“The Earth moved for me”

Royal Choice Collection Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lincoln Park
Reviewed April 26, 2008

The room was clean, the lobby welcoming, the staff helpful, and the breakfast buffet was great: waffles, cereal, sausage, eggs, toast, OJ, bagels, fruit. Almost everything you could want in a hotel.

But, as the realtors say: "Location, location, location!" My room on the east side was only 60 feet from an active freight train line that got used at least twice per night. And I don't mean Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends here - I'm talking heavy, clanking, mile long freight trains with horns that can be heard in Canada. The ground (and building) shakes. I stayed for 5 nights and got to know the schedule really well: 9:30 -10 pm, 12:30 - 1:00 am, 6-6:30 am. And it's not just the rumbling that wakes you. Conveniently located at the north end of the hotel parking lot is an at ground level, ungated railroad crossing. (See photo) That means the trains must blow their whistles as they approach. After a double shot of the train whistle, the rumbling is quiet by comparison.

I would only recommend the Sleep Inn if you are an extremely sound sleeper and are not frightened by things that go bump in the night - or if you are staying one night and get a good deal. But, at full prices, this is not a reasonable choice.

The hotel is conveniently located next to I-75 so it is just a quick trip to Cobo Hall. There are plenty of restaurants and a Krogers nearby if you need a midnight snack .

Lupin

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Lupinsan

Reviewed August 9, 2007

The previous reviewer who mentioned Aaron, the front desk clerk, was absolutely right. He's a really nice guy who's working for a bummer of a hotel. Yeah, it was cheaper than most everything else around, but we had a freight train outside our window, a VERY noisy spot in the hotel (I heard conversations in the hall at about 7:00 a.m.), the pool was being painted (a huge disappointment to my kids) and the breakfast area was barely navigable with all the people in it, and not an empty seat in the whole room! The sausage was ice cold. (To be fair, I didn't expect sausage at the "continental" breakfast, so I guess it was a wash.) The bathroom floor was dirty in our room, too. (And if you can SEE the dirt, what are you NOT seeing?) It wasn't the very worst hotel we've seen, but we probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kjensky
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I stayed at this hotel and arrived quite late. I was greeted by a gentleman named Aaron at the front desk. He was quite polite and assisted me with figuring out my plans to Henry Ford Museum that day. This hotel was small, but it was nice, and I've never had such a good experience with front desk clerk. Just goes to show you that the small hotels still have the personal touch. Thank you Aaron. You made my stay wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank ridor110
Reviewed June 14, 2007

good hotel for the price, nice rooms low price

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2007

Our truck was stolen during our stay, customer service rep was very rude and unhelpful wouldn't even call police for us mind you she was standing @ the desk with numerous phones. A housekeeper stepped in and assisted us thank god. We have 2 children under 4, were from out of town(200 miles) and thought we were safe since we were not staying in Detroit ha! We we informed that the security cameras are no good basically decoys. The management was very helpful and kind he did give us a free night ty, I would recommend this establishment hire new desk(customer service reps) to help to improve service to their customers. Over all terrible expierence would not recommend unless you are using a taxi service.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for the Super Bowl, and it was HORRENDOUS. We reserved a suite room, expecting a "suite" room... a main living room area with a queen-sized pull-out couch and a separate bedroom with a King-sized bed. That is what was promised us, and what we got was one tiny room with NO separate bedroom! Their idea of a "separate bedroom" was a tiny little wall divider! And besides, the pull-out couch that was supposed to be a "queen size" was merely a twin bed! We had to special order another rollaway twin bed just so all of us could sleep comfortably! The hot water was SCALDING hot and could have given us all 3rd degree burns, and the front desk staff was rude! We were paying $300 per night for this dump, and they wouldn't even deliver fresh towels to our room! The rude front desk woman made my brother go all the way downstairs to get his OWN towels! Unbelievable. Do not stay at this hotel when you are in Detroit... you will be very disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank tracitrace

Been to Royal Choice Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!