“Exceptional Experience!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Garland Lodge and Resort offers a most rewarding experience. We (Hospice of Michigan) recently had our Golf Tournament at Garland. The entire event was handled professionaly, elegant lunch and dinner, outstanding, courteous staff, and General Manager Gentleman Glen was present and offering assistance, making our day a pleasure. We would recommend Garland Lodge and Resort to anyone who is seeking a memorable experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shirley H
There are newer reviews for Garland Lodge & Resort

Reviewed September 6, 2011

We enjoyed the stay at the Garland but the 2 bedroom cottages are a bit small. The living room does not have a television which makes it a difficult to sit around and relax other than in your room. That kind of separated the group because Dad wanted to watch a movie and the kids wanted to play a board game. The walls are thin and the noise from the next cottage was almost unbearable as they stayed up until 3 AM. Then the noise outside started at 7 AM.
The grounds are beautiful and the golfing was great. We got free use of golf carts and free buckets of balls at the driving range. The 9 hole putting course (it was like putput golf but better) is only $5 per person and 2 for 1 this month.
TravelZoo offered a deal = it was about $150 a night with unlimited golfing for 2 days. It is beautiful just not very comfortable and without a kitchen you have to eat onsite or in Lewiston. We ate at a very nice restaurant at the light in Lewiston.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2011

It was one of the worse golf stays we ever had since going to Garland. The manager AMY did not know how to handle customers she provokes and doesn't resolve. The package that was agreed on over the phone they didn't honor. That started it all. We were to recieve breakfast on one of our day's stay. They said it wasn't part of the package and basically we are sorry for the mistake. We can give you breakfast for a additonal charge of 25.00. We asked for help with our luggage for the villia they couldn't support that not staffed for that. When we made the reservation i requested the main lodge and was talked out if for the villia not knowing there was no help from garland. After golf that day we checked our account balance and Garland charged us twice which brought our account to a over draft. They told us they take the money up front then adjust at the end. That was after they did it not when we checked it. Again AMY was not helpful. The next morning we talked to the director Glen he basically cooled the situation down but didn't do anything to make us happy. Through out the conversation he said that his managemenrt could of done better but nothing was done.

We went to treetops the next day and told our story to them they took care of us and we didn't even stay there. They wanted us back as we go there every year as we have with garland. We will not go back to Garland curently the way we feel ever. They need to change how they treat there customer and show they want you there.

Room Tip: Done get the villia's they don't help you with your luggage you have to walk almost a 1/2 mi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Grant C
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

When you left my office on Sunday morning after discussing your concerns with me, you and your wife seemed pleased that we listened and informed you we would investigate your comments. After reviewng the front desk video tapes during the time you were dealing with our front desk personnel, it is obvious we should have delt with your demands and personality in a different fashion. I have as I informed you I would, provided training on how to deal with guest altercations. As much as we attempted to please you, we were unable to satisfy your needs, which I am disappointed in as we work hard to solve our guest challenges. We will continue to work on improving our guest services and strive for perfection as it is the guest experience that matters most to our Garland team. Guest dissatisfaction is taken personally by all our team members and we confront each complaint to ensure it does not happen again. Thank you for taking time to write this review.

Glenn Miesch

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Our company recently held a group outing at Garland as we have for a few years now. While the event itself was quite enjoyable, I have a strong objection to how settling the final bill was handled with the member of our group who arranged the outing. I have been traveling to Garland for a number of years for pleasure, and used to go out of my way to recommend their facilities to people looking for golf, good food, and a great atmosphere in Northern Michigan, but will no longer do so.

They should be embarrassed by the pettiness shown by the management staff in attempting to overcharge for agreed-to discounted services and for rooms that were not even used and cost Garland nothing as a result (no lost revenue as resort was not full to capacity).

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank GarlandIsbad
GlennMiesch, General Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

On behalf of the Garland Lodge and Resort, I am sorry you felt our management team handled your group member billing incorrectly. We do have occupancy/reservation policies that are established and known to any guest reserving a room at our property. As far as the "agreed-to-discounted services" that I assume were in writing, I am unable to respond unless I have access to the documented complaint.
I am disappointed to hear you will no longer recommend Garland and do hope you will still have positive memories from the many years you have come to our wonderful property.

Glenn Miesch

Reviewed August 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed with his sons celebrating their 21st birthday. This was a golf weekend and we had a very enjoyable stay. The new management treated us very well. The staff was on top of everything. We were golfing on a day where it started to pour rain and everybody was called off the golf course. The staff pulled up front to ask if people needed rides to their rooms or cars. Everybody was very accommodating and friendly. Our meals were very good. Breakfast was excellent. I know somebody commented on the buffet not being very good-but it depends on when you get there. We had our breakfast close to the ending time and I would agree the buffet did not look too appealing. We ordered off the menu and it was excellent. I loved the eggs benedict and everything else we ordered was delicious. I will agree about the golf course and service. It is hard for finding bathrooms or beverage service on the course. I just brought my own water-I know this is not right but in 90 degrees you do what you have to do. Also - we were in one of the condos and we were sitting outside and the girl driving around on the golf cart asked if we needed anything and we did need some more drinking glasses. She returned in less than 10 minutes. Overall I think everything was very good. Our accommodations were clean and very nice. We also did the Zhivago night last winter Feb 2010 and that was really nice also. The only thing is when you are done there are no seats to be had back in the lodge where Jeff and Sue play (great entertainment and very interactive with the crowd) So we were not able to enjoy the entertainment. Hopefully this will change- I had mentioned this and discussed this with the new management when we were just there in July. We had a very nice time. Oh by the way loved the greeting when we arrived from the dogs - they were adorable. Looking forward to returning this winter for the Gourmet Glide.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Lynne and I made arrangements to stay at Garland over the 4th of July weekend. Although we experienced "hicccups" during our stay, we discovered the beauty of the courses, the three rangers and their humor, the warmth and decor of the lodge and the laughter of the guests during cocktails on the spacious patio convinced us we would be returning later this year. We had the pleasure of Glenn Miesch, the General Manager of Garland, along with his lovely wife Susan, join us for a few moments at dinner. In addition to offering us, several times, something to remedy what may have been perceived as unacceptable service, they took the time to explain the trials and tribulations of creating a destination worthy of a four star resort. We responded, that as business owners ourselves, we could emphasize with their challenges.

For those who have read the poor reviews, please consider the many who have visited Garland and will be returning.

Ron

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was a golf getaway with my husband and I have to admit I was worried when I saw the reviews, but I wanted to give it a try anyway since I have always wanted to go there. We are really glad we did. I am very picky and was skeptical but am so glad to make a positive trip recommendation. The service was above and beyond in every aspect from golf to providing us olives for our guests who stopped by our room. The room was very nice and clean just a minor tear in the carpet in a corner of the room. The golf courses were well maintained and enjoyable to play. The bar was fun at night with great music on a Thursday night and a crowd of at least 50 people dancing and singing to "Jeff and Sue". The only improvement would be the food. It was fine/good but not exceptional, but I guess that is okay too. I really didn't expect fine dining at a golf resort. I would suggest taking a trip and seeing for yourself. Oh, the grounds were lovely and well maintained with flowers and more flowers. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the villas vs. the lodge. They were spacious and off in the woods.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord
#4 of 15 in Gaylord
Waters Inn
Waters Inn
#2 of 15 in Gaylord

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!