“Just Arrived & Not Pleased”

Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
Kansas City, Missouri
“Just Arrived & Not Pleased”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just checked into this hotel in Lansing. Upon arrival I pulled up to the hotel and was greeted by the Valet. When I asked if there was another parking option he informed me that he would park my car for $16.00 a day. I again asked for another option and he told me that I could park across the street in the parking garage for $10.00 a day. When I asked if I could unload my bags (I have a number of them due to supporting the military this weekend for drill). I was informed that I could not unload my bags, that I was in a Fire Lane (no sign for the Fire Lane, only two-sided that clearly reads, "Valet Parking.") and that I could receive a ticket for parking in the Fire Lane. He informed me that I would need to pull across the street, park in the garage and carry my bags across the walkway. Upon checking in at the desk by the very cold attendant, I was informed that since I did not use the Valet, if I left the parking garage for any reason and returned, there is a $6.00 return fee each time I move my vehicle. To say the least, I am not pleased. The room is very small, no microwave or fridge. Be careful when you leave that you pull hard on the door, I found mine standing open to realize that it sticks. Walking down the hallway I saw two other doors that were partially open, probably due to the same problem. I decided not to move my car and walk around the area looking for restaurants. The only good ones are very expensive (much more than government per diem) so I ended up eating at a sub shop. When returning from dinner on the elevator with another guest and asked him how he was doing and his exact remark, "this place sucks"......have no idea and didn't ask more. My only save is that I'm filling in for a co-worker for the weekend because he was on another trip. Have already emailed him warning him to book a different hotel. Not worth the price, the unfriendly staff, the costly meals, and the small room.....and I still have three more days here.

1 Thank JRBilly
GMRadissonLansing, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear JRBilly,

I want to personally apologize for the issues that you experienced last night with the Valet parking and your guest room door. We do offer the Valet service as a once a day charge for your stay as a convenience. We can never give an exact charge for the city’s public parking structure due to the nature of them charging by the hour, and it is determined by the time that you are actually parked. I could have a maintenance technician come up, and adjust the door closure immediately.

I was unsuccessful at finding you in our reservations system this morning by your TripAdvisor username. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you, and turn your stay around for you the next 2 days. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel 517-267-3446 or ask to speak to the Manager on Duty.

Bryan Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2013

What a wonderful stay we had at this hotel! The room was very clean, with nice comfy king bed, firm couch and plenty of room. In a great location with walkway to where out event was being held. Enjoyed the pool and hot tub for a little bit. Except for the lack of seating by the pool, everything was great there. Did not try the restaurants, but friends who ate there said everything was good. We enjoyed room service for breakfast. The valets, front desk personnel...really everyone at the resort could not have been more helpful or nice. Were able to help with questions with a smile and always helpful. I look forward to staying there for our event next year!

Room Tip: We had a room right off the elevator, close to ice which was convenient!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments. We look forward to hosting you again next year!!

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The front desk crew was so kind. They truly went above and beyond! The room and pool area were clean. The sleep number bed was very comfortable. We had a king room with a pull out - the kids had no complaints about the sofa bed - it was pretty comfortable! We've been to many hotels - this one was as nice as many. But we haven't been to any that had staff like we found here! Amazing people!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Snowy Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at this Radisson a year ago and I called it "sub-par for families." Now I would have difficulty recommending it to anyone. What a disappointment. I received a survey from Radisson asking how my stay was this year, and this was my response to them: There was long, dark hair mixed in our bath towels. There was no rack to put luggage on to unpack, which meant luggage had to go on the bed for unpacking. The blankets are like thin foam rubber; there are no extras in the closet - we spent the 1st half of the night shivering. Make it warner you say? We tried: The air conditioning took 2-3 hours to change temperature and there is no "off" for the fan. It is impossible to sit at the desk and not be windblown. At this price, Radisson's competitors offer a microwave and refrigerator in the room (and frequently, complimentary breakfast). It was possible to hear every word and cough through the adjoining room door; as I was traveling with 2 teen girls, I'm glad talk and cough was ALL that happened. The icemaker on the 4th floor doesn't work. Neither of the Sleep Number beds in our room worked; one was mushy, the other was rock-hard, neither responded to the remotes. The clock radio time was off by an hour; it was impossible to change the time by any method we tried - hasn't housekeeping noticed this before? Speaking of housekeeping, there was only Sweet & Low near the in-room coffee, no sugar, and cracker crumbs around the nightstand. The pool was freezing cold, the whirlpool only lukewarm, and there were no towels in the pool area. Add the insult of paying "real city" prices ($16) to park in this sleepy town and it adds up to knowing that, next year when we attend our Lansing event, we'll stay elsewhere - and you should, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room WITHOUT an adjoinng room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMRadissonLansing, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us this past weekend. I wish that we would've had the opportunity to make these items that you experienced right for you before your departure. If there is anything that you shared that you would like to discuss further with me, I would be more than happy to discuss. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Radisson was very nice - clean rooms that were nicely appointed, staff was beyond helpful and polite, restaurant was good, etc. I have stayed here for the last 7 years for the same business trip and it has been consistantly a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your continued loyalty of 7 years, and your extremely nice comments about your recent stay.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My overall experience at the Radisson in Lansing MI was wonderful. The staff and accommodations were wonderful. Clean comfortable room, quiet surroundings, and welcoming staff! I had my first experience with a "sleep number" bed, which was interesting. The bedding was crisp and quite comfortable. The conference accommodations were great; rooms, foo

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Well I rolled into the Radisson in Lansing Michigan with my usual low expectations and was I surprised. Behind the desk were 7 of the lovliest,accommodating,enthusiastic young hotel employees I have seen in a long time. What a joy. How lovely to meet individuals who love their job and share their joy with their clients. 5 STARS! Thank you Radisson in Lansing!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
bmj0326, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful compliments about your recent stay with us. I will ensure to acknowledge our Front Desk team for their positive first impression that they set for your stay. I hope that your travels bring you back to Lansing, and we can host you as a guest again.