“Great Place for a Weekend Trip”

University Quality Inn
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I traveled to Lansing to get away from work, stress, and the craziness of life. I have been to the University Quality Inn twice before, the last time being well over a year ago. When I arrived, the friendly staff greeted me with a huge smile. Each and every person at the front desk seemed to really love their job and they interact with people extremely well. The GM even remembered me from the last time I was there and greeted me by name. That does not happen too often. He has trained his staff to be the epitome of service and it truly shows. I checked into my room and I could tell that the friendly and caring customer service at the front desk continued into the room. It was extremely clean and well maintain. All of the furniture was up to date and well maintained. I do not have a single complaint about the room. The bed was comfortable and the room smelled clean, unlike some hotels. Although the bathroom was small, it was very clean and in good working order.

The noise level of the hotel was not too bad, even though there is a common area with a pool and several games and a bar right outside of my room. It was a great place to hang out at the end of the day, to meet new friends from all over the country. You also get two free drinks at the bar, which is a huge plus!

The staff was also very knowledgeable about places to eat and things to do. They gave me some really good tips on some really good restaurants and they will help you with ordering food into the hotel.

All in all, it was a spectacular visit and a very comfortable stay. I will be back to what has become a vacation home for me!

Room Tip: If you like to be in the mix of things, ask for a room near the pool!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you for your review and for recognizing the efforts of our staff! We strive to go above and beyond to make sure each guest feels welcome. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Lansing!

There are newer reviews for University Quality Inn

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel for one week in January 2012 on business. Every one of the staff members, including the owner who was there on most days was very accommodating. At times we may have seemed to be a burden with our request. However, at no time did any of the staff members ever show that we were. When we asked for recommendations for a restaurant, not only did the give them to us but printed directions without asking. When we return, it was always with a greeting, asking us how everything was.
The guys behind the desk were fun to talk to about sports and other things of interest and the young lady behind the desk was a real treat to talk with as well and her eyes would light up any room she walked into. We would stay there again if back in Lansing.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Thank you for your review and for acknowledging our front desk staff. We strive to go above and beyond for each of our guests. Please keep us in mind for any other trips to the area!

Reviewed January 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights while visiting our daughter, who had a special event at MSU. Proximity to the school was great; the hotel does have an airport shuttle, but it's not always available, so it's probably best to call ahead if you're needing a ride from the airport. The shuttle is a hotel van driven by the handyman, who is very nice, but unfortunately a heavy smoker, so the van reeked of smoke.
We had a room with a king size bed along the back corridor, so no pool noise there. The room was average but reasonably clean and the bed was fairly comfortable, though the pillows were quite small and squishy, so not to our liking. The bathroom, however, was the size of a closet - if you're taller than 5'6", you won't be able to get the door past your knees if you're sitting on the toilet, so claustrophobics beware! That was a real turn off for us - fortunately, you don't have to spend too much time in the bathroom! Also, be aware that there is no thermostat in the room, so you can't control the heat and there are no outside windows to open, so it gets quite stuffy. Adding a ceiling fan would really help to alleviate this problem, I think.
There is a nice indoor pool area, and they give one hour of adults only time on Fr and Sat nights, so we didn't have to contend with children splashing around in the pool. The jacuzzi was nice, with the water at a good temp, though it was very sudsy. They do tend to keep the pool area quite cool, which means you feel pretty cold if you are sitting around in a wet bathing suit.
They do give you a slip for 2 free drinks at the poolside bar, which is a nice touch.
Breakfast is serve yourself, not fancy but quite adequate. I'd recommend avoiding the scrambled eggs (definitely taste powdered) and go for the hardboiled ones instead. They do have waffle makers, so you can have a fresh waffle.
Desk staff is very courteous, no complaints there. Overall, I'd say it's average, the rooms are quite basic, so if you want something nicer you probably have to spend a bit more. Our room was $99/night - while not expensive, I'm not sure you'd call it a bargain for Lansing either.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel! You've certainly touched on every aspect of your stay and we appreciate it! We'll be sure to use your feedback during upcoming remodels to our facility. We've addressed the smoking situation with our shuttle driver and it will no longer be an issue. I hope you'll keep us in mind for future trips to the area! We'd love to show you that we are the best value in Lansing!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for over 10 years now (at least 50+ times) and have ALWAYS had a great experience here. The atmosphere of the hotel is absolutely stunning, from the indoor pool in the middle of an atrium, with a bar and plenty of tables and room. And the staff here are always cordial and really do care about your every need. Once they get to know you they are extremely attentative from check in to check out. When the Manager see's me coming he personally handles checking me in. The hot complimentary breakfast is good and they have a computer and printer so that I can print out necessary paperwork when I am here. I have recommended this hotel to everyone I know that comes to Lansing, and I am sorry I have not complimented the Quality Inn University here sooner. This is definately my home away from home when I am travelling through Michigan. Thank you to the staff for all of your help over the years, right down to those who clean the rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor by the pool area gives you access to more amentities, but rooms to the back...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your review and for your loyalty! We appreciate it! I'll be sure to share your review with the rest of the staff. We'll see you on your next trip to Lansing!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I was in town for a conference and needed a place to stay. Hotel staff was very nice and extremely helpfull. You can tell they are making concentrated effort to please there visitors. Used the gym in the morning and was disapointed that the one exercise bike they had didn't work, but overall a great value.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

Thanks for your review! Our staff will be pleased to read your compliments! I apologize for the exercise bike not working. We've made sure it's fixed. I hope you keep us in mind for your next trip to Lansing!

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Had the chance to stay at the University Quality Inn and can't speak highly enough about the experience. There's a beautiful, clean indoor pool in close proximity to all the rooms, an outstanding complimentary breakfast buffet, and convenient bar located adjacent to the pool...all this for a reasonable price on a Friday night. I stayed there with several friends and the staff, notably Jason, the sales director, could not have been more helpful and accommodating. Kudos!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Thanks so much for your review! I'm glad to hear the everyone enjoyed their stay. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Lansing!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We found ourselves in the Lansing area with a convoy of four trucks, twelve adults, eight kids, a trailer full of cattle and (shhh) a puppy that someone picked up along the way. We were supposed to leave the Lansing area on Sunday afternoon after our weekend there but an ice storm in the middle of December left us stranded. We called the University Quality Inn and they were happy to accomodate our big group for the night.
After battling ice and snow, the hot tub was welcoming for the adults and the kids needed to destress in the pool. The little slide was a big hit for our 5 to 11 year olds! We had stayed at another hotel across town for the earlier part of the weekend and the kids agreed, in comparison, the University Quality Inn rocked!
The rooms were clean, the staff was really friendly and helpful and the complimentary breakfast was hot and what would be expected of free hotel breakfast. The parking lot was even big enough to park our big trailer and our cattle rested safe and sound all night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
JasonFawaz, Director of Sales at University Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Thanks for your review! We're so glad everyone had fun and more importantly stayed safe during the ice storm! We hope you'll think of us again on your next trip to the Lansing area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Comfort Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lansing
Quality Suites Hotel
Quality Suites Hotel
#4 of 26 in Lansing

Been to University Quality Inn? Share your experiences!