“Amazing food but beware of loud crude diners”

The Riverside Inn Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Leland
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our children purchased a gift certificate for our 40th Anniversary. They even picked a special table for our romantic evening. The table overlooked the river in a quiet corner. Our waiter was very attentive and professional. Our evening began with a wonderful bottle of wine followed by a delicious meal. I had the duck and my husband had seafood combination dish. As we were enjoying what appeared to be a perfect evening. Then a large, loud and crude group was seated in the room. We soon noticed several people were moving to another room. Since our children picked our table we hated to request another table which would not have a river view. When we complained to the manager she seemed unable to address the situation. The group took to swearing the more they drank. We were told we would hear from the management but never have. A restaurant should address unruly patrons who ruined a dining experience for others around them.

3  Thank DTLf

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have had some memorable meals at the Riverside Inn in Leland. Usually, we have come by boat, and it is always a treat to sidle in to the dock alongside the restaurant, and then to potter away afterwards. This time, we came by car on a beautiful warm evening, ...with the roof down.
We ate outside on the deck; it's a fine scene with overhanging willows and lots to watch while enjoying fine food and wines.
The menu has moved towards nouvelle cuisine, with small portions but really interesting treatments. The appetizers include home-made sausages and cheeses in varying tastes, along with oysters, but we each had a salad. I took the golden beets salad with goat cheese, apples and more. It was a great combination of unexpected flavors, and I liked it a lot.
For our main course, we both had fish: whitefish, and halibut. The whitefish was sauteed and served on basmati rice with a ratatouille. My halibut was perfectly cooked with a tomato confit, fingerlings and caramelized onion. Not large portions, but quite the treat.
The wine list is quite varied, with several Michigan wines available from nearby vineyards and a price range to suit everyone, from $20 to $200, along with local beers: we found a very refreshing Sauvignon Blanc.
The evening breeze was warm and relaxing, our server was attentive and not too much, and this was a great dinner together.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

In a town this size you can find restaurants that offer good food. But this gem is something special. The setting is spectacular. The decor is uptown. And the food is exquisite. Fresh-tasting, beautifully and imaginatively prepared. The staff is knowlegable about the preparation and well-informed about the extensive wine list. Dessert was not run-of-the-mill--fresh tasting sorbets, and a coeur de la creme that was heavenly. We weren't rushed out the door and we hated to leave. Leland is a charming spot and very mush worth a stroll around the shops and the historic town.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Never disappointed, always the best meal. Staff very professional. Love the variety on the menu. Love they use very fresh local in season farm produce. Always wanting to please the guest. My thought truly a gem, and a find. You should make it your destination!! Leland a great historical little town, full of charm and great shops.
Take a ride you'll be happy you did.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I were looking for something a little different. We decided on a beautiful drive along Lake Michigan from Traverse City to Leland. On the way up we called to see if the Riverside Inn had room for two. Their recommendation was the bar on a first come first serve basis. That was our goal...to eat at the bar in this wonderful restaurant.

Prior to reading the review, I am not a noob when it comes to dining out. I travel for business and entertain all over the world. This meal was exceptional and world class in my opinion.

My wife secured a table while I looked for parking. We started with a little wine. Nice selection of reds.

While we were waiting they brought warm sourdough bread and butter. Nice crunchy crust and soft chewy center. Just how we like it. We asked for a second serving it was so good.

My wife had the beet salad and she said it was very nice.

I had the Bibb salad - Bibb lettuce with avocado, bacon, teardrop tomatoes, buttermilk blue cheese, dressing. The smoky, but sweet bacon along with the buttermilk blue cheese dressing was a nice combination. I cleaned the plate. No kidding, this was one of the best salads ever.

To top it off, my wife and I had the Halibut from the regular menu. It was a hard decision because the snapper special sounded and looked (neighbouring table had it for dinner) incredible.

The halibut was pan seared to perfection. A nice brown crunchy natural crust on on the top and bottom with a moist light flaky fish center. Perfection. It sat on top of an English tea purée and with a carmelized onion & preserved lemon burre blanc on top. Wow...this was spectacular and again one of my best meals ever. Everything was perfect.

Our waitress was excellent too.

Nothing on the dessert menu looked too interesting. I am sure we would have tempted small bite options had they been available.

This restaurant is well worth the 30 minute drive each way. Call ahead for reservations. By 7pm they were packed everywhere.

1  Thank Clinton S