“OK for Breakfast”

Toni's Country Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Laurium
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
“OK for Breakfast”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Breakfast is my husband's favorite meal of the day, so we were excited to try Toni's. We had heard good things. We were disappointed, however. First of all, the saffron bread left a horrible taste in your mouth that you continued to taste all day - almost metallic tasting. OK, so we discovered we're not big fans of saffron. The rest of the breakfast was OK, but nothing special. It looks like a bit of a dive, but we don't mind that if the food is terrific. We certainly didn't like it enough to go back. I make homemade bread all the time, and I wasn't impressed with their bread. Light as air - if you know what I mean. We prefer a more substantial loaf in terms of weight. We will probably try their lunch at some point, and maybe I'll have a better review. A couple checked out when we were there and had nothing but credit cards. They wouldn't take one.

• Visited October 2011

Houghton, Michigan
“Oh boy, best breakfast and Pasty in the U.P.”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I wish they would expand to a bigger place, and that's the biggest negative of the place. Small diner, but big on smiles and taste for the most reasonable prices I've seen in a while. If you are looking for breakfast, you eat here and thank me later. If you are looking for the best Pasty in town, again, look here and thank me later. Just be willing to wait for both, you aren't the only person who now knows this. Oops, almost forgot, unreal cookies, bars, and tarts as well as my wife's personal favorite, saffron bread!

Visited October 2011
3 Thank CRR0102LBSR
Washburn, Wisconsin
“Breakfast can be your Meal of the Day!”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Friend and I were happily ensconced at Centennial Cottages, whose owners suggested this bakery/restaurant. Perfect breakfast and choice of many fresh bakery goods. My friend got a wonderful loaf of bread with cinnamon rolled into it like the growth layers of a tree! Yum. Clean, good service, good coffee and they did not seem to mind that we lingered for a long time!

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Pearl413
Denver
“Finnish Pasty Heaven”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I am not a Upper and I am only half Finn but if you want Finnish pasties like like your grandmother use to make this is the place...never ate breakfast there...too busy eating pasties for breakfast...rarely get to the UP anymore but when I do I go to Toni's for pasties.

• Visited December 2010
1 Thank Kurt5280
“Great breakfast, fantastic breads & pastries”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We discovered Toni's while roaming around the U.P. during the LSPR race last October. What a gem! They have a fairly standard breakfast menu (eggs, toast, pancakes, etc) but it was all delicious. The real treat was the cinnamon bread and little pastries/cookies. We left with a bag of treats, cookies, and bread to take home (7 hour drive). The cookies didn't make it home but we froze the bread and enjoyed it a few weeks later. If memory serves, they do not take credit cards but they did accept an out of state check (WI). If you're up in this area of the U.P., make it a point to stop at Toni's.

• Visited October 2010