“One big disappointment.”

Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“One big disappointment.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Started out optimistic, great reviews etc. Called hours earlier asked if we could reserve a table for 4 at a specific time. Was told that the establishment does not do reservations. Turned up at specified time and was told 30-45 minute wait. No biggie. Was seated at our table to find the adjacent table had a reserved sign sitting on it. About an hour later a couple were seated at that table. 0 out of 1.

Appetizers were well made. 1 out of 1. Ordered seared duck with red potatoes and vegetables for entree. 6 bite sized duck medallions that filled 10% of the plate, red potatoes were basically country style chopped and overcooked/dry/close to room temp took up 45% of the plate and the veggies took up the remaining 45% of the plate (abundance of overcooked corn with a few slivers of carrot - nothing green whatsoever). Menu should've read Country style red potatoes with corn and a few carrot slices cause that's the bulk of it. Way overpriced @15 for the quality of food delivered. Would have been happier with far less potato and corn with the same minute amount of duck on the plate. Black peppercorn sauce was simple and didn't compliment the flavors of the duck. The sauce would've been perfect with breakfast sausages or country ham.
Dublin chicken was a better plate but have had better chicken from those coney hot dog establishments. Spinach was minute but well prepared, mash was also well prepared. Chicken could have been prepared better for the price of the dish @15.
Shepherds pie was well below par considering this is an Irish pub. If you're looking for bland and ordinary, this is the one for you. Again way overpriced @14. 0 out of 2.

Wait staff was friendly. Forgot a couple of requests but the place was pretty busy. 1 out of 1. If it weren't for the Andrew the wait staff, this establishment would've been rated 1 out of 5 or terrible.

They had a decent musician, way too loud for the restaurant, would have been fine if it were just a bar with dancing etc. Had to basically shout to have others at the table hear you (and we were on the other side of the room from the speaker.

Recommend this place for typical bar food (fish and chips, dips etc). Can not give recommendation on the beer/ale on tap as none was consumed.

• Visited January 2013

Midland, Michigan
“decent food and beer but fraudulent pricing and inept customer service”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food is adequate and the beer selection is good. If you stick to the beer on special and lower-priced food you will do fine as I did for 6-8 visits. When we decided to order Irish whiskeys then the bad started. Quite as you would expect when ordering a whiskey the waitress asked if we wanted neat or on the rocks. I ordered neat but with a side glass of ice - my buddy ordered his on the rocks. When our bill came we found that for each of his drinks we were charged an extra $4.25 for "the rocks". Huh????? They claimed that "on the rocks" was more alcohol so they charged more but the menu price said nothing like that (prices were listed with the drinks and no upcharge noted). Even better, we still had our last untouched drink order on the table with my neat and his rocks but my free glass of ice sitting there. Pouring my neat into the ice showed that the drinks were identical.

Instead of correcting the bill they (waitress and manager) lectured us that all bars charge more for "on the rocks". Hmmmmm... we are not that young and have never experienced this. Searching the net shows that there are other cases out there of bars charging like this but none as outrageous as Claddaugh and all answered with outrage. Some internet examples were $9 shot upcharged by $1 for rocks (ours was 8.50 upcharged to 13.00! and it was a bad small pour, too - we would have let that pass without the ridiculous upcharge). I have asked several other nice bars within a mile of Claddaugh since 2 days ago and none of them have even heard of the concept of charging for ice - not just saying that they do not do it but they have never even heard of it. Actually they seemed like they did not believe me that Claddaugh added 50% for "rocks".

The more important point: This place is patronizing and deceitful. We had a $50+ bill and were objecting to a 4.50 charge for ice. Rather than correcting it they argued with us and insisted that this is always how bars do this (are we still on earth, I am thinking???). When shown that the neat drink poured over ice was the same exact size as the rocks they said "your neat drink was overpoured - you received too much" - note: It was NOT a generous pour! Not that it should matter but we had ordered dinner, beer and drinks yet they chose to stick us (and fight about it) to make us pay for getting "on the rocks" (and they asked - "neat or on the rocks").

It is really sad that they try to gain a few extra dollars by sticking bad charges in their bills. I think it is beyond ignorant for their business. I was planning to go there again tomorrow night to see the live entertainment (McSpillin -Irish music) but getting ripped-off and treated badly trumps all. I cannot imagine ever going back again.

Visited December 2012
Livonia, Michigan
“Fish & Chips”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The fish and chips are excellent and so is the corned beef. I once took all my kids and grandkids there for dinner and we had a great time. We were given a private room. My son and his family were visiting from Hawaii and we all enjoyed the ambience and the food and libation.

Visited August 2012
Southgate, Michigan
“Only Once”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went here 5 years ago for an rehersal dinner and the food was great and could not wait to go back, but for some reason I haven't gone yet. Will have to go soon!

1 Thank Chelsea M
Livonia, Michigan
“Try the Sheppard's Pie!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I like to walk the almost 2 miles from home to Claddaugh's for a little exercise before having a Boddington's and the Sheppard's Pie. They also put on a nice St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Visited August 2012

Been to Claddagh Irish Pub? Share your experiences!