“My favorite business hotel, so-so location.”
Review of Courtyard Lansing

Courtyard Lansing
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
San Diego, California
“My favorite business hotel, so-so location.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Recently stayed overnight here for a business trip. I usually stay at Marriott Courtyards for business. This stay was fine as far as the hotel chain itself; staff was great, room was fine, bistro was yummy. Only complaint is hearing a midnight train nearby that was just loud enough to be annoying for light sleepers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dexter619

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This property is not right near campus, but if you are interested, they provide a shuttle to the game. They do hike the prices up for "special events," which includes game weekends. Cancellation for full refund needs to be a week in advance! The staff is pleasant, the rooms are fine--they are renovating. There is no complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Do not stay near the dumpsters!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swrtzmk
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Husband booked this place on a whim for a Friday night, as he was taking his big engineering exam the next day at Lansing Center, and didn't want to travel too far. I decided to tag along and offer moral support.

The location is right off US-127 at Lake Lansing Rd. exit. Conveniently right off the exit, but getting into it is a little tricky. You need to turn at Kerry St. (where there is a Mobil gas station), and then make another left to get into the plaza. To the right, there is a small business park, and to the left, there is a Mexican restaurant called La Senorita.

Parking is spread around the premise, and I wasn't used to a 2-level Courtyard Marriott. The interior is pretty standard, with the updated red/gold carpet. Since we had a second level room, up the stairs we went. As a previous Yelper had mentioned, this hotel doesn't have an elevator. For me, it's not a big deal, as I didn't have much to carry, but I think this would be a major problem for any person who is handicapped or has a lot of luggage. I mean, you can seriously lose a TON of business just based on this. I really believe that this Marriott should strongly consider updating with an elevator.

Our room was nice and spacious. The mini fridge was pretty depressing looking though, and it was placed directly on the floor. Not only was it on the floor, but it was super noisy, so Husband and I unplugged it. Just the fact that it was left outside in the open made the room look cheap. At least, if they were going to do that, put out a mini fridge that wasn't dirty or had chipped paint. Vanity/sink and bathroom area were standard and separate, so that was nice. The lighting was a bit off putting because the wall sconce had natural lighting, but then the sink area had super bright fluorescent bulbs. I'm not a fan of fluorescent lighting in general, so it would have been nice if all lighting was consistent.

Comfort level of the bed was a 6 out of 10; not bad, but not great. The covers were at clean though and had the right amount of weight to it for a cool evening. Desk area was a good size, and the couch was small for the room. Wifi was okay, but was really painfully slow in the evening. Other than those hours, the connection speed was fine.

Overall, this Courtyard is definitely sub par to some of other Courtyards in bigger cities. The addition of an elevator would certainly increase the value of this hotel, and although the lobby and market area are nice and updated with the Marriott brand, the rooms could use the same finesse (at least our room). Customer service was good, and it is a good location if you want to be near the Downtown Lansing area (it is about a 5 minute drive). However, for $110 with AAA discount, I feel that this place is overpriced for its overall condition. I wouldn't mind staying here again if I had to, but I will definitely look for other options before I settle on this Courtyard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tycl516
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 30, 2012

First of all, for anybody wanting to stay close to campus this is way too far. There's the Marriott off MAC and the Townplace suites off of Hagadorn (Technically off of Hannah Blvd) that are walking distance. It's basically extortion this place charges $247 after taxes for one night. Secondly I called 5 days before my stay (and it took over 30 hours to get a hold of the manager), and Caitlin refused to refund any of my $247 if I were to cancel. Now she did mention it stated in an email their 7 day policy. But you mean to tell me they couldn't fill that a room with 5 days before a home Michigan State football game? I fully understand the policy, but I'm disappointing in their "That's the policy and that's it" tone of voice over the phone. The manager, and other employees just continued to repeat the 7 day policy on the phone, offering no explanation other than "its policy". I will not be making another reservation here.

Room Tip: Stay closer to campus
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank V4934CSscotts
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The room I stayed in was clean, modern, and beds were very comfortable.
The courtyard and gardens were beautiful.
I was on the ground floor and a short walk to the pool and outdoor lounge chairs.
Access to stores and downtown was convenient.
The only complaint is that they should enforce the no children allowed in pool or hot tub rule
between 9pm and 10 pm.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 329Sandy
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there this weekend for a wedding. We were one of two wedding parties, and there was also a college soccer team staying there. Surely we all had reservations, and yet there was only one person working the front desk. We waited 10 minutes in line to check in. We got to our room (they couldn't even group us together, we were all down different hallways even though we booked well in advance), the beds were tiny and uncomfortable, and our toilet wouldn't flush until we called the front desk. There were no vending machines or ice machines to be found on our floor. The continental breakfast that we paid for as part of our room was bagels and muffins. Nothing else, not even cereal or milk provided. But the part I really have a problem with is this: at checkout, the girl asked me "how was your stay?" I said "okay" she said "just okay?" And I said "yes. Just okay". She gave me a blank stare and said "oh". She didnt ask any questions or offer an apology. The service overall was just lackluster. There is nothing worse than indifference, and that's the overwhelming feeling I got during my stay.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank krhanson
jtraskos, General Manager at Courtyard Lansing, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hello,

I am so sorry that our hotel disappointed you during your stay with us! I agree that the hotel strugged to check in all of the wedding guests that were staying at the hotel as we had so many arrive at the same time. Several of the guests informed us that everyone intended to check in between the ceremony and the reception so we had quite an hour! In fact, you may have seen me trying to speed the line up by making keys and helping other guests with market transactions and the like. We usually do not struggle with the line but were simply overwhelmed. I completely understand how frustrating it can be to have to wait and I am terribly sorry that you had to!

I am also sorry that you found the breakfast lacking but I just want you to know that this was not a part of the room charge but a breakfast that the wedding organizer chose from our packages and paid for separately. I don't want you to have the impression that this breakfast was included in the rate that you paid for your sleeping room.

We appreciate our bridal groups and we love to be a part of their special day! We enjoy the wedding stories and love to see the famiies and friends unite to celebrate love. I hope that this response has helped to alleviate some of your angst and if there is anything that you would care to discuss with me personally I would be happy to talk via telephone or e-mail at your preference.

Julie Traskos
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Overall this location was fine. The hotel did not have an elevator, so be prepared if you have luggage. The location was clean, but Decour slightly dated. Access to the downtown location was very good, less than 10 minutes travel time.

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
University Quality Inn
#14 of 25 in Lansing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lansing at Eastwood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Courtyard Lansing? Share your experiences!