“Delicious, noisy, expensive”

J Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 278 Restaurants in Livonia
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I was here recently with family members. We received a very friendly welcome from the staff. The dining area is vaulted and open, and quite noisy. The liveliness of it was appealing, but it was sometimes difficult to carry on a conversation, so this may not be for all tastes. The menu is varied and has many appealing choices. By Livonia standards it is quite expensive, however, with many entrees approaching $30, so be prepared. Food was delicious- I loved my crab cakes which came, as do many other dishes, with wonderful shoestring fries which arrived at the table piping not. I also enjoyed my enormous blackberry martini, which came with a generous refill flask floating in a container of office, essentially a generous double cocktail. The food came to the table quickly, so much so that they forgot the artichoke appetizer we had ordered. When we pointed this out, a free serving of key lime pie arrived for all of us to share. It was so big that one piece was literally enough to share with five people!

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I love this restaurant. It never disappoints. The best juicy burgers and shoestring fries. And the chocolate cake is to die for!

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We enjoyed a lovely meal at J. Alexanders last evening with family from out of state. As this is a very popular restaurant in our area, we called ahead for reservations .When we arrived we were pleased to see that the restaurant was half full probably due to the early hour and the fact that it was the Monday after Thanksgiving. We were able to spend extra time visiting and enjoyed listening to the mix of holiday music and jazz before the restaurant became crowded. Our waitress was knowledgeable of the menu and several of us took her recommendations and were pleased with the sections. J. Alexanders specialty is prime rib/steaks as well as seafood. My prime rib was excellent ...served as requested One could feast with their eyes before enjoying a bite-full as the meal is plated so beautifully. My only negative comment was that my side dish (potatoes ) were served a bit tepid. When I brought it to the attention of the waitress she corrected it immediately. We have eaten at J. Alexanders many times and this was a rare event. We ordered several desserts to share as a group as they are so Delicious: warm carrot cake, chocolate cake, key lime pie and a scrumptious pumpkin pie with gingerbread crust. I would recommend J. Alexanders for anyone interested in having a fine meal. Prices are in the $$$ range but servings are large and the food excellent.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is my favorite restaurant hands down. Service is outstanding, food is delicious, and reasonable pricing. I would rather go here and spend $11 on a grilled chicken sandwich and have a pleasant dining experience, than an Applebee's and spend $9 on a horrible trip. Only a few dollars more than most casual dining choices, but a world away in food and service quality.

1  Thank jeannedd
Reviewed September 12, 2011

J Alexander's comes across like a locally owned restaurant: well-trained staffers, freshly prepared foods made on the premises, and creative offerings. J Alexanders offers salads, a wide variety of sandwiches, and hearty prime rib, fish, and chicken dishes. My french dip was pricey, but beautifully cooked medium rare with tasty, thin cut fries. Salads are generous and fresh tasting. The veggie burger is house-made: not to my taste, but others seem to like it (though the accompanying fries could have been a different, healthier dish). Wines are very good, but also a bit expensive. The interior is a bit dark, but many like the clubby feel. We like this place for special occasions, but you can also find moderately priced items for a casual night out.

Been to J Alexander's Restaurant? Share your experiences!