Laurium Manor Inn
$130
Super 8 Houghton(Houghton)(Great Value!)
$99
$115
$111
Travelocity
$118
QualityInn
Magnuson Hotel Copper Crown(Hancock)(Great Value!)
$99
$120
$116
HIExpress.com
$110
All reviewslaurium manorold mansioncream cheesethird floorprevious ownersenjoyed our staylumber baronsfront porchyogurtmy sister in lawbed and breakfastcoffee cakecopper countryclaw foot tubrooms are comfortablebreakfast was excellentcurrent owners
Reviewed September 14, 2007

We came back to the Copper Country to visit old friends and favorite places , having lived in Houghton 20 years ago while my husband was on the faculty at Michigan Tech. Two of our children were born in Laurium. At that time this beautiful building was being used as a funeral parlor. How delighted we were to find out this incredible historic treasure had been restored and was now an Inn.
We stayed in room 6 on the second floor - which had been used by the owners as a guest room. Teddy Roosevelt may have stayed there. It is a grand and beautiful room with much of the original furnishings, a gas fireplace to take the chill off a cool evening, and a porch with a swing to enjoy on a nice afternoon. It was very comfortable. We learned about the history of the house and the other historic house across the street and toured all the rooms. Both buildings have been beautifully restored, but the Laurium Manor is a particular treasure, the largest and most lavishly appointed home in Upper Michigan.
The owners are very friendly and helpful. There is an ample breakfast buffet with both hot and cold dishes. There are many historic sites to visit nearby , several art galleries and some good nearby restaurants. Be sure to see the historic Calumet Theater and the beautifully restored interior of nearby Shute's Bar!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank CindyPennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My wife, son and I stayed at the carriage house of the Victorian Hall, which is part of the Laurium Manor Inn B&B group. I have stayed at the Manor several times in different rooms, but this was a first for my wife and son. We wanted the carriage house because it has two separate bedrooms, and our son is severely autistic and needs his space.

To begin with, check-in is easy for all rooms, just go to the huge manor (13,000 Sq feet), buzz in and get your key. Your room key opens all the buildings, so you can explore both large houses (the other is about 7,800 Sq feet). The woodwork, stained glass, and general craftsmanship of these houses is completely amazing - e-mail me if you want more on that. Our 'room' consisted of a eat-in kitchen with fridge and microwave, two good sized bedrooms, dining room and living room combo, plus a large bathroom with clawfoot tub / shower. We also had the last wood fireplace, all the others are gas.

The room was clean, there was a few spider webs in the bathroom, but nothing moving. This room is not rented as much as the main house rooms, so it may have been vacant for a week or so. We loved the homey feel of it - the furnishing, the books, and general decor. The wicker in the bathroom is interesting. Very peaceful place. We had a fire in the evening, as it was quite cold for July, even in the U.P. and had a little smoke problem so we had to shut the glass doors that aleviated the situation. We told the innkeepers and they were going to check the chimney. We slept very well, even though it got a little cold and we had to turn on the portable heaters - a nice feature.

Breakfast was wonderful, gingerbread pancakes, sausage, juice and fruit. We then looked through the gift shop in the BALL ROOM on the 3rd floor of the Manor. (This place is really big).

Dave and Julie, the owners are extremely pleasant and accommodating. They make you feel at home, and even though the houses are veritable museums, you still feel like you can touch things.

I will be back again, and again, and again....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave A
Reviewed July 4, 2007

This Inn is a jewel in the Kewenaw. Any one who has a chance should stay there at least once. We were on the third floor the first night and loved it so much, we asked if there was an opening for another night. The second night we were lucky enough to be in the original owner's suite on the second floor.

The current innkeepers are very gracious and allowed us free access to any room not rented for the evening. I took my book downstairs and
read in the parlor in the evening. I turned on all the lights and
made myself at home. If it had been warmer, the front porch would have been a fantastic place to sit and rock. (We were there in late September.)

The current owners have painstakingly worked to restore this mansion to its former glory. One point to make---there is no elevator. Any guest who stays at the Inn will need to be able to climb stairs.

I highly recommend The Inn and will make it a point to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank gramma2b
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I just returned from a one-night stay at the Laurium Manor Inn. Without a doubt, it was one of the best inns I have ever stayed at. I cannot tell you how welcome I was made to feel by the owner. She repeated urged me to wander throughout the inn (and is it ever big and full of historic charm.) My room, #9, on the third floor was quite nice, as were all the rooms in the inn. Although no breakfast was served, the owner told me to feel free to have munchies, tea and coffee at any time. Only one other room was occupied, so yes, it felt a bit "spooky" being almost all alone in such a big house, but it was well worth it. I cannot over emphasize how much I enjoyed my stay there and would not hesitate to return. Enjoy the U.P....it is beautiful; and enjoy the Laurium Manor Inn. I surely did.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank bill2242
Reviewed April 9, 2007

The Laurium Inn is a beautifully restored mansion. We enjoyed our stay but expected a more intimate bed and breakfast style atmosphere. The inn is very large and the owner kept all the lights off in the common rooms. This made the inn seem very dark and unwelcoming. The breakfast was buffet style with many choices, but the food was barely warm and just so-so. We frequently stay at B&Bs. The Laurium Inn was the largest and probably most beautiful inn we have ever visited. However, it lacked the warm, inviting, friendly ambience we have come to expect in a B&B.
The Keweenaw Peninsula is an amazingly beautiful place to visit. If we return we will stay at one of the less impressive motels near the shoreline.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family