“Nice older hotel”

Quality Suites Hotel
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 27, 2010

This is a nice but older hotel. Suite size is very large and reasonably clean. Manager's reception was average at best, two drink limit (4-6oz glass) along with chips/salsa as well as mozzarella sticks. Complimentary breakfast was less than average unless you pay the $3 up-charge per person. Would probably stay in East Lansing in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2010

The bite-sized version of this review is that the Quality Suites in Delta Township is a great hotel to hold an event at and to stay. I'm normally a very critical individual, but the staff helped us pull off the perfect wedding and throw one heck of a reception afterward.

I admit up front, when we originally picked the hotel for our wedding location, the decision was primarily based on three superficial reasons: 1) we live nearby, 2) we wanted both the wedding and reception to be in the same place, and 3) a friend of mine works there.

Over time, my new-wife and I came to discover that the hotel is tailor made for this kind of event, and that the staff are the exact sort of people you want to entrust your family, friends, and once-in-a-lifetime occasion to. We didn't come to this belief lightly. Six months before the wedding, we booked a standard room at the hotel so we could sample the experience our guests would receive.

The large four floor atrium design inside the hotel is beautiful, and the main floor gazebo and seating area afford a natural gathering place. The staff are extremely helpful and courteous. The spacious two-room suites (the entire hotel is suites!) are clean and COMFORTABLE. And the night-time happy hour and morning breakfast are worth leaving the room for... especially the happy hour, since you receive free drinks with the room.

Our wedding guests that stayed at the hotel came to the same conclusions. We had elderly folks with special needs, someone with a dog in tow, and smokers that wanted to be near the exits. All were accommodated. When one couple checked in and found a non-working A/C in their suite, they were promptly given a different suite (on one of the busiest weekends of the summer).

For this stay, we booked the Park Avenue Suite on the 4th floor (aka The Honeymoon Suite). Since the hotel and staff are otherwise so hospitable, the only difference between this stay and the one previously was the extravagance of the suite we had this time around. We didn't need triple the space, the two bathrooms, or the heart-shaped jacuzzi... but we sure did enjoy these luxuries. The ample space offered the perfect spot for the bridal party to get ready. And, just before the wedding, we crammed all of the groomsmen in there too (so that we could sign the marriage license and sneak downstairs via the back elevator).

Before I get to describing how the hotel handled the event, let me just offer a few quick pros and cons. PROS: The free WiFi signal is strong and speedy, the hot breakfast is worth spending the $3 to upgrade to, and the location is close to the city without being close to the noise and clamor. You can walk to Bennigan's for dinner or take a very short drive down Saginaw to hit up the mall, Meijer, Target, or a half-dozen restaurants. CONS: There is no swimming pool, the A/C in some rooms isn't cold enough, and you have to make a trek to the main floor if you need ice. It also seems silly to charge for the breakfast upgrade, but the large amount of food offsets the sticker shock.

As for the event itself, I can honestly say that the only hitches we encountered were miscues that we in the wedding group made. The ceremony went great! Since the main floor already has a natural walkway and a gazebo in place, it's pretty much built for weddings. The staff had the chairs in the gallery area setup for the ceremony by noon that day. $30 worth of flowers purchased from Horrock's the night before added the necessary accents. When the reverend arrived about an hour before the ceremony, he took one glance at the area and knew exactly where to stand and how things were going to go. He even commented that he was impressed by the vibe of the place. It doesn't scream "hotel," if you know what I mean.

As we learned later, the staff made it a point to warn other guests about our event, so people took care to maintain quiet during the ceremony. My wife and I thought it was pretty cool to see general hotel guests standing on the upper levels in front of their rooms, observing our nuptuals.

The hotel was so clean and picturesque, that we decided to take our wedding photos there too.

After the wedding, we held the reception downstairs in the ground floor common area. Typically, this area has a few couches and tables for people to relax in (and sometimes a TV with a video game system hooked up to it). For the reception, the staff wheeled out a dozen round tables, and created a perimeter of square tables for the head table, appetizers, and so forth. The white linens, glassware, and utensils were of good quality. All we had to do to create the proper atmosphere was place about $30 worth of flowers and hire a DJ to provide entertainment. The hotel staff handled catering, waitservice, and bar service.

Going into this, our two biggest worries were 1) how hard would the hotel work to help us pull this off, and 2) how good would the food be.

Our concerns evaporated seconds after we arrived, to see our guests enjoying abundant appetizers and cavorting with their glasses full. Throughout the night, the staff were quick to retrieve uses plates and to function as "runners" for guests that needed them to. I even noticed Mike, the general manager of the hotel, tending bar for a while.

Speaking of the bar, we chose a hybrid bar option that blended the host bar and cash bar concepts. Basically, we purchased 220 drink tokens ahead of time to pass out to our guests. If a guest used up all their tokens, then they'd have to pay for their drinks. This compromise allowed us to pay for a good amount of alcohol, without funding a bender for 90 of our "closest friends." If you're on a budget but also want to be hospitable, I highly recommend this option.

The food, in a word, was stellar. We went with summer-themed appetizers and the oven-roasted chicken. The meatballs were succulent, the fruit was fresh, and the bread on the silver dollar sandwiches was just the right blend of soft and chewy. The chicken, veggies, and rice were so good that one of my groomsmen went back to the buffet line three times (and he is an otherwise skinny guy).

For our group of 90-some people, the space was the perfect size. We still managed to have ample room for a gift table, a cake table, and a dance floor. I wouldn't recommend cramming much more than about 130 people into the room, but for a moderate-sized event (like ours), the space seemed just right.

One comment a few of our guests made was regarding how soundproof the rooms were. Our DJ had the speakers cranked a bit too loud, but you could barely hear them even in rooms right next to the DJ table. I was using my mom's room on the same floor to change in, and when I went in there to take a break from the party, it was dead silent inside.

I have to give high praise to Mike, Scott, and Kim (and their staff) for helping to make our event greater than the sum of its parts. To say that I and my wife are pleased is an understatement. We had two meetings with them and exchanged a few emails, and they ended up providing the framework for the greatest evening of our lives. And I am absolutely floored that we managed to pull this off on a budget that was modest by any standard (let alone wedding standards).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank fajitamosaic
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed here when I was in town for a wedding in June. There was nothing wrong with the place; it was clean and the room had fine enough amenities (iron, coffee maker, old TV, and it was a suite, so there was a separate sitting room). It wasn't anything special, either, though. Our room was pretty old-feeling, smelled smoky (even though it was non-smoking), and it overlooked a parking lot where some other guests were drinking beer, BBQing, and playing corn hole. Lovely (but what are you gonna do, right?). My mom also returned to her room to find her computer turned on and logged into the Internet. No harm done, and we supposed it was the housekeeping staff, but still not cool to find your person belongings messed-with.

The staff were friendly, and the greasy-spoon breakfast wasn't anything to write home about, but it did come free with the room. The hotel did appear to be very accessible for those with limited mobility or in wheelchairs, so I give it big kudos for that.

What really bugged me, though, was how pricey it was for what you got. $100/night for a very, very average hotel. I'm not sure if you can do better than that in Lansing (maybe the hotel selection is lacking; I grew up there, so I'm not familiar with where out of towners stay), but I'd be willing to try next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Finally a hotel that actually deserves it's Platinum Choice Hotels Award...! I've stayed at this hotel many, many times over the years and it's always been an excellent experience. Yes, it is an older hotel but it still has plenty of class in my opinion.

The rooms are all 2 room suites, very comfortable and very clean. The living room area has a microwave, fridge and small sink along with a tv, couch, and desk. The bedroom area has obviously the bed and also a tv and sink as well. The "bathroom" sink is not actually in the bathroom, its out in the bedroom, due to the fact that the bathroom is rather small. I don't particularly care for hotels where the sink isn't in the bathroom but this is one of the few exceptions because everything else is so nice.

The hotel has an evening social, I've never actually attended but I think its a nice touch. From what I understand you can also upgrade your breakfast for an additional $3 and its supposed to be pretty sweet, though again I haven't actually used the breakfast area myself.

Also, this hotel is nice enough that I've even seen a couple of weddings in the atrium during my stays, so you can pretty much figure this is a nice, classy establishment . I mean if someone is willing to have one of the most important days of their life at this hotel that says something.

All in all this is just an excellent hotel. I use to stay a lot more often back when the hotel was priced in the $70 range but now that its more like $100 now I don't get to stay as often. Primarily because my company stipend is only $75 so anything over that is out of my pocket. Still once in awhile I pay the extramoney and stay there because it's worth it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank AlCzervik1
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Stayed here for a girls weekend! Great location! 20 minutes from East Lansing and great shopping. Comfortable beds, clean rooms and friendly service. Been to serveral hotels in my life and has NEVER had a breakfast as glorious as the one at Quality suites! Eggs, bacon, sausage gravy and biscuits, toast, waffles, coffee and a Chef that will know your name at the end of your stay. Friendly service followed by great rates. This place is home away from home. You will not be disappointed:)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank cmeredithgood
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I was traveling for business and had to stay in Lansing to catch my flight out of Michigan the next day. I booked this hotel from reviews on tripadvisor. To be honest, I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is an okay hotel - I do not believe the 'best' in the Lansing area.

The staff are nice and the rooms are spacious but quite dated. I'm sure 15-20 years ago this hotel was the nicest around. The hotel claims to be 100% smoke free, however, my room smelled of stale smoke. Also, all of the rooms face into the atrium, which I thought is a nice touch. I was on the opposite end of the hotel from the common breakfast/seating area and around midnight I could still hear people talking/laughing/yelling from inside my room and a dog barking from inside the hotel.

I paid $95 for this room. The pros? Location, refrigerator. Cons? Dated, smoky, noisy

If I come back to Lansing I would stay across the street at the Fairfield Inn or Residence Suites.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RedHeadedGidget
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We recently held a banquet at Quality Suites. They were fabulous! They were very acommodating and no request went unanswered! The food was unbelievable and the service incredible. The hotel rooms were awesome and people who did not plan to stay took one look at the rooms and decided they wanted to stay. Because of their fabulous service and care to detail, we will be having our banquets there from now on! The management staff and the other hotel staff was the best - I have never this wonderful treatment at any other facility. I can see why they have such a high rating. I would recommend this hotel for parties and/or just a nice get away!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple