunity to do better and impress when you are next in the area.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I am here now. Concierge breakfast is nice and complete. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Property is nice and check in was quick and easy.

Only reason for four stars- Marriott is trying out a new soap and shampoo which I used last week at a property in North Carolina. It is supposed to have a sandalwood fragrance, but more closely smells like a sweatshirt, and the fragrance lingers. Knowing that Marriott reads these posts is my sole reason for one single comment about an otherwise excellent property that I have used before over the years.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you kindly for noting your thoughts regarding Marriott's new bath soaps ~ Marriott does greatly value all customer comments. More importantl, thank you for your continued loyalty to our property, the Detroit Marriott Livonia. We do appreciate you consistent support.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Marriott hotel on a recent visit to Michigan. The hotel was very nice, and conveniently located near I-275. The staff were especially friendly and pleasant. I had two meals and a buffet breakfast at the hotel restaurant, and all were very good. Free wi-fi is available in the lobby. My room was quiet, clean and comfortable. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Columbia Trekker:

On behalf of the staff of the Detroit Marriott Livonia, thank you for taking the time to note your thoughts regarding our service and amenities. Marriott kicked off a new internal campaign called The Art of Hosting and we continually strive to be Brilliant Hosts. I am pleased to hear you felt our staff to be pleasant and friendly as this is key to ensuring a brilliant stay. Please know we greatly value your patronage but more importantly your thoughts regarding your stay. We would be honored to be your host hotel when in the area.