“Great for Business”
Review of Courtyard Lansing

Courtyard Lansing
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Located off of Hwy 127 so you are less than 10 minutes from walking out the door to literally walking into the Capitol Building. If you are going to MSU you are 5 minutes away and you don't have to worry about paying for parking. Across the street is the Eastwood Mall. Several restaurants to choose from and if you are here for a few days you owe it to yourself to try out the Golden Harvest for breakfast.

The big positives:

Service. From Jennifer at the front desk to Dave in maintenance to Chris "the Lord of Lattes" everyone always has a smile and works to keep you as a customer.

Cleanliness. Every room, every hall, the grounds, etc. All well maintained.

Rooms: Beds firm, room clean, and most important, quiet.

I do travel over 150 nights a year and in Lansing, this is my favorite place to stay

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Lansing

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I cannot rave enough about this hotel. From the greeting at the desk to the restaurant, everyone was super nice. We had dinner and drinks in the Bistro and loved our food and the girl who waited on us talked us into enjoying another drink. Our room was spotless and comfortable and we had a good selection of tv channels to watch. In the morning we had breakfast in the Bistro again and it felt like another restaurant, and the food and service was excellent. Try the Healthy Start. I recommend this hotel for anyone doing business or leisure travel in the Lansing area.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Recently stayed overnight here for a business trip. I usually stay at Marriott Courtyards for business. This stay was fine as far as the hotel chain itself; staff was great, room was fine, bistro was yummy. Only complaint is hearing a midnight train nearby that was just loud enough to be annoying for light sleepers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank dexter619
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This property is not right near campus, but if you are interested, they provide a shuttle to the game. They do hike the prices up for "special events," which includes game weekends. Cancellation for full refund needs to be a week in advance! The staff is pleasant, the rooms are fine--they are renovating. There is no complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Do not stay near the dumpsters!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank swrtzmk
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Husband booked this place on a whim for a Friday night, as he was taking his big engineering exam the next day at Lansing Center, and didn't want to travel too far. I decided to tag along and offer moral support.

The location is right off US-127 at Lake Lansing Rd. exit. Conveniently right off the exit, but getting into it is a little tricky. You need to turn at Kerry St. (where there is a Mobil gas station), and then make another left to get into the plaza. To the right, there is a small business park, and to the left, there is a Mexican restaurant called La Senorita.

Parking is spread around the premise, and I wasn't used to a 2-level Courtyard Marriott. The interior is pretty standard, with the updated red/gold carpet. Since we had a second level room, up the stairs we went. As a previous Yelper had mentioned, this hotel doesn't have an elevator. For me, it's not a big deal, as I didn't have much to carry, but I think this would be a major problem for any person who is handicapped or has a lot of luggage. I mean, you can seriously lose a TON of business just based on this. I really believe that this Marriott should strongly consider updating with an elevator.

Our room was nice and spacious. The mini fridge was pretty depressing looking though, and it was placed directly on the floor. Not only was it on the floor, but it was super noisy, so Husband and I unplugged it. Just the fact that it was left outside in the open made the room look cheap. At least, if they were going to do that, put out a mini fridge that wasn't dirty or had chipped paint. Vanity/sink and bathroom area were standard and separate, so that was nice. The lighting was a bit off putting because the wall sconce had natural lighting, but then the sink area had super bright fluorescent bulbs. I'm not a fan of fluorescent lighting in general, so it would have been nice if all lighting was consistent.

Comfort level of the bed was a 6 out of 10; not bad, but not great. The covers were at clean though and had the right amount of weight to it for a cool evening. Desk area was a good size, and the couch was small for the room. Wifi was okay, but was really painfully slow in the evening. Other than those hours, the connection speed was fine.

Overall, this Courtyard is definitely sub par to some of other Courtyards in bigger cities. The addition of an elevator would certainly increase the value of this hotel, and although the lobby and market area are nice and updated with the Marriott brand, the rooms could use the same finesse (at least our room). Customer service was good, and it is a good location if you want to be near the Downtown Lansing area (it is about a 5 minute drive). However, for $110 with AAA discount, I feel that this place is overpriced for its overall condition. I wouldn't mind staying here again if I had to, but I will definitely look for other options before I settle on this Courtyard.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tycl516
Reviewed October 30, 2012

First of all, for anybody wanting to stay close to campus this is way too far. There's the Marriott off MAC and the Townplace suites off of Hagadorn (Technically off of Hannah Blvd) that are walking distance. It's basically extortion this place charges $247 after taxes for one night. Secondly I called 5 days before my stay (and it took over 30 hours to get a hold of the manager), and Caitlin refused to refund any of my $247 if I were to cancel. Now she did mention it stated in an email their 7 day policy. But you mean to tell me they couldn't fill that a room with 5 days before a home Michigan State football game? I fully understand the policy, but I'm disappointing in their "That's the policy and that's it" tone of voice over the phone. The manager, and other employees just continued to repeat the 7 day policy on the phone, offering no explanation other than "its policy". I will not be making another reservation here.

Room Tip: Stay closer to campus
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank V4934CSscotts
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The room I stayed in was clean, modern, and beds were very comfortable.
The courtyard and gardens were beautiful.
I was on the ground floor and a short walk to the pool and outdoor lounge chairs.
Access to stores and downtown was convenient.
The only complaint is that they should enforce the no children allowed in pool or hot tub rule
between 9pm and 10 pm.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 329Sandy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
University Quality Inn
University Quality Inn
#14 of 26 in Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Courtyard Lansing? Share your experiences!