“Lakeview Hills Golf Resort - an amazing discovery!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
Lakeview Hills Golf Resort
Ranked #9 of 9 Lexington B&B and Inns
Windsor, Ontario
“Lakeview Hills Golf Resort - an amazing discovery!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Lakeview Hills Golf Resort from Thursday, August 1st through to Sunday, August 4th. We found the resort online, researching golf resorts nearby to our home in Windsor, Ontario, and stumbled across Lakeview Hills. This is serendipity at its finest!

We arrived late Thursday afternoon, and we were welcomed at the front desk by Sue, who described where we were staying, and explained the package meals and golf policy. She was wonderfully friendly and set the tone for our entire experience.

One of the many things we really like about Lakeview Hills is their handling of our golf clubs. We dropped them off at the clubhouse when we arrived on Thursday afternoon – they were loaded onto what was to be our cart for the entire stay. They’re locked in a secured facility at night, and then were brought around and waiting for us when we arrived to play each round – so convenient!

We walked next door to the small building we would call home for the next few days. It’s a bit of a “motel” style front, with a small porch facing the road, and two chairs outside the door. We were in what was described to us when booking as a one bedroom suite.

Walking in, there’s a living room, dining area with a tall table and four bar-stool type chairs. The living room has a couch, a really comfy arm chair, tables and a nice flat screen TV on the wall. There’s a tiny “kitchenette” area with a small sink, coffee maker and bar fridge.

The bathroom is also quite small, but perfectly functional and the bedroom, while also compact, had everything we needed. Except, as I started to unpack – no hangers! I called over to the front desk and Sue was at our door within minutes with a collection of hangers. She apologized – unnecessarily – it was pretty clear that someone had absconded with their hangers!

The building we stayed in was clearly an older part of the facility. Next door was a really modern condo-type building, four floors, with balconies and very new looking. Although ours was obviously a more “mature” building – we had absolutely no complaints. The rooms were spotlessly clean, the furniture was clean and comfortable, and the updates that had been done (light fixtures, tables, bedroom furniture) were of very high quality. Other than a little road noise, the room was perfect for our needs.

(As a side note, I would like to commend Lakeview Hills on one other thing. I am a confirmed – and incurable – arachnophobic. I was SO happy to see that great care was taken all around the building – there was not ONE spider to be seen, and no webs anywhere. Not an easy task in an area that’s both near the lake and very rural. Thank you for that!!)

We finished unpacking and then headed over to the main building for dinner. Our waitress – Linda – who we saw at dinner and breakfast almost every day – was very welcoming and so friendly – this was a trend we saw repeated everywhere we went at Lakeview Hills. It was a little funny that we were the only ones in the dining room (we had early dinner reservations for 5:30 every night), but more diners came in a little later.

There was a special “package” menu at both dinner and breakfast – with lots to choose from at each. I started with a Caesar salad, and Rob had the beef barley soup. Both were excellent – a good sign! Rob had the special that night – a half slab of ribs, which he said were really good. I had the perch – which was pan-fried and served with basmati rice and broccolini. The perch had just a light glaze of a really nice sauce – it was delicious. I had a frosty-cold Sam Adams summer ale, and my designated driver had his usual Diet Coke. Linda stopped by to see we were doing okay and to refill Rob’s drink. And, there were also the most delicious fresh, warm rolls served with dinner each night, with a light, lemony-garlic whipped butter. Yum.

After dinner, we headed into town to check the place out, pick up some adult beverages and some water. (This, by the way, was the ONLY thing we utterly could not adapt to – the taste of the tap water. It was very metallic in taste and smell.) So, we drank bottled water – not a deal breaker by any means!

Friday we were up early and headed over for our breakfast. We were greeted with smiles by staff anywhere we encountered them – so friendly. Breakfast had 4 or 5 choices, from the basic eggs/meat/potatoes/toast to an omelet or pancakes. The coffee was excellent – and our server – Linda again! – was so nice, and kept our coffee cups filled.

On to our first round of golf. We played the North course on Friday. Our cart was ready and waiting for us, with our clubs on the back. We drove through the tunnel to the other side of Peck Road and as we were apparently the only golfers – away we went! The course is beautiful, rolling hills, some water, some sand and some very tight fairways. It’s challenging but fun and so interesting. Not too hard, but not too easy either – and in absolutely perfect condition. Nice to play to greens that hold! We’re not sure if that’s due to the mass quantities of rain this summer, or if that’s usual for Lakeview Hills, but it was nice to be able to hit at the greens.

Probably the most fun part was meeting Leon – he’s the starter/ranger and he was a wonderful asset all through our round. He asked on the first hole whether we had ever played the course, and when we confessed it was our first round, he gave us SO much really good advice. It’s often a bit frustrating to play a course for the first time, and the small diagrams on the scorecard are a bit difficult to decipher, so Leon was a gold mine of helpful information. He was particularly helpful regarding the very interesting 16th hole – he actually suggested that as there was no-one behind us, that we drive ahead off of 15 and check out the hole in advance. I’m glad we did! It’s a great layout and demands smart play. Great hole! We really appreciated Leon’s help and his great good humour. He came by to check on us several times, and to chat about golf and life a little. Leon is a sweetheart! He even agreed to be our photographer on the last hole!

Friday afternoon we went into town and spend an enjoyable hour or so at the micro-brewery with a flight of their beers. What a great place and a wonderful concept – really nice beers and again, a welcoming, friendly staff. We spent some time chatting with a young girl (sorry, I wish I knew her name), who was so informative about the town and about the upcoming art fair. And, she was a HUGE fan of the chef at Lakeview Hills. (I’m happy to say I’ve joined that club!)

Lexington has several really nice little shops and I know there were more we didn’t hit (next time!). For dinner that night, we both had the soup special – Buffalo Chicken – which I would classify as one of the tastiest soups I’ve ever had – a little spicy, so much flavour. I loved the subtle “salute” to classic Buffalo Chicken with the carrots and celery cut into little matchstick shapes similar to those you usually have to dip into your blue cheese. (And, there was a hint of blue cheese in the soup too!) I had the cedar plank salmon, and Rob had the all-you-can-eat perch. The salmon was served with a lovely balsamic glaze, with brocollini and I substituted the basmati rice. The dish arrived with the salmon on the cedar, garnished with a beautiful orchid. It was perfectly cooked and aromatic with cedar. The perch was deep fried, and the first serving was enough that Rob didn’t need to take advantage of the AYCE option! As we ate, we watched rolling dark clouds approaching. We dashed back “home” just before the rain, and spent a quiet evening watching TV as the rain poured outside.

Saturday was basically a repeat of the day before – we played the South course, and met another lovely gentleman who was our starter for the day. I must apologize – I have forgotten his name, but he had a history working in a fine men’s shop in Detroit! Leon also stopped by during the round – just to see how we were enjoying the course. The South course is not as challenging as the North, but was also in pristine condition and set on very rolling hills. The back nine is more difficult than the front, and overall it’s a lovely course and we enjoyed playing it very much.

We spent Saturday afternoon at the Lexington Fine Arts Street Fair, which we were happy to discover was the same weekend we planned to visit! The Fair was fun, there was a great variety of vendors – a lot of interesting and beautiful art and design. Very crowded, it’s obviously a popular event in the area! I picked up a couple little things and we just enjoyed the people watching and the amazing array of products. Dinner that night was soup starter for both (tomato basil was so good!), and steak for both Rob and I – I had the special, a sirloin which was served with a delicious gorgonzola sauce and Rob had the filet. Both were cooked perfectly and very tasty. We headed back to pack up for departure the next day.

Sue actually served our breakfast Sunday morning – apparently she’s the “Sue of All Trades!” We played one more round on Sunday morning at the North course. It was just as much fun as the first round, but we were so much better informed, thanks to Leon’s help!

In conclusion to this REALLY long review – we loved the Lakeview Hills Golf Resort. The weather was absolutely picture-perfect, the golf was wonderful, the room was clean and quiet. More than anything else, the people of Lakeview Hills made this a delightful discovery. It’s only 90 minutes from home, and felt like home from the moment we arrived. Thank you Sue, Linda, Leon, the incredible chef and everyone on the team – Lakeview Hills is a place we plan to visit as often as we can – you made it the perfect weekend!

Room Tip: The small motel-style room is older, but a great value.