“CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION!!!! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garland Lodge & Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Traverse City
“CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION!!!! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Don't even think about staying here! I can't believe the lack of customer service and intelligence at this place. If you're going to charge someone $167 per night in the off season you'd better be willing to deliver. Not only did they not provide the room promised their attitude was less than accommodating. In my opinion everyone at the front desk should be fired. Better yet, management should be fired as this kind of attitude starts at the top.

We were witness to many other unhappy people trying to check-in. One of them was a property owner, who after 1/2 hour of standing and waiting to get a key to her condo finally blew up.

In the dining room the only thing that you can count on is getting to pay premium prices for average food. The BBQ ribs were obviously cooked days or weeks before and put into a steamer or microwave when we ordered. The Wild Mushroom Chicken Pasta......don't expect any wild mushrooms.

Want to lounge in the indoor pool? Forget it. I is an 8' wide lap pool. Planning on the hot tub instead? Forget it. It is a small tub in a tiny enclosed room with no view or atmosphere. My hot tub at home is bigger.

The only thing that I can see going for this place is that it has a beautiful log cabin lodge and very nice public areas. The rooms look like they were decorated by your great grandmother. I have to admit that I'm an interior designer but don't quite get the floral, Victorian patterns in a Northern Michigan deep woods lodge setting.

Overall, don't waste your money here. Golf if you want. We didn't do that. Hopefully it is better than the lodge. Stay somewhere else. If you stay at the Garland....don't get your hopes up.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank designguy69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

A little background first. We are in our 40's and travel a lot. I worked at a resort for many years and understand how things "should" go. That being said, I usually give those that work at resorts more understanding and patience than the average person.

I booked a romantic weekend getaway at Garland Resort for this weekend, arriving on Friday night and staying through Sunday morning. We had been given a $500 gift certificate for this weekend. It is now Saturday night and we are home, leaving our reservation early and forfeiting the rest of our weekend.

I made the reservation a couple of months ahead of time for a King room like I always do because I am tall big guy and need the space. I called earlier this week and confirmed our King room reservation with Pat in reservations and was told we were all set.

We arrived around 6pm on Friday to check in. Upon pulling in to the resort we were thrilled with the grounds and the striking lodge before us and were very excited about our weekend to come. Then reality. The 2 people at the desk were, in a word, inept. The guy who was checking me in stumbled for a long time trying to figure out how to operate the computer and the lady kept coming over and trying to help him. Finally he said that he just did not know how to do anything and walked away! The lady, Lesandra, came over and finished checking me in. We were assigned a room in the south lodge, 121, and off we went. When we walked in.... low and behold, two double beds! I called the desk and got the guy who had walked away from me who now said he was not sure that they could move me and he would call right back. 20 minutes later, I walked to the front desk to see what was going on. He acted like I had never called and Lesandra ended up spending about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to move us to a King room like I had reserved. She finally looked up and said that she could not figure out how to move me to a King room, that the computer would not let her. I asked her to please call for help. She picked up the phone and after a couple of attempted calls said that nobody was available to help so we had to stay where we were. I told her that would not work. I told her we had dinner reservations to go to and to please figure it out and come and get us in the dining room and she said she would. Well, that never happened. We had a nice dinner and were very tired. When walking past the desk on the way back to our room there was a line at the desk so we just gave in. We had a very uncomfortable night in a bed way too small. Furthermore, the room was in bad need of attention and updating (it did NOT match the public areas which are gorgeous!). The bathroom fixtures were brass coated and about 10 years past the need of replacement as they were disgustingly corroded. The shower head was a black mold glob. The TV was a small 19" from the 1980's and the old bedspreads with roses all over them had seen much better days.

We went out exploring for the day and went back to the lodge, hoping that customer service had kicked in and that we would have some sort of message from the front desk. No such luck. After a very unpleasant experience in the dining room for dinner (they seated us in the center of a large group of traveling Corvette owners who set up their slide show screen next to our table), we cut our meal short and decided we would be having a much better time at home. I went to check out and Lesandra was there again, and did not care a bit. Her and another lady were more concerned about letting me know that I would not be able to get any part of the $500 gift certificate returned! I told them that I did not care as I would never return anyway, and asked them if they even cared that we were leaving early. They did not, but I wanted to tell them anyway. I reminded her that I had made a reservation for a King room and that she was supposed to work on getting us moved in to one while we were in dinner last night. Their response was that they were completely sold out. That was a lie, as the place was deserted for the most part and the parking lot had few cars in it. Even if the main lodge had been sold out, they should have moved us to a condo. The first rule in running a resort is to make the customer happy to the best of your ability, ESPECIALLY if you made a mistake!

I struggle with wether to tell the person who so graciously gave us the gift certificate to use about our horrible experience. I have no problem telling any readers of TripAdvisor to stay away from this resort if you care about customer service and good maintenance of rooms.

5 Thank Joe M
Valparaiso, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

I am going to write a detailed review as I just recently had my wedding there. First off I was assigned Louann as a wedding coordinator who was amazing and very good at getting back to me about all my questions until she stopped returning emails all of a sudden. After a month of not returning my emails or my calls, my (now) father in law called up there for an explanation. It turns out that Louann was let go from Garland and no one ever decided to call and tell me. I was hot! This was about 2 months before the wedding date and they had just let all my paperwork slip through the cracks. I finally got ahold of Aaron who is their wedding coordinator currently and let him know how I felt. Aaron was apologetic and as I dont blame him because it wasnt his fault, he tried to jump right on board with the whole process. However thats when the next problems happened. My rate for my rooms for guests was $117 a night (which isnt bad for a resort) but then I started getting these emails about fall room rate specials for $69 dollars and my guests were MAD! I tried to ask aaron about it and he explained it was just a one time thing and only a couple rooms were that price. So I dismissed it until I got more emails from the smart marketing department and then I got really upset. I told Aaron that he needed to correct it right away- he did get back to me soon and took care of the whole affair. Now onto the actual ceremony. The site is GORGEOUS! We had it outdoors behind the hotel and it was amazing :) The reception site however was SMALL. We were in the Great room and I recommend if you have more than 80 people total, DO NOT USE that room! It was lovely but WAY too small... Aaron and his partner Julie were wonderful and fun to work with and they really helped coordinate up until the reception, then I have no idea where they dissapeared to. Also at the end of the night they literally told us to GET OUT about 2 minutes before we had to leave and we had to clean up the WHOLE reception hall right then and there instead of waiting until the next morning and doing it then. That was kind of a nuisance but I had plenty of help. All in all Garland is beautiful but watch out for the bull that these bigger resorts can have. If you get the pleasure of working with Aaron or Julie, they will do a great job in their capacity but are sometimes limited by upper management decisions Im sure.

I hope this helps everyone thinking about their future! :) Fall weddings are the best!

2 Thank andiscott100110
Southgate, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

Garland has some great things going for it. Our room was a villa which was outstanding except for a 19" Magnavox t.v. sitting on top of the dresser. The resort was beautiful, and the food was excellent. The layout of the resort is not well thought out. The villas are quite a walk from the parking lot so you had to roll your luggage across a broken up black top walk way. No baggage service was offered. The jacuzzi jets were so weak I thought it was broken, and was told that's how it is. My wife, who doesn't golf had absolutely nothing to do except go for a walk, and the resort isn't that big. The golf was great but just on par with the other top Michigan resorts I've played, maybe even a little less. My personal opinion is to stay elsewhere, and golf the property.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Howell, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

We were married (outdoors!) at Garland in February. I cannot begin to say enough nice things about our experience. John and Luann were BEYOND fabulous. We had a group of 35, had our ceremony on the patio at Herman's, took a sleigh ride afterward and then enjoyed an unbelievable dinner in the Great Room. It was, literally, a fairy tale and was more than I could have hoped. We joked that all you had to do was start a sentence with "Do you think we could . . . " and John and Luann would answer "Sure!" no matter what came after. They are in the middle of remodeling the whole facility and based on what they've done so far they are on track to be the most beautiful resort in the entire state.

I would highly, highly recommend Garland Resort to anyone who wants an elegant wedding with a "north country" feel.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank Newelly
Burton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

We stayed at Garland over Valentines day weekend. So many things to do there. You won't get bored. Our favorite thing we did was the ice skating. They smooth the ice, have a bon fire, and at night, light tiki torches. We stayed in the lodge and loved our room. On the down side though was the gourmet glide. Soooo disappointed with the food. I guess you pay the $60 for the beer and wine. My advice, if you don't drink, don't waste your money. Also, for the room price, I expected plush mattresses and fluffy pillows; mattresses were older, and pillows were flat. I hate flat pillows! All in all though, we had a great time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank lissajon
Rochester, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

We stayed in the "Red Pine Villas," which I'm not sure are available to the general public (we booked them through a time share program), but are worth asking about. Very, very cute log cabin style buildings. Resort photo of unit at http://smartsites.legendarymarketing.com/site_images/25/mediacenter/winter6.jpg.

There are two units per building, but the way the are designed, you definitely don't feel like you are sharing walls with anyone else. No kitchen, but a decent size ("under the counter") fridge and microwave, plus a cook breakfast nook area (complete with sky lights). The sitting room had two very comfy couches and a gas fireplace. Two good-size bedrooms, both with full bathrooms (but smaller showers). If you go in the winter, be sure to bring slippers as the slate tile in the common area gets very cold. Our only complaint is that the mattress in the master bedroom was rock hard.

The resort is currently undergoing major renovation and we were forewarned that most activities, restaurants, etc. would be closed during the week, but had an excellent dinner in the main dining room on the weekend. They even go my anti-vegetable son to eat asparagus!

There is a lot to do in the area, but the resort is in a somewhat secluded area, so be prepared for some short drives (and longer ones if you need to do grocery shopping or other larger stores). Alpena is about an hour away (and worth the drive). Treetops resort is about 30 minutes away and Shanty Creek about an hour. Charlevoix about an hour and a half.

We are very much looking forward to another visit!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Sunshine5150
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Hampton Inn Gaylord
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord
Treetops Resort
Treetops Resort
#5 of 13 in Gaylord

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!