“Nice Hotel But Thin Walled”

Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
Springfield, Ohio
“Nice Hotel But Thin Walled”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I stayed at the Radisson on my way back from a playing engagement. While the hotel is nice and well-located, the night was far from being a restful one for me. I was checked in extremely courteously and friendly at 9:40 and was given a corner room to address my ongoing request for a quiet location. I entered the room and was greeted by a nice room with loud music blaring in the room next to me. I assumed it would subside soon. My mistake was not calling the desk to get a room change, and I regret not doing this, but did not think I could get a nice corner room elsewhere on the 11th floor. When the noise did not subside by midnight, and needing to be up and out early the next morning, I called the desk to report this. I was informed that security would come up and deal with it. A call from the desk came asking if things had improved, and I said they had. It was not too long after this that loud talking and yelling by, what sounded like three men and two women, commenced in the room. I once again called the desk and was told security would come up. I could not tell, but was not really sure security DID come up. About 1:30 I again called and was told that security had come up and found only one person in the room and it was quiet. I recall their phone ringing and hearing a man talking very calmly, meaning a visit probably did not take place. The fourth call about 2:30 (after I had gone to sleep only to aroused again) was going to net a visit again and I am not sure if it did as by now I had turned the fan on "continuous" in the AC to see if it would cover up the racket from next door. I dropped off to a deeper sleep yet only to be startled at 3:30 by yelling and "MF this and that" being shouted and laughing. I called the desk and the clerk this time matter-of-factly said that the problem was solved as he was moving them out of the room. After a short spell of more loud talking and laughing, the door slammed and the ordeal was finally over-about 3:45 AM. I was able to get to sleep about 4:00 as I was upset and a little uptight wondering if someone would be banging on my door in anger. At 8:00, I got up and managed to leave. Thankfully I was able to make the 4 and a half hour drive home without dozing off at the wheel. The desk clerk had slid a $25 comp under my door for the restaurant and the clerk in the morning agreed to deduct it from my bill since I had no time to eat breakfast. I imagine this is a rare occasion so I am granting them the benefit of the doubt.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice and USUALLY quietest
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
grand haven, mi
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The Radisson is conveniently located for visitors to the state capitol or for tourists visiting Lansing. The hotel staff is very friendly, accommodating and will go out of their way to make sure your needs are met. The hotel rooms are lovely. Ask for a view of the river.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed April 28, 2011

This was a business trip, and my spouse came along to see the capitol while I was in meetings. We ate at the Capitol Grill, which is the restaurant in the hotel, and had a nice meal. The room was nice, but a little worn. There was a burn mark in the carpet from an ironing accident, and the desk was flimsy.

The two ladies we dealt with at the desk were great, and made a good beginning and end to the stay.

Our only complaint was the NOISE. Even though we were on the 6th floor there seemed to be constant noise through the night. Sirens, doors slamming, then at least three different trucks outside beginning at about 3:00 (picking up dumpsters, making deliveries). The Sleep Number bed didn't help us sleep through the racket. If you stay at this hotel, ask for a room on the east side of the building (even numbered rooms).

The "high speed" internet wasn't very fast, and cut out frequently.

The hotel was right in the middle of everything we were doing the next day, and we got a very good rate on the room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I was there last week for a business trip. The hotel is near the capital building which has great view on that street. The room is clean and has a sleep machine? which can adjust your bed to the hard level you want . Parking is valet . breakfast is not as good as I expect. But overall the experience is great.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
St. Joseph, MI
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Overall, my stay was decent. The hotel is conveniently connected to the Lansing Center, so you don't even have to walk outside. The room was very clean and looked like every other hotel room I've ever been in. However, the curtains were sheer and it was light in the room all night. The sleep number bed did not work, so the bed was very firm. I ordered room service and was amazed at the quality of food. It was well worth it. This hotel is your best option if you're attending something at the Lansing Center.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Kenosha, WI
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Our stay was fine, but the service was below what I would expect for this chain. Our family booked our rooms together under one card and requested our rooms be at least on the same floor. Numerous follow up calls were made since, who expects anything from customer service... Of course our 5 rooms were all on completely different floors.

My husband and I drove with my brother and sister and law. I asked that the parking fee be added to our bill instead. It wasn't.

I asked for a wifi code. I realized when I got to the room I hadn't received one and had to call down for it.

We booked a "sleep number bed" promotion. Our sleep number bed (and my brother's) did not even work.

The front desk staff was very pleasant and acted like my requests were no problem...they just didn't actually follow through on any of them.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Great hotel to stay at. A bit pricey but still ok. Clean room, bathroom...No issues or problems. There is guy that does the valet parking for the hotel that is absoluty great. I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times before...usually a year apart and this dude remembers my name every year. For this reason alone I will continue to stay at this hotel just because the dude is nice, talks to me, and takes great pride in his work. He's a true asset to this hotel and I hope they keep him happy so he stays.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business