“Small Place, Good Taste” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Allen Park, Michigan
“Small Place, Good Taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food is very tasty & better than the chain restaurants. Service is fast even during lunch time..

Visited November 2013

Livonia, Michigan
“I don't know if it is "authentic", but it sure is good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

One of the other reviewers knocked this place as not being "authentic" Mexican food. I cannot speak to that, as I am not Hispanic and I never lived in Texas. What I CAN say is that the food here is delicious. I HAVE been to other Mexican restaurants, and I would rather go here than most of the others. The atmosphere is not authentic Mexican, either, or anything else, for that matter.

The emphasis here is on the food. Service is good, but you do not go to a restaurant for service. You go to eat great food.

We were told that the #3 combo is their most popular. It consists of a taco, burrito and rice and beans. Everything was very good. The tortilla chips that were brought to the table had a great consistency, but needed salt.

I tried to go back for another lunch, here, but the place was so packed with people, I could not even get into the parking lot. We will definitely make another effort, though, because the food was worth it.

James

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank attyjpf
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
“Unexpected Little Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Without Trip Advisor I would not have found, or tried this place. Very small, but very busy and the food was very, very good Mexican food. They also serve alcohol which was a nice surprise. This was some of the best Mexican food I have ever had. We went on a Friday night around 5:30. The place was already full, but within half an hour they had a waiting list. They also do a brisk take-out business. Well worth looking for. Thank you Trip Advisor, this was a great choice.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MItraveler1957
Livonia, Michigan
“Great Mexican Food in Livonia.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am from downriver, so I grew up eating Taco Especial, Mexico Way, and my favorite Mexican Garden. However, seven years ago I moved to Livonia and discovered Old Mexico and fell in love with their chunky beef burritos. I take the kids there all the time and until today have never had a meal we didn't love. The waitstaff here is brutal most of the time, although there are one or two waitresses that do a good job. But, the food is definitely worth it. The prices are very reasonable. The place is kind of small, so they do fill up quickly. The earlier you get there the better. I highly recommend this place. It is my favorite Mexican restaurant in Livonia.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BridjetT
Redford, MI
“Great Prices. Great Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had been to Old Mexico once before, but couldn't really remember what it was like. A group of friends decided to go up there and give it another try. Boy, am I glad we did! We were all very pleased with our meals. I got tacos (beef and chicken). I must say that the chicken taco was probably the BEST chicken taco I have EVER had!! Amazing. The beef taco was also good. The chips and salsa are excellent as well. We ordered the Ranchero Queso Dip to go with the chips and it was delicious as well. We will definitely make this a stop in the future! The only downfall (if you want to even call it that) is that the restaurant is just a tad small, so it can tend to get loud. Also, there are quite a few tables crammed in, however, the way they have them arranged doesn't really make it feel like you're crammed in there. But, you can hear (very well) what is going on at other tables, though it could have just been the woman next to us...

Above and beyond the size of the restaurant the food along makes it worth coming back here!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Leetlestar

Been to Old Mexico Restaurant? Share your experiences!