“Great for business conference”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I attended a business conference at Garland this week. The confetence facility was perfect for the event. The staff was prompt and thorough. The setting in the Great Room was very nice.

I also stayed at the lodge, in the South Wing. My room was spotless and comfortable The hotel areas are nicely decorated. I ate at the bar at night, after the conference and the hamburger was very good.

What impressed me most was the helpful and welcoming attitude of all the staff I met, from the front desk staff, to the conference workers, to the maid who led me to the workout room. The staff's attitude and effort clearly show that they care about the resort and the guests. We were at 2 other Michigan resorts this week for business and neither one came close to Garland in terms of facilities or staff attitude.

I don't even play golf and I want to come back. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: August 2012
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Our team really loves to hear when no-golfers have a great time at Garland Lodge and Resort. There is so much to do and just taking in the rustic enviorment and sights and sounds of nature makes Garland quite different than other conference locations.

We are developing quite a reputation for our culinary choices and outstanding team members whose mission is to exceed guest expectations. As we change our culture to concentrate on the quest needs it is easy for our team to smile and feel good about their performance.

We are striving to secure more conferences as Garland is the perfect location to unwind and let our product produce positive end results.

We do hope you will return sooner than later to let us pamper you again.

There are newer reviews for Garland Lodge & Resort

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I just got back from Garland after spending 3 nights there Aug 4-7, 2012. We have stayed at Garland before but this stay we had time experience everything Garland had to offer and we were not disappointed and look forward to our next stay!

Rooms - We spent 2 nights in the south wing and 1 night in a Villa - both great rooms but the villa gives you the true Garland experience. We loved the villa! Any chance of getting Fox sports Detroit in the rooms? I enjoyed going up to the bar to watch the Tiger game, but would also love to watch it in my room.

Food - We ate at Garland twice during our stay both times the food was great and I highly recommend eating at the resort. We were pleasantly surprised with the Pig roast!

Golf - I played the Fountains course and was very impressed. Now that I have played all the courses at Garland I can honestly say Fountains is the best. If you can only choose 1 course, choose Fountains. Garland stresses pace of play and enforces it! The rangers on Sunday did an excellent job and we completed our round in 3.5 hrs. Kudos!

Service - Definitely improving, but unfortunately still a work in progress. Props to the bar tending staff, waitstaff, and front desk. Mucho Gracias! Every time we stay at Garland during the checkout process it never fails someone in line is upset over their bill - Obviously, I do not know details of their bill, but Garland desperately needs to develop a process to alleviate guests concerns before they checkout. Although we had ZERO issues with our bill I hate to see people standing around overhearing other guests voice their displeasure and leaving a bad taste in their mouth before leaving this wonderful resort. I know other resorts you can check your bill on the TV or thru your smartphone, just a suggestion. Another suggestion - A bag check and someone to shuttle your bags to your villa or room.

Grounds - Absolutely beautiful! Garland does an amazing job maintaining the grounds and it's pure rustic luxury with an outdoor pool, tennis courts, sand volleyball and even a fire pit! One disappointment, the hot tub was closed for repairs during our entire stay. Hopefully, this is a quick repair because it's a great feature that we enjoy. I understand you offer another hot tub downstairs, but it's not the same, and very busy.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review. You touched on many postive points that Garland Lodge and Resort has to offer and also some areas for improvement.

The pace of play is improving and is such an important element for a positive golf experience. We work hard at keeping a round close to four and one half hours. Our starters and rangers are doing an excellent job.

Shame on us for not offering you bell service. Our front desk team is required to ask guests if they would like help with their luggage. I have been in the hospitality industry for forty years and checking guests out and explaining their bills is sometimes a challenge and it is how our team deals with the situation that can make or break the encounter. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Yes, the outdoor hot tube is repaired, we had a major crack in the bottom and it took a few days to get it back running. I wish these challenges did not happen, but when they do, we work hard to return it back to normal as quick as we can.

I appreciate your time to write this very valid review and hope to see you again in 2012.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Arrived after the 4:00 check in, room not ready until almost 5:00. Fixtures need replacing, mildew in shower. No place to buy a snack, no vending machines, sundries shop. No newspapers. Asked at check in if our room had outdoor balcony, were told all rooms had a balcony as we are smokers. Our room didn't have a balcony. Had to go to one of the main entrances for a smoke. Cell service is terrible, this is not the fault of the resort, but thought you should know. If you are a non golfer, not a lot to do. Outdoor pool was quite a hike from the lodge. Again, the only vending machine was $2.85 for a bottle of Pepsi. The golf cart came around with snacks and drinks. If you wanted something at the resort you are out of luck. I never found anywhere to get even a pack of gum. Our first night drinks were $6 each, second night they were $7each. Breakfast buffet over priced at $13.50, I expected more for the price. We were there for a conference that ended at 12:00, but check out was at 11:00, told us we had to get out of the room at 11:00. I was there with my friend, she was attending a conference, I had no where to go. Very rude. Property smelled like septic. Every time we went outdoors it gagged us. Take the short drive to Lewiston. Great local restaurants. Went to the Iron Kettle, the Villager and Talley bar. All great food with excellent staff. Nice little public beach in town too.

Room Tip: Maybe the cabins are better, the hotel rooms need an upgrade. To me it's the little things that...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank stressedoutMichigan
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

We are so disappointed to hear Garland Lodge and Resort did not even meet your expectations, much less exceed them. There will not be much I can verbalize that will change your mind about the absense of vending machine snacks and newspapers, except to inform you that if you would have asked our front desk, restaurant or any other team member we would have made the effort to exceed your expectations. Just because we don't have such items in the lobby does not mean we can't accommodate your needs by locating them elsewhere.

The outdoor swimming pool is 300 yards from the lodge and once again, we could have provided you a shuttle to the area. Our cell service has improved greatly since we placed six small towers around the lodge and conference area. Becuase we are in a rural area we do not have coverage throughout the entire property.

I too support the local restaurants as they are very well established and we are grateful to have them in our community.

What I am concerned about and will immediately address is your "rudeness" comment as this is unacceptable and is not tolerated. We can look up your check out time and date and determine who was working at the time. Also we do standby our 11am check out time when your unit was going to have another guest checking in the day you departed.

My only suggestion is the next time you visit Garland please give us a chance to meet and exceed your needs and wants by requesting items that you may not find on-site. We are here to please our guests and there is always more than one way to meet a challenge. A sundry store is less than two miles away and when requested we have made trips to secure guest items.

Thank you for sharing your concerns and I do hope you will give us another chance.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I plan a girls golf weekend every year there are usually around 16 of us and we usually stay in the Villas but we decided to stay in the main lodge and what treat it was all the girls could not have been happier. The rooms were clean spacious and the staff was wonderful on accomodating us so that we could enjoy each other and not desturb any other guest "which we did not" The new management was wonderful and working just as hard as everyone else to make everyone compfortable. The food was very good and the restaurant/bar manager {Mike} was very nice and accomodating aswell. The courses were in great shape and the rangers were very polite and nice everyone had a smile on their face and thats what you want to see when your on vacation. Great job Garland I will see you in September with another outing I have planned there. Thanks Kimberly D.

Room Tip: All accomodations are great if you want privacy and outdoor in the woods I would recommend the cabin...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kimberly D
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Hi Kim
Our team has so much fun making your group's trip a memorable one. Our team loves it when guests smile, laugh and inform them they are doing a fabulous job. We love to have groups that understands and appreciates how hard our team works and not afraid to recognize their efforts. You have been to Garland many times and to recognize we are improving our product and service level is a huge compliment to our team.

We can't wait to see you again in the Fall with yet another group of wonderful women who enjoy a great time.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

For the past 31 years we have had our annual "Rusty Nail" golf outing. For the past many years we have had it at Garland. While all the past years were good experiences this year with the new management was fantastic!! The golf courses were in terrific shape and they have really worked on the pace of play by having many friendly marshalls out on the course. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Amenities were comfortable and clean as always. The food was also good and everything went very smooth from start to finish. Thank you Garland for a terrific time and we will be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank paulw007

What an honor to have The Rusty Nail group commend our team for providing an excellent experience to your group members. We are committed to finding the right mix that allows every guest the chance to enjoy our phenominal property, product and service.

We expecially are pleased to have a review recognizing our golf course pace of play has vastly improved. Everyday we strive to stay at the 4 1/2 hour pace of play. Even when we have over 700 golfers on all four courses we have been right around the 4:30 to 4:45 minute mark which is awesome. Our golf course rangers have gone through extensive guest relations training this year and are receiving high marks for their friendliness and professionalism.

The culinary program has also vastly improved and this is such an important component of the total guest experience. The product is prepared by a superior team of chefs and support crew and the front of the house enjoys serving guests a wonderful meal and awesome beverages.

Again, it means the world to us to know you have taken the time to inform others about your stay and experience at Garland. See you next year and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We held our sales meeting at Garland for the first time and were extremely happy with our choice! We were in awe of the beauty of the resort, surprised at the great food and the most important loved the staff who went out of their way to make sure we were happy. They truly made us feel that they wanted us there! Our entire sales staff thanked us for picking Garland. We can't wait to return.
Paul

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul W
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Paul
Thank you for your gracious compliments regarding your group's experience at Garland Lodge and Resort. There are many properties to choose from for meetings and conferences and having the opportunity to exceed your expectations is what our team members thrive on. We know we have hit the mark when groups wish to return sooner than later.

Again, thank you for taking time to provide us with this positive review and continue to have a great summer season.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I are big golfers and have always wanted to visit Garland and we finally made the trip. What a pleasant surprise! This beautiful resort is truly a resort - it has so many things to offer, not just golf. They have put in a new Aveda Spa that I can't wait to try the next time we visit. I love the outdoor bar area - it's just off the pro shop and had such a fun vibe to it. A major treat was dinner. I would think that this has to be the area's best restaurant. The dining room is beautiful (see photo), the service is over the top excellent and the food was outstanding. They have also added a Wine Bar, Tannins, to the resort. What fun it was to go have a glass of wine there before dinner. You can also purchase a bottle of wine to take back to your hotel room - I can't think of another golf resort that we have been to where you can do this. They also had lovely pre-made plates of cheese and crackers you could take back with you - these were really nicely done. We stayed in one of the villas and it was very nice and spacious with a great bathroom. And, oh yeah - the golf! We played The Fountains course - we loved it and had a great time. They also offer this 10 for $10 thing - you can get a quick 10-minute golf lesson, including a video analysis of your swing, for $10! What a great idea.

Every single person at Garland, from the golf starter to the person behind the desk, was wonderful and acted like they truly loved working there and were excited to see you. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cascio
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

On a Friday morning before a very busy weekend to find your outstanding review of our resort is a marvelous way to start the day! Thank you for taking the time to be so comprehensive and explainng the many amenities we provide our guests. We have come a long way in our offerings and service package and it is all due to our dedicated team members.

They love to come to work, go to the announcement board and find reviews that recognize their hard work because it is an assessment from a guest (s) who experienced quality product and service.

Our culinary team in the back of the house rarely gets recognized, but they are the ones who prepare the excellent food dishes that our servers bring to your table. Also our grounds maintenance team, engineering team and housekeeping team rarely receive guest verbal comments, but they are what makes a guest stay just as memorable.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and hope to see you soon.

Glenn Miesch

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord
#4 of 15 in Gaylord
Waters Inn
Waters Inn
#2 of 15 in Gaylord

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!