“100% Unimpressed.”

Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed in this Radison on 31/05/12 with my sister in a twin room.
Due to being in MI on a family visit my cousin reserved the room at a rate of $170 dollars, when we arrived to check in, and pay we were told it was $203, due to taxes, yet we were given an "upgrade" so not wanting to cause a scene at reception for 30 odd dollers we paid and went to the room.

Firstly, there was no upgrade, the room was a regular twin room with nothing outstanding.
The beds were boxy, and the room was very small, 2 girls with 2 cases and the room was fit to burst. There was 2 free bottles of mineral water, other than this we were at a loss as to why the room was supposedly and upgrade, and also what made it so special that we were charged over 200 dollars for ONE night, without any breakfast included.

After being woken at 8am with what sounded like the next room being rennovated we called to reception and told there was work being carried out within the hotel but as it wasnt on our floor we shouldnt be able to hear anything.....so either we were imagining being woken up by a drill or we are liars?!
After the rude awakening we decided to just get ready and check out......at reception i was annoyed at the $14 valet cost (really!) and felt like our stay wasnt worthy of the extra cost and annoyed at the several issues i experienced and questioned the different rates, and how our room was an upgrade....While trying to put my point accross and have things explained to me the surly receptionist interrupted our conversation TWICE to take two seperate phonecalls, which i found very rude,and quite unacceptable..... she honestly couldnt have cared less and seemed very annoyed to have to deal with my quieries on the rate change upon check-in, she offered the difference back, which i accepted but there was no further appologies or explanations, just a vacant goodbye and a big sigh......which she practically did, in my face.....so is why i will not step anywhere near this hotel again, see i have this thing where i like to be treated like the paying guest i am, and for over 200 dollars for one night, this aint no cheap motel, you do NOT get what you pay for here......which is dissapointing considering the Radison in my hometown of Glasgow is a celebrity haunt with touring bands etc staying there, and i know this isnt for no reason......i can only assume this Radison isnt too concerned with the impression they leave on their guests, which is why the staff dont care enough to A)exceed guest expectations, B)Not lie about rates and C) actually give guests the service they pay for.
Whatever, i wont be back, and reccommend going elsewhere to anyone considering staying here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
bmj0326, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

I wanted to personally apologize that you experienced these types of interruptions during your stay with us. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you and make it right.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel or send me your contact information so I can assist further.

Regards,
Bryan Johnson

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on business several times over the years. Most stays have been unremarkable but the last few have been noticeably different. The staff go out of their way to offer to assist. And when you have a request, they are sincerely happy to help. Love the Sleep Number beds. The short walk to the Lansing Center makes a winter stay easy and comfortable....this time it was nice and sunny so I enjoyed the short walk on the street level. Front desk and valets extremely helpful and knowledgeable!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I hesitated to book this hotel based on the last couple of reviews but I needed a Radisson stay to complete their latest promotion. I found the hotel a little dated but otherwise very pleasant. The staff was great, the rooms clean and overall we enjoyed out stay. With the renovation they have planned I expect the Radisson major improvements as well. Bottom line, if you need a hotel convenient to downtown Lansing this is a great choice.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Service was impeccable. Starting with the parking valet who met me as I drove up,welcomed me, handled my luggage and parked my car, then the competent and engaging front desk staff who checked me in, then Room Service staff who delivered a perfectly cooked meal, everyone seemed interested in me as a person, not just a job.

The room was clean and comfortable, with a sleep number bed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed at the Radisson, Lansing for a destination wedding. We stayed (2) nights. The hotel was very clean and staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Sleep Number beds are wonderful, all hotels should have them. The wedding and banquet facility was also very nice. Very pleased with our stay.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Honestly the worst hotel I ever stayed in, the rooms are old the TV remote didn’t work and the wallpaper was falling off the walls. The people next to us must have had a party going on with another room in the hotel because the room door was slamming shut repeatedly like there was a group of people coming and going till 4:30 am. I have never written a review before….I just think people should be aware of this place it’s definitely not worth the money.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our experience at this hotel was mixed. We were at a conference that met across the street at the Lansing Center. It seems that this is the only hotel in walking distance (but I'm not positive about that), so with little competition, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to go the extra mile in the accommodations.
The employees were very helpful, with great attitudes. This includes both the front desk staff, wait staff in the hotel restaurant, and valets. The lobby was warm and inviting, with a table full of a variety of cookies and punch for our group.
On the other hand, guest rooms were disappointing. Ours (and other rooms, based on talking to friends also staying in the hotel) badly needed updating; the wallpaper was old and stained; the carpets in the room seemed clean (walking around in white socks didn't leave them dirty); but the hallway carpets were badly stained and looked pretty grungy. Good friends had a room that was filthy, with greasy dirt on the blow dryer, trash between the couch and the nightstand; it was so bad they requested (and received without trouble) a new room. Our furniture was dated and old; the TV looked to be about 10 yrs old, and the couch was worn and threadbare.
The bathroom was clean, but also needs updating.

Room Tip: If there is a baseball game, ask for a room facing the river so you can enjoy the post game firework...